q6600 overclock frustration

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
Fallen

q6600 overclock frustration

Post by Fallen »

I got myself a thermalright ultra 120 extreme today and started messing around with some higher overclocking on my Q6600 B3 revision. Im using a Striker Extreme motherboard and everytime i try go higher than 2880mhz, i cant get it to post, even if i set the vcore up to 1.4v. I cant even get into the bios to set the vaules lower at some stages. i need to keep the pc off for a while and pray that i can get into the bios quick enough next time i power up to change the settings before it hangs again. If i just reset the pc straight away, it hangs when it first shows the cpu signature (even before the ram check) The cmos reset on my motherboard also doesnt seem to be working, unless im using it incorrectly (im just pressing the button).

Ive heard of people just setting their fsb to 1333 to get a 3ghz overclock without even changes any settings.. so surely if i push up the vcore i should be able to easily get 3ghz? wtf am i doing wrong? or is there something screwed in my setup?? any suggestions????
VoodooProphetII

Post by VoodooProphetII »

Fallen, welcome to the forum.

Well I can't really say that I have any experience regarding the Q6600, well maybe none untill next week. What I do know about the 680 and 650 Nvidia Chipset is that they sometimes hang when your overclock fail and they won't even post after you reset the cmos / or clear the cmos. I found that resetting the bios by taking the cmos battery out and shorting the battery connection sometimes fix this problem. The other option would be to take out one of your memory modules (dimms). If randomly found this out when one of my overclock attempts failed and nothing worked, not resetting the bios / cmos or taking the battery out. Just try it, it may help.

The other thing would be the usual ASUS under volt, or vdroop as they call it. Try setting the vcore to 1.44 and see if it helps. The bios stated / set vcore is sometimes lower then the actual vcore.

Hope you come right....
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Fallen, firstly due to our boards having quite a bit of Vdroop, you need quite a bit of Vcore. I'd say up that Vcore a bit more!

Also to use to CMOS auto reset function, you need to push the reset button and then hold in "insert" for a couple of seconds. It should powerup then.

Also what bios version you using? Its always best have your bios updated to the most recent.

Also what multi/FSB you using to get 2.8ghz ?
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

VoodooprophetII, yeah both your suggestions worked. Thanks alot, could now set it back to 2880ghz!

Adn4nced, it works when i use a 1280 fsb on a 9 multiplier (q6600 multipliers are locked at 9) and my memory is set to 885mhz 4-4-4-12. I was wondering if it couldnt maybe be the combination of memory and fsb? or shouldnt that matter?
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

It will matter. What RAM you running? (Make & brand etc.)

Rather let your ram run @ stock timings/speed while you find what Core speed you want your cpu to be running at 24/7. This way it eliminates any problems you may get from your ram being OCed too much...

Also, the multi is not locked @ 9, you can't go higher but you can go lower.

Thus you can achieve a higher FSB.
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

Hey man, i got your pm, but im gonna reply here:

WOW, ok i could go on a LONG time about overclocking this board, its tricky :wink:

Firstly you want the 1303 beta bios, its difficult to find but it overclocks WAY better than the latest 1305 bios(i tested lol...) you should be able to find the 1303 bios here http://www.lejabeach.com/ASUS/Striker/ or hereftp://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock ... 20Extreme/

Next flash the bios using a flash drive and the easy flash in the bios(check your manual for help)

Ok, now as advanced said, you can drop the multi on your quad but you cant up it past 9x. SO set your multi to 6x

Next set your ram to stock settings(i.e. set timings to the stock settings, usually 5-5-5-15) and make sure your ram is running unlinked and at stock speed(usually 800)

Onto voltages. There is a problem with striker extremes that when the bios is set to default the ram voltage is set to 1.8v which is usually not enough for high performance ram. So, what you need to do is set your ram voltage to its stock setting(usually 2.2v).
Also the stirker usually undervolts the VTT voltage to about 1.2V, which should be set to 1.55v for best overclock so change that voltage from "Auto" to 1.55v

Now that the ram and VTT volts are set you should be able to leave everything else on auto(i have had alot of succsess with my board and the 1303 bios by just leaving Vcore and northbridge voltage on auto and overclocking, this way the board decides what is best. The problem is strikers are very pick and can be unstable if to little cvoltage OR TO MUCH voltage is applied for your overclock so you have to get it just right, which takes some trial and error.)

