Wireless Antennas. Worth it?

Network problem solving and tweaks
WAJeff

Wireless Antennas. Worth it?

Post by WAJeff »

Im thinking about getting myself one of these. We got one of those cheap Helkom routers sitting downstairs and Im upstairs in my room, at the opposite end of the house. I get 1, maybe 2 bars of signal if Im lucky.
I was wondering, so I need one of these things, and do they really work?

This is the one Im looking at

:arrow: LINK
Da_V

Post by Da_V »

yip they work if you direct the radiation pattern to spread througout the house and it would work better if you mount it in the roof coz they have trouble going through brick walls
EDIT: or you could just get a range extender but thats costs more
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Silverback - I was considering getting the same thing to attach to the PCI Wifi card in my wife's PC. Unfortunately for me, my Netgear WGT624 has a fixed antenna :(
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Da_V wrote:yip they work if you direct the radiation pattern to spread througout the house and it would work better if you mount it in the roof coz they have trouble going through brick walls
EDIT: or you could just get a range extender but thats costs more
Thats a brilliant idea, I think Im gonna go play around with my router tomorrow, and maybe steal my dads antenna, its one of those ones that has a extension between the antenna and the WiFi card jack
FUSED

Post by FUSED »

You could also try this.

Made one the other day and I've actually got a signal in my room now, where I had none.

And if you double the size you get double the boost. (Haven't tried that yet though, printers to small. :idea: Maybe should try printing on 2 pages and joining them.)
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

I got myself one of those, and it sorted out the signal problems that I was having.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

I just got one of these from Sybaritic this morning. Hooked it up to my wife's PC. Signal went from "Very Low" to "Excellent" (using a Netgear 108Mbps PCI Card). Works very well....and its nice and tiny to fit on the corner of her desk. DVD Streaming over the network is no longer a problem :thumbsup:

M1K3

Post by M1K3 »

Hey guys, instead of starting a new thread, I'd like to know who would be able to offer advice on setting up a wireless LAN between two houses on the same block. They are about 500m apart with line of sight. Would two CPE's from Microtek configured as bridge work? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

M1K3 wrote:Hey guys, instead of starting a new thread, I'd like to know who would be able to offer advice on setting up a wireless LAN between two houses on the same block. They are about 500m apart with line of sight. Would two CPE's from Microtek configured as bridge work? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Are you using the RB133c in the CPE?

You will need to set un as an AP and the other as station. Those units work well, dont see any problem with it.
Port Elizabeth Wireless User Group
www.pewifi.co.za
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

M1K3 wrote:Hey guys, instead of starting a new thread, I'd like to know who would be able to offer advice on setting up a wireless LAN between two houses on the same block. They are about 500m apart with line of sight. Would two CPE's from Microtek configured as bridge work? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
You in CT? I can always come through to you and sort you out. Im thinking you might need a Access Point to boost the signal between the two points

Gimme a shout if you need help bro
Mow

Post by Mow »

The thing about microtek is that they are able to push out 4watt the legal amount in our broadcast region is 75 milliwatt. So yea , if they have any form of an antenna built in and you have line of sight your sorted. Just note that you have to add the mounting brackets and poles to your budget and those arent cheap.
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

silv3rback wrote: Im thinking you might need a Access Point to boost the signal between the two points

Don’t see this being necessary

Its just a point-to-point link, no need for a seperate AP. One CPE running as an AP and the other as a station. If the units have decent mini-PCI cards (i.e. MT-R52 routerboard dual band cards) you wont need to boost any signal, thats provided there is no signal loss or interfearance.
www.pewifi.co.za
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Mow wrote:The thing about microtek is that they are able to push out 4watt the legal amount in our broadcast region is 75 milliwatt. So yea , if they have any form of an antenna built in and you have line of sight your sorted. Just note that you have to add the mounting brackets and poles to your budget and those arent cheap.
The output power of any wireless unit is governed by the wireless card. All MikroTik (not note Microtek) units sold in SA through the authorized suppliers ar all ICASA approved, so they only put out the authorized amount of power.
www.pewifi.co.za
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Gromit wrote:
silv3rback wrote: Im thinking you might need a Access Point to boost the signal between the two points

Its just a point-to-point link, no need for a seperate AP. One CPE running as an AP and the other as a station. If the units have decent mini-PCI cards (i.e. MT-R52 routerboard dual band cards) you wont need to boost any signal, thats provided there is no signal loss or interfearance.
This is the way I see it working out:

House A: Router + PC
House B: PC

Router with WiFi connection connects to PC A, PC B connects to router. Just get an antenna, hook it up to the router or PC A and there you go

If push comes to shove you might have to install a WAP

Correct me if Im wrong
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

silv3rback wrote:
Gromit wrote:

This is the way I see it working out:

House A: Router + PC
House B: PC

Router with WiFi connection connects to PC A, PC B connects to router. Just get an antenna, hook it up to the router or PC A and there you go

If push comes to shove you might have to install a WAP

Correct me if Im wrong
You are wrong.

