(Not So)Noob question...

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
RobThePyro

(Not So)Noob question...

Post by RobThePyro »

Noob question i know....

Ok so if i have my FSB @ 400mhz & E6600 @ 3.2ghz with 8x multi stable, and then i put my E6600 up to 9x multi(3.6GHz) and its not stable then obviously i increase my vcore...

but i whacked my vcore up to 1.6v just to be SURE it was stable but orthos keeps giving me errors like, consolt stress.txt etc...

so my (noob) question is, if you up your CPU's multi, do you need to change any other voltages other than Vcore? for example your NB or SB voltage to get it stable? i would have said no, because your NB isnt working harder, just your cpu.....

lol...
Rob~!
Last edited by RobThePyro on 15 Oct 2007, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
PCF Dumbass of the Month Award!
"My lungs are in SLI :P"
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

thats not a noob question... thats a bloody good one... :? :?
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

LOL ok.... eish im trying to figure it out now... Gosh these bloddy 680I chipsets, they are like high mainatnce girlfriends!!!! the sex is SOOO good but SOOO hard to keep them happy... lol

Like if i put more than 1.45v into my NB i LOSE stability... lol...

Rob~!
psYChowIt

Post by psYChowIt »

Wondering the same thing coz I wanna make 4.0Ghz hehe (you have to have goals in life!)
douglash

Post by douglash »

Rob - not sure bout what voltage settings you got, but when i went for 4ghz i upped my NB and also my FSB termination voltage in order to get there...

what other settings do you have in the bios?
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

LOL, solved my problems guys!!! 1.7Vcore FTW!!!! lol...

According to everest im losing 0.1-0.15v to vdroop... so im actually only putting 1.62vcore underload, when set to 1.7Vcore in bios... the rest of my settings are the same as my 3.2ghz stable setup. GOSH MY E6600 IS VOLT HUNGRY!!!!! last time i set it to 1.7Vcore was for 4Ghz, which was not stable at all.. lol...

@ psYChowIt 4ghz is EASY! 4.1 is the ***** lol....

!YAY! 3.6ghz 15min orthos stable now!!! woot! before orthos was dying before 1 min... lol... i have never actually tried to get 3.6ghz stable before for day to day....

oh and guys i was wondering whats the standard "stock" voltage for an E6600... lol i have never known, i have been OCíng from day one....

Rob~!
douglash

Post by douglash »

ROFL @ Rob - you're funny dude... :lol:
psYChowIt

Post by psYChowIt »

4 ghz is my target when I get ma new coola
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

that is so not a noob question...... i know nothing bout overclocking.. :lol:
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Doomextreme
Permanently Banned

Post by Doomextreme »

I have no idea what that guy is asking :S, I THINK YOU SHOULD ACTUALLY SPEAK NOOB LANGUAGE :P.
NealeDeadlyAlien
Registered Bush Snake Facehugger

Post by NealeDeadlyAlien »

DarkRanger wrote:thats not a noob question... thats a bloody good one... :? :?
Thats What I thought lol, I get confused with Vcores and Ncores and Zcores etc... lol :)
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

LOL!>>> ok my noob-pro-amature overclocking question :wink:

anyone wanna buy my E6600? it does 4ghz, I need a quad lol...

Rob~!
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

dude, you think you have issues. i got my new ballistix today (pretty LEDs) they run well at rated speeds but I can't seem to OC the rest of my system back to what it used to be. mY system will run at 360FSB (just booted at 400FSB) but it used to run at 430FSB. I am pushing 2.2v into my RAM at stock speeds and my cpu is getting a nice gushing +150mV.

busy benching 3dmark06 now (8800GTS is at stock) but i doubt score will be over 9k so I won't even post screenies, although this is just a little E6300 I suppose it isn't too bad.

I can also officially say that if you can get a 8800 then get one, the sheer power that these cards have in Dx9 games is amazing, its a nice feeling to set yor driver settings to max and never seeing a dropped frame or anything like that (just realised I'm running 3DMark06 with my driver settings overriding application settings, lol, everything is set to max.lol)

EDIT:
Final 3dmark06 score... 8106 I AM NOT PLEASED.

