A new modding project

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
NinjaTic

Post by NinjaTic »

I make use of quite a few PCI slots on my mobo. I have 6 slots to play with, and are used as follows:

1) TV card
2) sound card
3) network card
4) modem

Granted that I had very little onboard stuff on my mobo!

Do all motherboards have 66MHz and 33MHz slots? If so, how do you know which is which? :?
neon_chameleon wrote:

Im 22 next week and I cant commit to what Im going to eat for breakfast. I mean cereal is so boring but its quick, and eggs take forever to make and theres the toast to make sure you dont burn....
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

naughty wrote:PCI-X is a server orientated 66mhz slot while what you were looking to say is PCI-E or PCI-EX which stands for PCI-EXPRESS
I was unaware of that, tx for the correction
naughty wrote:you ever tried to use a logitech z 680 with the analog outs on an ac97 set as opposed to digital on a soundstorm certified mobo or even a 5.1 compatible soundblaster audigy2 Zs - i didnt think so
I'm not into audio, and I don't think I ever will be. I just don't care enough :P

re: Hot-swappable compatibility:
In XP, you can hot-swap a standard ATA/SATA HDD. Go to device manager and disable the drive, then unplug it. the difficulty comes in here, because if you don't have a removable HDD bay, you can give your drive quite a shock as you unplug the power, so be careful or get a bay. Plug in the new drive (same applies re: shocking), then go back to device manager and re-enable. Voila! Hot-swap, no power-down required. I've seen it done, although personally I would rather shut down, just in case :P
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
Thug4life

Post by Thug4life »

Good god Raud. YOu either have more money than sense or you are planning on running a server. Why don't you rather get a few 300 gig or 250 gig SATA drives? These are more than fast enought for your average user and will keep your wallet in a more paded form.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

A server it will be, Yes. But if use for games I want it too should run. :P

I do not care what I pay for something if I find exactly what I am looking for. I know what I want before I go out and search for it.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Are you planning on winning the lotto Ruad? You will surely need to.

Anyway, having read the fight, I mean Thread. The matter at hand is not whether there are PCI slots with diff. speeds, nor whether you need 4 PCI slots. Thug wanted to know of any ideas for a case mod (with or without water cooling.)

So back to the topic:
Thug, are you going to use this as you're primary case, or just for LAN's?
anywhay, have you thought of maybe using a silver aluminium Briefcase? You know those they always have in the movies for money/drugs.
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler »

That would be an awesome laptop mod
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
P4 2.8Ghz Prescott
512MB Dual Channel DDR400
128mb 9600xt
120GB SATA
TV,2xSound,IEEE etc...
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Thug4life

Post by Thug4life »

Thanks Kronos. That could be pretty cool. I like the idea of somthing portable that doesn't look like a PC. Hehe with that I may even be able to walk down the street lugging my pc and not be called a geek! :lol: :lol:

I wonder what the cooling in a thing like that would be (or could be made into).
I am still looking 4 other ideas tho.
Education: the path from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty
naughty

Post by naughty »

Do all motherboards have 66MHz and 33MHz slots? If so, how do you know which is which?
well your agp slot operates at 66mhz and is brown in color generally but your standard white pci slot operates at 33mhz - then on server mobos you will fincd PCI-X slots which are also white like the pci which have an extension at the back and are thus a bit longer - they look like one-and-a-half pci slots in a row thus you will never mistake them - they arent important in the desktop markets but there are a few server raid cards that utilise those amongst other things

these are all soon to be replaced by PCI-E x16 to replace AGP while PCI-E x1 slots which will be smaller are going to replace the standard pci slots and all of this will probably be seen when BTX starts becoming the mainstream form factor - though im sure this will be delayed somewhat since it was all an intel initiative and since intel has decided that they are changing their cpu's and have decided on canning a few generations of cpu's to actually bring forward some rather exciting stuff to the market based on their pentium M chips it may take a bit longer - as well as coupled with the fact that socket775 (socket t) hasnt proved to be strong enough yet and is mostly breaking after around 3 cpu replacements which means a bit more work has to be done to ensure its durability
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Thug4life wrote:I wonder what the cooling in a thing like that would be (or could be made into).
Well, it is alluminium, so if you rip out the lining inside the case it should be pretty Cool (no pun intended)
Snail

Post by Snail »

Ya, just add a block of cheese, sum screws, a piece of perspex and u're done. CheesyLaptop Mod complete :D

Post by Guest »

:idea: How about you build a water tight case and mount it inside a working fish tank. You can then use the fish tank as a resivour for watercooling. :D

It's gona be hard, but damn it will look nice, and bound to get you into the PCF mod of the Month :!:
Fishzn

Post by Fishzn »

Yeah, i saw something like that in a pc mag, can't recall if it was PCF, but yeah it looked pretty cool! However you can't keep all types of fish inside, just fish that can handle warmer water than usual, that guy had neon's inside his tank, so they light up everytime the temps increase, the >the temps the brighter they are, kinda like a organic LED(OLED, wonder whether anyones though of this), lol, hehe!

As for other ideas, i'd say you could also try modding hi-fi case! Just hollow most of the stuff, of course you could keep the radio! Cut out an appropriate front panel and then book you have an almost fully modded case! Of course you can re-spray it to the color of your choice, put in your own color theme etc.

Will tell you if i get anymore ideas!
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Inslaine

Post by Inslaine »

How about modding the inside of your car next to the drivers seat a fully working pc, but it can be taken out? Using the car's battery for power etc. lol it's very unpractical but original, i think...............
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Ive seen some with water on the side of the case with plastic fishes drifting in bubbles and water... Looked awesome...

:: I know this is off topic , but plz help :

What happend to the "Game Project" thread... Is the thing still going on???
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
Inslaine

Post by Inslaine »

http://entertainment3.co.za/modules.php ... 758f2fc665

There it is, but the last post was on 1 June.