PC B will not have enough power on the supposed PCI wireless card to send data back over the 500m. Your best option will be a point-to-point link as I proposed.
www.pewifi.co.za
M1K3

Post by M1K3 »

Hey guys, well I'm up in Northern KZN, but thanks for the offer silv3back :)

Was thinking of getting two of these:

http://www.miro.co.za/detail.php?cat=13&sub=55&id=4870

The RRP from Miro doesn't seem too bad

honestly though this sort of thing is new to me and I assume you configure these devices via a http interface, or winbox for the microtek equipment.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

M1K3 wrote:Hey guys, well I'm up in Northern KZN, but thanks for the offer silv3back :)

Was thinking of getting two of these:

http://www.miro.co.za/detail.php?cat=13&sub=55&id=4870

The RRP from Miro doesn't seem too bad

honestly though this sort of thing is new to me and I assume you configure these devices via a http interface, or winbox for the microtek equipment.
To my knowledge that unit has a web interface as well as a serial port.

Do you mind me asking what you are paying for it?
www.pewifi.co.za
Mow

Post by Mow »

@ grommit. The products bought from miro and other disty's are iscasa approved. But there is a reason you are able to by parts and assemble them yourself. :-)

You have two other options.

Buy two standard AP's ( Netgear WG602's ) connect high gain antenna. This option is easier and probably much cheaper. ( With performance being the downside)

Option two is to shell out the cash for Proxim bridges think TMP11 5054's . There are no better outdoor products on the market and I would invite anyone to argue the point.( Colubris being the exception)
Last edited by Mow on 18 Oct 2007, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
M1K3

Post by M1K3 »

Well, I'll order it through my local ISP here, but the RRP is R1151 (each) and the RRP pricelist can be found here:

http://www.miro.co.za/downloads/Miro_di ... celist.xls

I'm gonna go see my ISP a little later and find out what he can offer me...
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Mow wrote: Option two is to shell out the cash for Proxim bridges think TMP11 5054's . There are no better outdoor products on the market and I would invite anyone to argue the point.
What do you base this on?
www.pewifi.co.za
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

M1K3 wrote:

Well, I'll order it through my local ISP here, but the RRP is R1151 (each) and the RRP pricelist can be found here:

Take a look at the MC-5820, I know it is a little pricey (R1770 RRP) but there is allot more functionality in the routerboard never mind the 20dBi antenna compared to the 9dBi of the Senao.
www.pewifi.co.za
M1K3

Post by M1K3 »

Gromit wrote:
M1K3 wrote:

Take a look at the MC-5820, I know it is a little pricey (R1770 RRP) but there is allot more functionality in the routerboard never mind the 20dBi antenna compared to the 9dBi of the Senao.
Sounds good, thanks... :)

I chatted to one of the guys at Miro about this unit orignaly, I will need to get Mikrotek level 4 license for each device but the extra price isn't too bad... If memory serves it was about R220
Mow

Post by Mow »

Gromit wrote:
Mow wrote: Option two is to shell out the cash for Proxim bridges think TMP11 5054's . There are no better outdoor products on the market and I would invite anyone to argue the point.
What do you base this on?
4 Years of experience with a multitude of different products from 1mbps to 400mb full duplex units going for R550 000each. Performance, Reliability ease of installation. Also a 2ms response on a half-duplex radio over 10km is nothing to frown at with 36 true throughput(halfd).
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Nothing wrong with Mikrotik.

This is a 11Km link using Mikrotik equipment I manage.

Those results at a fraction of the cost of your Proxim equipment.

www.pewifi.co.za
Mow

Post by Mow »

That is very good ( I am truly impressed, What is your throughput and antenna gain ? ) . Before I continue, may I say that I work for a company that distro's both or will very soon. Bets are if you ping with a packet size of 1024 youre results will look very different. The Proxim QOS is very robust . It maintains 2-4 ms rersponse carrying 8mb video stream made completely of multicast packets. If you ever find yourself calling a camera company like Axis Pelco or China Video ask them what wireless product they recommend.

Also have a look at the Mining Weekly magazine. There are a few reports over the last few months of what we have been able to do without expensive switching infrastructure. Imagine having 1600 people connected via wireless Voip phones. Consider the QOS involved to carry the mines production data over the same links. And lastly carryng calls over 80 km's to the sister mine.

Also the surveillance of Potch, Rustenburg, Pretora and Letlabile, thats minimum of twenty cameras are handled by proxim based wireless networks .

This is not the point though , based on the response that the microtik shows ( Thanx to mister Gromit 8) ) . I Think that is your best bet for the link you are planning.

PS imsorry for jacking your thread. :oops: