Slasher's First Mod (Trees Beware!)

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

ur numberplate is showing :P
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

Spicy-McHaggis wrote:ur numberplate is showing :P
lol...
PCF Dumbass of the Month Award!
"My lungs are in SLI :P"
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Making what kind of difference? It shows in public 24/7...

That, and the fact that that is actually NOT my car, but someone elses makes me not be bothered...

Your just jealous coz there is a Focus in the pic... :)
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

Slasher wrote:Your just jealous coz there is a Focus in the pic... :)
Is that the new focus on steroids :P ?

if so then yes :lol:
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

any chance I could get one made out of Mahogany, :)
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Nice man! Haven't seen a wood mod in ages. I want to see some more!!!
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Spicy, well... Its an ASPIRING focus on steroids... And older aspiring one maybe, but still aspiring... give it a few years, the owner is due for a new car next year...

KB - Mahogany was an option I was considering... Do you however realise the price implications in that? Maybe for my reincarnation (if I ever do do it) I will sell this one and make a very fancy and expensive case. However, I am starting to consider marriage and the likes, and the costs thus assosciated for the next few years are a bit over budget as is, never mind spending on the PC...

Thanx Samaya. Hoping to start some varnish on the PSU box this week just to get the feel and look a bit. I might need to ask your help when I start doing my wiring on the lighting inside my case, but yeah...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Ok...

Man, I am so overdue for an update... Sorry guys - I just dont get around to it.

A text update is coming though...
1) The biggest work still remaining on my case is this - IO Panel at back needs to be cut, the PSU holes need to be made so it can be fixed. Then on the side panels I need to cut my window logo's out, but that should actually go quite fast. Then it is down to just fixing the blocks into which my side and radiator panels will fit. Then it is down to gluing a few object together to get some things fit and tight. Then I sand, varnish, sand, varnish...

I had a few ideas which I think were awesome - my case feet and the radiator grill on the top (protruding box in which radiator resides).

I cant wait to get this finished. Should finish the IO Panel and PSU holes on the back piece of wood this weekend (Saturday). Then I have to glue the top, bottom, back and front together. Then I just need to fit my front USB and audio panels as well and I am set.

I am so awaiting my case, but everything else is getting into my modding time - heck, even looking for wedding venues is priority...

I will try and post a pic after the weekends work just so you guys see where I am at, then you only get final pics... That is my surprise routine - When I mod, I dont stop and take pictures... I work work work...
My BF2142 Stats:

wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

I don't know if it has been said before.With this type of mod you want to make sure it's earthed.... :D

Nice going "/er"
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Well, it will be earthed through the PSU would it not? If I earth everything to the PSU and the PSU cable is connected to the earth, it should be fine, not true?
My BF2142 Stats:

wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Slasher wrote:Well, it will be earthed through the PSU would it not? If I earth everything to the PSU and the PSU cable is connected to the earth, it should be fine, not true?
the HDD,cdrom and motherboard needs to be earth aswell.Have you ever touched a case and got a buzzing feeling in your fingers.....

That is a very good example of leaked current.It's not always the case it self but the power source(plugs,leeds,multiplugs) not being earthed.Now this same would go for the HHD and cdrom it would have leaked current that can't go any where..and can lead to a discharge...it could hurt the hardware
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Ok. So if I ran a piece of wired that is connected to the HDD, Mobo and DVD to the PSU box it should be earthed, right?

Ive had that tingling sensation with coaxial cables when we used to network with those back in the day quite a lot... Man, that was fun... Love the feeling...
My BF2142 Stats:

wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Slasher wrote:Ok. So if I ran a piece of wired that is connected to the HDD, Mobo and DVD to the PSU box it should be earthed, right?

Ive had that tingling sensation with coaxial cables when we used to network with those back in the day quite a lot... Man, that was fun... Love the feeling...
Nope no wires......I'm sure you could find another way.But go ahead with the mod did some further research it doesn't look like any of the other wooden PC cases earth their hardware the is just to be on the safe side....

If you worried get a tester....If you have a good power supply it's should earth all hardware via the power supply....

Cheap power supply's on the other hand might not do a good enough job
Last edited by wizardofid on 20 Sep 2007, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

How then? considering that my case feet is made of wood, I place my pc on wood... My trays in which I put the HDD / DVD is made of wood...

Thus unless I use a piece of copper wire that touches all the drives, there is no way in hell I can ground them...
My BF2142 Stats:

wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Slasher wrote:How then? considering that my case feet is made of wood, I place my pc on wood... My trays in which I put the HDD / DVD is made of wood...

