An apology to the forum

Questions about the forums? Got a suggestion on how things can be improved? Post here!
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

GatsbyDyt wrote:
PaperCut wrote:Good job DAE! :bigups:

btw... what does "Lawyered" mean :huh: :scratch:
First time i heard the word "lawyered" was in the show "How I Met Your Mother", it was so damn funny.
I love that show... but not as much as Arrested Development!!!!

/thread_hijack_over
:rr:
/. Image /. Image /. Image /. Image /.
VoodooProphetII

Post by VoodooProphetII »

Why oh why does this need an apology?

I’m wrong, you right, he’s a chop, or maybe just a rib. Some of us need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Ettiene, yes good on you for apologizing, but frankly I could not care less. To me this whole thing was more entertainment in what I feel seem to be a pretty dull place from time to time. Yes I know I’ve got some psychological problems, but does it really matter. I mean I’m the one that need to deal with it, not you or anybody else.

Some of you take the forum a little too serious at times. And by saying so, I don’t say that I agree with what DX said or done.

Ettiene, still it’s a very noble thing to apologize for what you’ve done. You obviously feel that by your standards you could have acted in a better way, so for that I’ll say good on you man.
pienkie

Post by pienkie »

VoodooProphetII wrote:Why oh why does this need an apology?

I’m wrong, you right, he’s a chop, or maybe just a rib. Some of us need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Ettiene, yes good on you for apologizing, but frankly I could not care less. To me this whole thing was more entertainment in what I feel seem to be a pretty dull place from time to time. Yes I know I’ve got some psychological problems, but does it really matter. I mean I’m the one that need to deal with it, not you or anybody else.

Some of you take the forum a little too serious at times. And by saying so, I don’t say that I agree with what DX said or done.

Ettiene, still it’s a very noble thing to apologize for what you’ve done. You obviously feel that by your standards you could have acted in a better way, so for that I’ll say good on you man.
Wow.

Agreed all the way.
AMD Tri-Core 720BE @ 3.5Ghz
Biostar TA790GX A3+
4gig OCZ Platinum DDR3-1333
ATI HD4890 @ 1050Mhz Mem / 900Mhz Core

3DMark06: 16 529
Doomextreme
Permanently Banned

Post by Doomextreme »

Pff, seriously, apologizing like this, and making you seem like a angel, and me like a demon.

Nice, sounds really respectable doesnt it :(.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Thanks Lance for temporarily unlocking this thread and allowing me to say this.

I didn't read any of what went on (I'm not interested in Crysis at all, so why would I bother reading the thread?) - however, let's look at things from Doomextreme's perspective. He knows what a HDD is, and would expect that anyone else posting on a PC forum would know the same thing, hence the reaction. Maybe his thought process isn't like that, but it's what I would have been thinking.

The reaction that Doomextreme made was wrong, however. There's no reason to flame a genuine newbie that doesn't know this. Previous point about this being a PC forum notwithstanding, it's quite possible that people may join up, knowing absolutely nothing, and with a desire to learn more. As an example, I know absolutely nothing about overclocking, but assuming I wanted to try*, I'd go to the Cooling and Overclocking and attempt to learn more. Failing which, I'll make my post in the knowledge that the community will help me out.

Just to reiterate my point above: instead of flaming the new users, help them to attain your level. The newbie would have learned something new, and you'll be a better person for helping them out.

Now, for the reactions to Doomextreme's post. Like I said, I haven't read them. I don't need to, based on past experiences. However, I have a suggestion for the rest of the forum. Instead of ripping the poor sod apart, how about being more diplomatic about the whole thing? Yes, people in this thread have said "he's a chop". OK, fine. Make him less of a chop then. And no, flaming him is not the way to do it. I know it's easy to be drawn into a flamewar, but try to resist that tempation. You're not doing yourself any good.

Like Lance said, it takes a lot to apologise in public, and so Ett's behaviour is to be really commended. He's had my friendship and respect before this, but his repect points have just gone up. Not many people I know would do that. I know that it's way to much to ask the rest of the people involved in that flamewar to do the same, but if we just put away the negative feelings and start treating each other with respect, this kind of problem would come up far less frequently.

I'm probably in no position to say this, as I used to have a tendency to get into some pretty bad flamewars myself. That was years ago though. I've learned from the mistakes that I've made, and moved on. Hopefully the rest of you can do the same.

* By the way, I wouldn't overclock anyway - I believe that factory defaults are there for a reason. However, that's not the point I was trying to make.

(Lance will probably re-lock this thread now - if he does, and you want to discuss any of my points, you'll have to do so via PM.)
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

jee

Post by jee »

Often, in situations, there are more that the eye can see.

I agree with Ron, please stop the baiting.

I also want to ask very nicely - the mods have been accused of not "taking care of such instances." The mods work a lot behind the scenes, and cannot always be everywhere. Therefore it should be part of the whole community to help maintain the forum. Remember, there are many non-members visiting the forum - one often wonders why they do not join.

Please, if any of the mods have asked the posters to calm down - do so. Do NOT keep on flaming, or post threads of complaints. These will be hidden, as they have last night. We discuss things like this in the mods lounge, and because of the time mods are online, results must are not always immediate.

If you however feel very strongly, do pm a mod with a complaint.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
NealeDeadlyAlien
Registered Bush Snake Facehugger

Post by NealeDeadlyAlien »

Well done DAE. You have my full respect :wink: