The Difference

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
bondi

The Difference

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 03 Jun 2004, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
Dom

Post by Dom »

I've done more Windows installations than I care to remember, and problems like those you experienced, are rare (at least from my experience.)

By the way, Dell isn't the be-all and end-all of PC's. Some of the Windows installations I've done, have been on PC's like the
R4000 Mecer special
you make mention of.

So, you're trying to say that Mac's never give problems? I find that hard to believe. :roll:
\"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; although I am not sure about the former.\" Albert Einstein

November 10th, 2004; I\'m gonna miss you mom :-(
May 3rd, 2007; Missing you gramps :-(
goku

Post by goku »

dom wrote:I've done more Windows installations than I care to remember, and problems like those you experienced, are rare (at least from my experience.)

By the way, Dell isn't the be-all and end-all of PC's. Some of the Windows installations I've done, have been on PC's like the
R4000 Mecer special
you make mention of.

So, you're trying to say that Mac's never give problems? I find that hard to believe. :roll:
I have to agree with Dom,Mac's must have their share problems as well and if they don't then it's boring. I like fixing my pc when it gives me hell.It's how I learn.

The only time windows gives me problems is when I mess around in the registry and mess it up. :oops:
garp

Post by garp »

I've done more Windows installations than I care to remember, and problems like those you experienced, are rare (at least from my experience.)

By the way, Dell isn't the be-all and end-all of PC's. Some of the Windows installations I've done, have been on PC's like the Quote:
R4000 Mecer special
you make mention of.

So, you're trying to say that Mac's never give problems? I find that hard to believe.
I don't know about you but I don't need to look at my CD key(win98SE) any more since I know it in my head(saves lots of time) the computers at my school are those R4000 Mecer specials and they rarly give problems now they are getting replaced with new ones very nice.
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 03 Jun 2004, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

bondi wrote:...Macs suck less.
I'm never going out with any girl with Mac in her name, then. Sorry, Tamsin :-)
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
SquattingDog

Post by SquattingDog »

I Like Kentuckey over Mac :lol:
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

*Gasp* Thrall! Bad boy, bad! :wink:

Hehe...Wonder why people still buy Electrolux? :twisted:
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

Thrall wrote:
BWAHAHA

man that was funny, i am still recovering!
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P
------
a nikonian from South Africa....
Nikonians
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Thrall wrote:
Think about it this way. As long as you're not a mac, it's safe to presume the sucking will improve after marriage. :twisted:
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.

Post by default »

Well I've had my powerbook for about 8 months, and so far so good, even upgraded from Jaguar to Panther there where no problems. I also installed the developer pack so I could compile and install linux apps like nmap.
I have not had a day of trouble yet, my PB gets used and abused everyday.

I use FreeBSD for many things from mail servers, database servers and of couse for hosting purposes. The best thing I have come across on FreeBSD has to be the ports system. Bondi has already gone into the cvsup script that you can run or of course you can schedule it to run at particular intervals. The cvsup script keeps your ports directory up to date. Now getting to the ports directory.... this is brilliant in its own right. All of your ported BSD apps are stored in /usr/ports with a sub directory of the app type so if you are looking for apache it would be in /usr/ports/www a database like mysql would be in /usr/ports/databases etc. you get the idea.

So you want to install Apache 1.3 you simply go to the /usr/port/www/apache13 directory type in make && make install
then the box will go and download all the files you need and install them as it goes. If you need to make certain choices you will be prompted as you go along or in many cases you can simply type in make --with "option name"

so by simply typing in make && make install your systen could download and install any application you require and configure it to a state where you can start using it.

Im sure this might seem a little backwards to the windows folks but in the case of remote administration this is a dream. All you need is ssh access. and you can quickly admin a server in your basement or across the ocean. and its a hell of a lot faster admining something from ssh than from remote desktop
Tex was taken so Default it is....
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

...and enter the rest of the world with our less than par knowledge of WHY our games actually look nice...

Love or hate Gate666 OS, but you have to admit installing a Windows app OS/app is much more idiot proof than anything else out there?
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

Welcome back the bond man! Good to see you back bondi. I always look forward to your cursing of Windows. :P
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

yup....those macs, brilliant pieces of work...I mentioned in another post somewhere (I think it was titled "really stupid") what I think of macs. My reason, well:

opened the G4 we have here at work to put in some more ram. I must say, the case opening thing I love, just pull the little lever, and out pops everything! No freakin cables, no mess, nothing. Very clever! Except for one thing... in their hurry to make everything nice and neat, the geniuses at Apple decided to put the DIMM slots right next to the CPUs (Dual proccessor machine we have). And when I say "right next to", I mean rightnextto. About 5 mm seperates the humongous heatsink from the 1st DIMM slot. and as I said, that piece of metal gets HOT!!!

yup...oh and the windows installation thing? Dude, I have installed windows on various machines MANY times, and the only problem I ever had was with win95, and even then, was not a big problem. Am not exagerating, I am serious.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken