woot! I get to study computer stuff next year!

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Cure

Post by Cure »

My friends went to CTI... well it sucks honestly and it expensive, 60K for a year? Honestly, cape tech's IT degree only cost 10k a year and it's far better then CTI and another guy went to CTI and couldn't do his job correctly, they then sent him to tech.
You could go to CTU but I personally like the cape tech myself (where I'm studying) but thats because I'm a programmer and the tech is mostly practical, which I perfer more then the 'theoritical' programming that Universities offer.
eraser

Post by eraser »

I went to CTI, and i must say, they not as bad as everyone says.

I enjoyed my time there and learnt alot. If someone went there and didnt learn, or learnt very little, then i must say that they didnt study hard enough.

The lifestyle there is that you study at your own pace. If that pace is not going to college and loafing around then it is the persons own fault.

The price is the biggest drawback though, i must admit that.

@ Cure, how do you know that the degree at Cape Tech is better than CTI?
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

junjun wrote:well, you could always "self - Study" and take the Microsoft exams. that way you can work at your own pace and works out far cheaper.
If you did self study as you say, where would you take the M$ exams?

Is it one of those online exams?
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
junjun

Post by junjun »

ADV4NCED wrote:
junjun wrote:well, you could always "self - Study" and take the Microsoft exams. that way you can work at your own pace and works out far cheaper.
If you did self study as you say, where would you take the M$ exams?

Is it one of those online exams?
Hows it works is, you study @ home or wherever and once you are ready to write the exams, you go to any prometric or peuvsons registered training centers and you write the exams, yes they seem to be online exams.

the exams cost about R720 each for most MS exams , A+ & N+ is a bit more since they are comptia. ( depends where you write, i think) and these are international exams, not the ones you get for attending the courses.

thats how i studied, im working and i dnt have time to attend classes, it works out alot quicker as well, depending how you study.

i did 70 - 297 in a week and at damelin it would have taken me 6months, but both end up writing the same exam.

a good way to learn if you are not in a hurry is to load Virtual Server /Pc and play around with server 2003, setup AD and DNS, dhcp,DMZ, Routing. you will learn alot more this way than sitting and listening to a lecturer. Most guys who are walking around with a MCSE dnt remember squat coz they dnt get to do these kind of things in a hurry.

Do a support course first, fimilarize yourself with office applications and other systems that users use on a daily basis. ultimately you dnt want to be stuck in a PC shop for the rest of your days, Corporate companies require IT skills , technicians with good problem solving abilities and other strengths .... and most of the time its not the networks or servers that need these on a daily basis.

The truth is that most IT guys dnt start work as an IT administrator, it takes time to learn and gain experience,you can start at the top if you lucky but . you most likely to fall or get a bad name. my first IT job was in My church and i had to fix a printer ( i knew nothing about printers ) but i had to learn, and so we progress in our Career, i worked for a guy setting up networks for R30 a day, but i did it for the experience not the money and guess what it paid off.
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Thanks for the info Jun,

If you self study an MSCE is it internationally recognised? I see Rob was talking about cambridge etc.

So I guess it does make a difference where you do the course?
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
junjun

Post by junjun »

ADV4NCED wrote:Thanks for the info Jun,

If you self study an MSCE is it internationally recognised? I see Rob was talking about cambridge etc.

So I guess it does make a difference where you do the course?
Yes it does...Only if you do the Microsoft exams then it counts as internationals, go buy the books or download e-books and start studying ,
then register at any "prometric" certified center like damelin ( there are others ) and write your exam, Microsoft will then give you a MCP number that you will use to id yourself as an MCP ( Microsoft certified Professional ) thats only if you pass the exams

If you have your international MCSE it doesn't matter where you studied.

Since you are just starting in IT, give yourself a few years, then do a degree.
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

Eish.... now i really dont know what to do... CTI, CTU, Varsity Collage, Self-Study, Uni....

my gosh....
PCF Dumbass of the Month Award!
"My lungs are in SLI :P"
roguemat

Post by roguemat »

RobThePyro wrote:Eish.... now i really dont know what to do... CTI, CTU, Varsity Collage, Self-Study, Uni....

my gosh....
Im at CTI atm and IMHO i think its cool. Lots of people dont like it, but for me its perfect. I couldnt handle university or lecture based places. And im loving CTI.

And im an instructor there next year :)
100% bursary :D
STEAM FTW