Thus unless I use a piece of copper wire that touches all the drives, there is no way in hell I can ground them...
This is for a patent but it explains more or less what I mean...the current does have a return path via the PSU however any leaked current would use metal to discharge if in direct contact with the PSU wires wouldn't cope well infact I know II had a problem with my case and earthed the PSU with a wire to the case it burnt the wire
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/58237 ... ption.html
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Yar, that is a heck of a lot of reading...

My question is this then - How am I supposed to earth it?

Im thinking now - My current pc setup in my gigabyte case - the hdd does not touch the metal case either - It sits on those plastic screwless brackets. Thus it is not earthed in any case... If it needs to blow, it needs to blow then... Sad reality for my budget...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Alrighty, some pre-final pics...

Yes, the image is sideways... Im lazy like that... This is looking at the top of my case to my rad box. My power switches (Vandal switches, thanx DAE!!)also resides in this. My radiator fans, sitting underneath it, will have LED's in them, as well as I will have 2 led's in my 'box' to light up through the grill...

Right, looking from the side, into my case. You will see the IO panel at the back. Everything fits just right. Also have the holes for the mobo studs. The back of my case is thus 'insert' from there, going deeper down...

PSU hole at the back went a bit skew, long story short - had to cut it square like it is. Not what I wanted, but will have to do. Is fine, the rest of the case will overshadow the ugly PSU in any event...

the side panelsa are not in any pic - They are slightly rebated - about 3mm on the edges and thus fit 'into' my case somewhat. They are still only square - the logo has not been cut into either one of the two.

also, in the front, above my CD Writer slit, I will be adding another small "s" logo, which will have red plexi behind it. Then I will point a laser LED at it and that will serve as my HDD activity light... If it is too bright at the front, shining into my eyes, I will just add a second red piece of plexi behind the first one to dim it a bit more...

Also, the front grill will house another 120mm fan to provide airflow into case and cool HDD's. Will also have 2 red LED's to light up through front grill.

A shot to give an idea what the case will look like - Flash doesnt make it look right though...

Without flash - even worse when taking it under the green plexi roof on our 'stoep'...

Lots of sanding, few layers of varnish still to go - will be smoother than the pics you see - Those are still in progress and require more sanding...

This is just to show you the cool case feet I made :) No more purpose than that...

And yeah, that is all I have for now - Gimme a month or two to get final pictures for you guys...
My BF2142 Stats:

psYChowIt

Post by psYChowIt »

Wowee!
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Hey Slasher your mod is coming along very nicely, well done mate keep it up
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Thanks guys... Quickly did some drilling as well tonight... Will most likely push a bit more on this mod during this weekend. Then tuesday again, then the weekend...

I just want to get this mod done now - wanna get it finish and klaar...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Another small text update...

I have finished cutting the windows out of both my sidepanels.

logo at the front as well, but that was a bit of a screwup. It just changes what I do ever so slightly and should end up looking even more cool... Will have a slightly lighter edge of wood in a square around my front logo...

Once that is done, I clamp and glue my case together. Then I just have to add the blocks to which the side panels and rad lid at the top screw into.

Then I will be sanding / varnish- and staining like a dog... Man, thats gonna suck...

Then I add the electronics (Lights) and water and presto, its done. Will finish front during week hopefully, next weekend clamp case... Then its just all the time it will take to paint that is gonna be crap. Sanding takes darn long, painting in such a full case is not easy either...

EDIT - Just have to add, I think the S cut on the right hand side of my case looks awesome... The effect just really works... Just wait for it guys :twisted: :twisted:

Im hoping to get this mod over and done by end November at the latest... Got a darn busy schedule (Only mod on tuesday evenings and saturday mornings, unless there is something else in that time slot, then I dont even mod then...)
My BF2142 Stats:

DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

Looks very good slasher. SHWEET!
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Thanks DR...

Im really wanting to get this done so I can get the final feeling of the mod...

It sucks that my time is keeping me so busy I hardly get to mod...

Looking at the pics again, the colour should end up roughly the same as the HDD tray as you see it through the front panel on my case...

1st Pic's glimpse of HDD tray also has the colour quite close to what it should look like...

Still trying to figure out exactly where I want to put my LED's to get the bestest of best effects, but will see...
My BF2142 Stats:

DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

I think for optimal LED shine, you should chrome a small part around the LED. Like where the LED's will be, that part of wood, spray it with chrome. I think that should give it a small boost.
psYChowIt

Post by psYChowIt »

once again... Wowee