Now set your FSB to 1066(default) and check if it boots, if it is unstable then its probally the CPU so set it to 1.4vcore (remember 6x multi x 266 =~1.6ghz (1066Fsb /4 =266) so your quad will bott slow)

Right now we have isolated the cpu and ram from causeing instabilitys. Now start overclocking your FSB until it is at the spped you will need for the cpu spped you want with a 9x multi(ok thats confusing, what i mean is if you want your quad at 3ghz and 9x multi then your FSB must be 3000mhz/9 = 333.4. since its quad pumped in the bios 333.4*4 =1333.3FSB) So if you wanted 3ghz on your quad. overclock your bios to 1333 and test for stability(with quad still on 6x multi).

what you should do is increase your FSB by 10mhz at a time (*4 in the bios, so add 40 to the fsb in the bios) if it loses stability its your FSB and therefore your northbridge vcore, so go to the bios voltage monitoring feature and check what the NB is @ and then go to the voltages section and take the NB voltage off auto and set it to what ever the value was in the voltage monitoring section + ~0.05V and test for stabiltiy until you reach you FSB "Goal" adding 0.05v each time you lose stability.

Now that we have the FSB stable, you can put your quad up one "notch" to 7x multi, BOOT and test for stability, if its unstable add more Vcore to your quad until its stable. Repeat upping multi and vcore until it is stable at the overclock you want.

next is ram, sam procedure really, either drop timings to 4-4-4-10 or up the mhz and add vdimm for stability

OK, well i hope that helps!!! if need more let me know :wink: also, the reason your cmos reset button isnt working is probley because the cmos clr jumper isnt enabled to connect the button, check the manual for how to do this. oh and what those quad temps, dont let them get over about 65'C, but i doubt they will :wink:

oh and to monitor temps use coretemp and to test for stability use orthos. (google is your friend :wink: )

WOW long guide lol... i hope i have helped a fellow striker user, thease boards are tricky, but the overclock like ANIMALS!!!!

Good luck man!
Rob~!
PCF Dumbass of the Month Award!
"My lungs are in SLI :P"
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

Im using 2x1Gb Kingston hyperx 6400. Thanks ill try lowering the multiplier, wasnt aware that you could.

Thanks a mil once again rob. Ill give it a shot. Just one thing tho: what would be the max safe NB voltage?
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

ive gone up to 1.7 NB, but it seems to get very messy when i do (PC doesnt show ANY post messages)
Last edited by Fallen on 26 Oct 2007, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

um i would keep it below say, 1.6v

put one of the thermal sensors that came with the board in the northbridge heatsink, and monitor it with everest. dont let it get above about 60'c if it doe sput a 80mm fan on it..

Rob~!
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

hmm ok, i followed everything you said, but i still cant get it to post?? wtf am i missing? :?
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

even if i set the fsb to 1286 i get the same problem, seems very sensitive to the 1280 boundry...
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

Ahh i got it sorted!! Flashed the bios again, and voila!! dunno if i accidentally selected the newer bios or what, but its all good. Thanks for your post Rob!!

Dunno why ASUS releases a newer bios that is even ****** than the old one. Heard they had some troubles with their updating utility aswell. Youd think these are huge companies that know what they are doing?? Seem more like a bunch of monkeys to me. But anyways, gg.
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

yea, asus are weird.. just FYI dont use the windows bios flashing utility, as it can screw up, use easy flash II with a flash drive from within the bios. oh if you want maybe try bios 1004, i hear that it overclocks better than 1303 but i havnt tried. But deff the best ATM is 1303beta bios. overclocks the BEST!.

so now you have a good cooler and an awsome quad!! PUSH IT! you should be able to make 3.6ghz on air, i wanna see!!?!?

im getting a q6600 soon aswell, will be interesting to see how it clocks under water.

Rob~!