EDIT EDIT:
Just OC'ed the 8800GTS core from 513 to 580, my 3DMARK06 score jumped to 8444, busy running ATiTool to find max memory

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
OC'ed Clcok to 580 and memory to 900, i now get 9291 :)

SCREENIE
[img]http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/killerbyte/?action=view&current=bench-results01.jpg[/img]
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

RobThePyro wrote:LOL!>>> ok my noob-pro-amature overclocking question :wink:

Rob~!
Wanna lick my balls?

j/k, tastless, but still a joke.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
douglash

Post by douglash »

so my (noob) question is, if you up your CPU's multi, do you need to change any other voltages other than Vcore? for example your NB or SB voltage to get it stable? i would have said no, because your NB isnt working harder, just your cpu.....
Rob - reading over your OP again, here's a thought, if you OC your CPU it means you are running it faster, and to run it faster you need to increase the voltage to get it faster right? right! now, if you run your cpu faster, it runs almost everything else faster, RAM, Mobo, etc. so you would need to increase at least your NB voltage to help it cope with the speed increase from the cpu...

sorry, just a late thought... not sure if that makes sense to anyone else, but it does to me...
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

KillerByte wrote:dude, you think you have issues. i got my new ballistix today (pretty LEDs) they run well at rated speeds but I can't seem to OC the rest of my system back to what it used to be. mY system will run at 360FSB (just booted at 400FSB) but it used to run at 430FSB. I am pushing 2.2v into my RAM at stock speeds and my cpu is getting a nice gushing +150mV.
KB YOU NOOB! lol Jk.. dude set your multi on your cpu to 6x and up volts to +0.2Vcore, just to be sure, then set ram to stock speeds and voltages and up FSB to 400. Boot and test for stability with orthos untill its more than 1 hour stable, if its unstably up NB vcore. next put your cpu multi up one notch at a time (6x400= 2400mhz 7x400=2800mhz 8x400=3200mhz etc) until you get to the speed you want to run at(i assuming this will either be 2.8ghz or 3.2ghz) and up your CPU Vcore when you lose stability. next push you ram as much as you want, but try keep a nice divider(i.e. at 400FSB you could run 1:1 and have DDR2-800, but stay away from like 9:13 or even 1:3 as you will lose a tiny bit of performance)

I promise you an overclock like this for day to day will give you GREAT performance....

Oh and dont tell me about not getting high FSB, i mean i have had my rig boot at 510fsb before but now i have been trying to get it stable at 450(so i can run my ram 1:1 and get DDR2-900 and cl3 timings) but it wont do it... 425 seems to be my max stable day to day setting, even though i can bench at 500.... so 400fsb it is for now.... lol....

douglash wrote:
Rob - reading over your OP again, here's a thought, if you OC your CPU it means you are running it faster, and to run it faster you need to increase the voltage to get it faster right? right! now, if you run your cpu faster, it runs almost everything else faster, RAM, Mobo, etc. so you would need to increase at least your NB voltage to help it cope with the speed increase from the cpu...

sorry, just a late thought... not sure if that makes sense to anyone else, but it does to me...
No i dissagree, in order to increase my CPU speed i upped my multiplyer, which as you know multiplys the front side bus speed to get the cpu speed, by doing this i increased the clock rate at which the cpu runs but NOT the fsb speed or the ram speed, they remained the same. so the ram and fsb worked just as hard as they did but the cpu works harder because it does more clock cycles per second or mhz.

i hope you can understand what im saying lol... and to prove i left all my settings the same as my stable 3.2ghz setup but i pushed my cpu multi up to 9x givving me 400x9=3.6ghz, quite a jump. with vcore at 1.6v(0.1-0.15vdroop) i got orthose error at ~30s with 1.65vcore(-vdroop again) i got about 20min orthos stable and at 1.7vcore(-vdroop=~1.64Vcore) img etting more than 2 hours stable but not 100% yet (i wanna put 1.75vcore but my temps are to high even with my water... which is not the waters fault :wink: cause the ambient temp is like 22'C and my cpu is @45'C idle so i need to lap my cpu, but first i ordered some of the best heatcompound-collerlaborotory liquid metal pro- iv read some reveiews saying it dropped temps 10-15'C. When i get it ill do a full review for you guys and see what the temp diffrences are bettween that and Arctic silver ceramique)

Rob~!
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

Hman wrote:
RobThePyro wrote:LOL!>>> ok my noob-pro-amature overclocking question :wink:

Rob~!
Wanna lick my balls?

j/k, tastless, but still a joke.
Oh and Hman dude!!! WTF! :?: :?: :!: :!: 8O 8O

Dude... get your girlfriend to do it, i was just making a comment that i wated to play with a quad core... lol.. eish

Rob~!
douglash

Post by douglash »

Rob - for sure, i get what you saying... it makes sense... so if you going to up the FSB then you would need to up the voltage on cpu, NB, etc. but if you just up the multi then you wouldn't need to...

i concur with you on that one... :wink:
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

i'm starting to see the benefit of the 680i chipset (the whole changing the RAM speed seperately to the FSB speed)

I am running stable at 400FSB now, ran ORTHOS no errors for 6h21min (thats just the CPU test) but when I run the RAM test I get a error in 10s. I'm going to mess around with the voltages later on (atill in bed)
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.