Why Overclock If you can Play all Games

Any hardware related topics go here.
ysaban

Why Overclock If you can Play all Games

Post by ysaban »

Just a question.

Why overclock if you get a good score and all the games you play runs smooth.

What will the OC do really. Be honest with yourself.

Make you get that extra 30 frames from 260 frames.

After about 60 Frames you dont C any difference. Do you ever C someone overclock there Playstation 2 to get extra frames...MMM

You will only be using the full potential of your PC when you going 1600 x 1200.

NB: When buying your pc always keep in mind what your needs are not how much score you will get, or if you be able to beat that score.

If the PC can play it and you enjoying it you made the right choice.

Please remember. Do your research when purchasing your hardware. If you can get a hands-on demo.

No offence to the OC guys. I am just trying to make a point.

Cheers
THE GENERAL
goku

Post by goku »

I guess it is just human nature :lol: We are never satisfied with what we have and want more out of everything.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

It's a hobby for some, the same way a person could tune their car to get better performance. And if you know what you're doing, a successful overclock may mean not having to go out and buy a faster CPU, graphics card, etc.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

Well, why buy a Porsche if the speed-limit is 120km/h anyway? Same reason - "Because I can, I can afford it and I want to".

OC is challenging but fun - and you really get to know your hardware a lot better (hell, you have to, otherwise you'll blow stuff up - but that's part of the fun *g*)
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
the_nominator

Post by the_nominator »

Is there any guide or tips on how to clock ur PC without blowing it up I wanna clock mine but I new and I dont wanna blow stuff up
goku

Post by goku »

It's all by trail and error Nominator. Just start overclocking by small increments and watch the temps.Extra cooling goes a long way aswell as decent components
Soap

Post by Soap »

That's exactly what I say, I have my PC for 2 years already and I don't see any difference in the graphics, no lag...
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

Very true - I don't notice any major improvements, but it's still fun to fiddle and tweak. Apart from fun, there's one definite use for OC'ing, and that's if your system has borderline specs for a specific game, the OC'ing might be enough to push it over the edge into playability.
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
the_nominator

Post by the_nominator »

To overclock do you use programs or just cool ur pc
if u use programs what do u use
goku

Post by goku »

the_nominator wrote:To overclock do you use programs or just cool ur pc
if u use programs what do u use
It depends on what you wanna overclock.Cpu I do in the bios as I found to do it with a program in windows,my system is very unstable and for a graphics card you can get quite a few good programmes to up the core and memory clocks.

Each mobo has also got their own software to overclock.I know Gigabyte uses easytune and soltek uses red storm.

The only reasons to keep your pc cool is to prevent component failure
Nitroflea

Post by Nitroflea »

You're not gonna see the difference in a game, unless you pull off a hectic oc. You've gotta run something like 3dmark to see how the oc affected stuff. And when ur striving to hit a certain 3dmark trust me you won't stop till you get there!! hehe 8)
Oveclocking is a disease, and what a glorious disease it is! :lol: :lol:
"If a programmer can't quote entire Monty Python movies from memory, he or she has no business being a programmer."
-ASSASSIN-
Moderator Emeritus

Post by -ASSASSIN- »

Soap wrote:That's exactly what I say, I have my PC for 2 years already and I don't see any difference in the graphics, no lag...
Damn you must have payed out of your a$$ for that 2200+ 2 years ago :lol:
AMD 2800+ 1280mb DDR 400 200GB SATA 128mb Leadtek 6800 Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speakers
// 3D2k3= 11238
Soap

Post by Soap »

AND I HAVE!!!!!! I bought it the day it arrived @ CyberDyne and thought I'd be the king of the castle only to realise that the 2400+ came 3 months later to my disappointment :?
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

I still dont see the need for overclocking...

kinda a expensive hobby if u blow ur fx6800, p4 EE 3.4ghz ... {or AMD / Ati ... whatever } ... U peeps gotta be rolling in the dough...

I dont overclock {too n00b , too poor ... too scared... } , and I dont see the hype...

Maybe overclocking becomes neccesary on old pcs to put off that inevitable upgrade, but on a R30 000 system??? Dang it... I cant see the sense...

