Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Millions hit by Monster site hack

Post by Anthro »

Jobs portal Monster.com has released more details about the severity of the attack on its site.

It said confidential details of more than 1.3 million people, mainly Americans, were stolen by malicious hackers who carried out the attack.

It said that servers in the Ukraine and hijacked home computers were used to mount the attack.

Monster said the information was stolen to lend credibility to e-mails sent out as part of a phishing campaign.

Bank job

The thieves got away with names, addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of Monster.com users.

The job site said that the thieves did not get any useful financial information such as bank account details in the attack.

Monster told the Reuters news agency that it first heard about the attack on 17 August thanks to security firm Symantec.

The jobs portal said it managed to shut down the rogue servers used in the attack on 21 August after contacting the Ukranian company hosting them.

These servers were used to get access to Monster's database using stolen login details.

The attackers wanted to get hold of personal information in an attempt to make e-mails supposedly sent by recruitment firms more plausible.

By getting people to open the fake e-mails and click on the attachments the thieves aimed to steal more saleable information or hijack an infected machine.

The vast majority of those affected by the attack are based in the US. Monster estimates that less than 5,000 people outside the US had their details pinched in the attack.

Monster said it had more than 73 million CVs in its database.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6961880.stm
Temporary Absence
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Guess a lot of peeps will be getting job offers soon.
Anyay, I wonder is hackrs get hacked themselves. Or virus vreators that get's infected.

it would be funny to see a virus programmer installing an antivirus prog.
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

I wonder who the best hacker is at the moment.. ?
Temporary Absence
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Would these guys even show their faces? Any attacks and your on a list of possibilities. 8O
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Bump-Double post...again...
Last edited by Frozenfireside on 17 Sep 2007, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

SoulBlade wrote:Guess a lot of peeps will be getting job offers soon.
They used to do that but I asked my lecturer about it and they now just lock you up if you hack.

***** its like putting a cherry on top of being naughty and saying well done...heres a job. So they gave up.

Did anyone see that documentary on the cyber warfare on History channel last night?
Really good stuff-There was that story bout the 14Y/o who hacked double digit numbers of PC's/servers and launched a virus to take out the whitehouse server.
In-sane ability for a 14 y/o.

If anyone wants to know of a great tool for turing a PC into a zombie-find back orifice / BO2K. Obviously I dont promote the use of it but the more you know...
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(