IT Ideas

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
junjun

IT Ideas

Post by junjun »

Hi Guys

Well, like the Topics says "IT Ideas",thats what im looking for, anything and everthing that will make the life of an IT Specailist easier.

For eg: I setup Wireless AP's accross all our Boardrooms , to do away with the need to have cables running around, we also setup Radius on our Wireless Network as well for authentication and i also setup a deployement Server to do all our Software installs and Conifigs.

basically , im hoping this thread will be of some use , where we can put in our ideas to help in any IT enviroment ,be it corporate or SME
douglash

Post by douglash »

MOM server for all office applications...

also a WSUS server to make life easier.

8)

edit: also, a file server purely for backup of information, that's if they are not on a domain already though...
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Ive set up a PC as a server dedicated for automation purposes.

Like sending daily reports, using Windows Task scheduler and batch commands
Sending messages and emails ect.
_SamIAm_

Post by _SamIAm_ »

douglash wrote:MOM server for all office applications...

also a WSUS server to make life easier.

8)

edit: also, a file server purely for backup of information, that's if they are not on a domain already though...
QFT, although i prefer symantec Ghost a awesome tool which you can go as far as rebuilding machines remotely 8) and of course WSUS is a must have! ISA2004 is also pretty awesome for you internet and firewall needs
junjun

Post by junjun »

Thanks , Sounds Good, Although we have most of them live on our Production Network,

Currently , we trying Virtualisation on our networks , its pretty cool, i have 5 VS running on one server, so it pretty much saves alot on cost and space and down time is practically zero now.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

have you looked at RouterOS? works well as a Radius server for wireless auth. never mind the numerous routing abilities
Port Elizabeth Wireless User Group
www.pewifi.co.za
junjun

Post by junjun »

Thanks
will check it out
Mow

Post by Mow »

Dude unless you have a very large campus type network with allot of guest access or the need to secure very sensitive data, radius is not worth it. Besides if security is a concern and you have extra budget. Have a look at the enterasys c2/3 switches and the per user policy based authentication. These babies dynamicly allocate a user to a policy based on the type of data they are sending. Guest is authenticated ... pushed through a certain vlan based on the fact that he is sending http. As soon as that user start sending ofdm his dropped into a block hole vlan. Case 2 , your web designer is allocated a user standard amount of bandwidth , that is until he uploads the new site to a specified remote webserver. The policy will automaticly be adjusted to allow him more bandwidth or reroute him out a different gateway.

These make you life really simple.
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
EVILer

Post by EVILer »

Forget Ghost :!: Forget MOM :!:

ALTIRIS.....thats where the gold is :twisted: :twisted:

Google it, i work for a large bank(blue) bank and we run it across the whole country!
I cant sit in joburg and load windows and software on a pc in cape town with patches and drivers. But it can also be your worst nightmare if you dont know what you are doing. one guy by accident reloaded and entire floor of about 500+ workstations when he wasnt looking!

but look it up if you want power at your finger tips!
Intel 3.4 Dual Core
4 GB DDR 800
XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB
2 X 250GB SATA
2 X 320GB SATA
1 X 120GB IDE
Coolermaster WC System
Gigabyte 3D Aurora570 Case
2 X Acer 19\\\" Wide LCD
junjun

Post by junjun »

Altiris is awesome man, we using it here, including the altiris notification and deployment servers, its super powerful, its scary
EVILer

Post by EVILer »

Ye you can cause some serious damage if you dont look what you are doing!

im loading about 20 pc's at the moment and its flying!
Intel 3.4 Dual Core
4 GB DDR 800
2 X 250GB SATA
2 X 320GB SATA
1 X 120GB IDE
Coolermaster WC System
2 X Acer 19\\\" Wide LCD
douglash

Post by douglash »

Altiris looks really good, but please explain how you deploy an OS installation remotely if the HDD is formatted...

can you give a quick rundown of how you deploy 20 at a time please?
EVILer

Post by EVILer »

There are a number of ways in doing this, we use PXE, its basically a dos Bootup option that Altiris uses with your mac address to identify you on the notification and deployment server. All new NIC's have this built in.

so this is very basically what happens.

you boot your pc up using PXE(also not that you must have a whole lot of network configurations already set to work with this ie. VLAN, DHCP) and your VLAN will point you to the correct deployment server wher it puts you on hold after downloading the correct dos boot disk.

then on the deployment server or console you will see this pc as its serial number ie. czc972dp. In the console you have already set up jobs(loading OS, apps, actually anything you can do on a pc you can create a job for this is way to long to explain now)then you drag that job to the pc and the server takes it from there. format load OS, apps, whatever. one job or 200 jobs.

and then you are basically done.

and that is a VERY basic idea of how this works VERY basic. :lol:
Intel 3.4 Dual Core
4 GB DDR 800
2 X 250GB SATA
2 X 320GB SATA
1 X 120GB IDE
Coolermaster WC System
2 X Acer 19\\\" Wide LCD
douglash

Post by douglash »

sw33t - i need to get this to start playing around with it...

can you tell me how much it costs?
EVILer

Post by EVILer »

well thats gona be a problem! how many hundreds of thousand do you have lying around :lol:

you do however get a trial version, the other problem is that its not really like you can just start playing around. i went for 2 full week course to LEARN how to use it and there are still things i dont know. i have 4 books as big as an MCSE handbook each.

ill have a look for the trial and get back to you.
Intel 3.4 Dual Core
4 GB DDR 800
2 X 250GB SATA
2 X 320GB SATA
1 X 120GB IDE
Coolermaster WC System
2 X Acer 19\\\" Wide LCD
douglash

Post by douglash »

if it is worthwhile, i may approach management to allow me to purchase and install it...

i just can't seem to find a cost anywhere on the site...

oh, and money is not really a problem with this company, if it's a viable option...
EVILer

Post by EVILer »

i dont think you will get a cost on the site, they have a whole specialized sales team that analizes your needs and then works out the correct type of deal for the company, the software is scalable so you dont always need all the functionality.

i cant find my training cd with the trial on it.

what i suggest is to contact them, they will give a whole sales pitch if you are really interested.
Intel 3.4 Dual Core
4 GB DDR 800
2 X 250GB SATA
2 X 320GB SATA
1 X 120GB IDE
Coolermaster WC System
2 X Acer 19\\\" Wide LCD