Rather send me the system and buy one for yourself... Seems like you peeps have the money to do that...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
the_nominator

Post by the_nominator »

Where dou go on SiSoftware to see how many fps your system can display
naughty

Post by naughty »

overclocking can be really safe if done correctly and if you research a bit before you do it and that research is part of your learning curve

i overclocked initially so that i could get high 3dmark scores since i joined the madonion (now futuremark) benchmarking team and was going to use that as publicity for my pc business that ive opened up and in the geforce 3 days i had a 1600+ and geforce 3 modded slightly to give me 1000 points which around that three to four years ago was probably amongst the only two 10k score in this country and my only real compettiion then was enigma who was also a member of madonion then. Our online friendship/friendly rivalry then extended to planetmars when we both registered there and led to the top 10's forming there (though it was primarrily enigma's idea but we all had great fun in the competition it aroused and fun is the keyword there

then later still when i had my Ti4600 i was amongst the first 5 in the country to above 16000 so i can safely say that by now im sure that ive learned of safe ways of doing it and i havent ever blown any equipment in overclocking and benchmarking

it can become expensive but then what do you spend your money on since you cant take it away with you when you die so you may as well enjoy it while you can whcich is why ive probably blown around R70000 to R80000 over the last 5 years on buying and upgrading pc equipment and maybe ill later update this post with some piccies of my stuff

considering how much ive already spent to fry a graphics card or one cpu doesnt phase me in the very least but well if you are a struggling student then yeah you would have problems to keep up with the latest and greatest technology has to offer

EDIT : "k" as promised here is when im benching and overclocking to the max and the rig is all opened up and looking very ghetto but the wiring is being cleaned up so you wont see one single wire and the final water mixture is going to be red instead of green

and heres closeup of my waterblock in action but ive since gotten a new one which im going to put in sometime soon - its one of those waterchill three barb blocks together with a gpu/chipset block so every component that heats up will be cooled - got some tweakmonster heatsinks on order for the graphics card and mobo mosfets (courtesy of MrBean)

but when i close it all up it actually looks pretty okay and heres a pic of it at night with the cathodes all lit up and panels all in place and if you look closely through the window you will see my old leadtek Ti4600 which gave me 16k (sorry if you have seen this before)

and heres a pic of most of the rest of it in action

though i now have a ratpadz for the mouse and a senheisser set of headphones for music and gaming and another boom style genius headset for voice recognition with the logitech z680's spread around the room. the only drawback is that i would have preffered a 21" CRT instead of my 17" lcd monitor for gaming

most of these are really old pics and im gonna get some new ones taken when i submit the rig for the mod of the month section soon
goku

Post by goku »

Now thats AWSOME naughty :lol: :lol: :lol:
the_nominator

Post by the_nominator »

Well if I had R80 000 I could aslo have an AWSOME pc.
goku

Post by goku »

Yeah you right nominator but he is using it to promote his business and I guess it brought some business in too.
the_nominator

Post by the_nominator »

Just and off-topic question
Can you upload ur own pics the ones that go under the name thingy?
naughty

Post by naughty »

the_nominator wrote:Well if I had R80 000 I could aslo have an AWSOME pc.
well yeah anybody with a decent amount of cash can buy awesome stuff - hopefully though you will need somebody like me to put it all together for you :twisted:

the amount ive spent takes into account that ive had four pc's over the last 5 years - each one costing over 15 grand at early adopter prices (LOL i got R512 megs of rdram in the p3 days which was a pretty packet back then ) when i bought each pc and not being able to recover even 1/3rd of that when i got rid of it cos i wanted to give the guys that buy that stuff a good deal

though ive been making a fair bit of cash from selling new stuff too though my business isnt in full force yet but im sure over the years i will make all that money back eventually LOL
Now thats AWSOME naughty
thank you much appreciated, though the credit should go to taiwan for making such good pc parts BTW that rig overclocked with the following specs :

amd athlon xp2100+ (overclocked to 2.4ghz)
Abit nf7s v2.0 mobo
Ati radeon 9800pro (organised for me by lordrage)
512mb ddr466
2 x 40 gig seagate barracuda 7200rpm ide hdds
all the watercooling gizmos

can score close to 21000 points in 3dmark 2k1se and im sure with my new rig at the end of the year im gonna be close to 30000 points which makes my new planned rig a certainty to play doom3 and halflife2 when they finally appear at around 1600 x 1200 with 4x AA and around 8X Af - just need to get a nice 21" monitor for that new rig though

thats a nice enough reason to want to overclock i would say to the origional poster of this thread
goku

Post by goku »

Nominator if mean my rig I'll post some tommorrow but it's not 1/2 (hell a 1/10th) as good at some of the members rigs.but hey you got to start somewhere right :?:

Now can someone direct me to a good site to hoste my pics as villagephotos sucks. :(
the_nominator

Post by the_nominator »

No, I mean that picture under ur nick like uv got goku an iv got that smilie
can u upload ur own.
And what did u just say in that post I'm new to this stuff.
goku

Post by goku »

Sorry very little sleep is getting to me. :oops:

Yes click on your profile and upload a avatar where it says "Upload Avatar from your machine:"It must be in spec.
the_nominator

Post by the_nominator »

Goku are u gonna try reach 100 posts tonight