4rth Car radio broken (I blame taxi drivers!!!)

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
SBSP

4rth Car radio broken (I blame taxi drivers!!!)

Post by SBSP »

Hello.

This past weekend i bought my 4rth car radio.

I first had a factory fitted car mp3/CD frontloader that comes standard
with a velocity, The make was something starting with a G, Grunder or what ever.

I normally drive the old joburg road to work and as the ones know driving that road, taxies like to drive on the left side on the 'dirt formed road'
And they kick up lots of dust , sometimes i can even taste the sand in my mouth

and Golf MK1's is bult like a gocart, 'Nothing fancy'
when ever you put on the fan it would blow leafs and stuff into your face'

It also sucks in allot of dust even if the fan is not on, and all that go sits
in the CD player messing with the CD players eject mechanics.

After the factory fitted radio i bought a kenwood and after about 4 months the CD player was faulty again, so i bought a sony and that CD player broke as well. so i bought another kenwood.

but this is starting to annoy me,

Is there any way i can protect the radio by maybe putting glad wrap around it ? I'm not sure if this is such a good idea, I'm sure the heat will kill it.
but atleast the heat sink is on the out side..
Spicy-McHaggis

Re: 4rth Car radio broken (I blame taxi drivers!!!)

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

SBSP wrote:Hello.

This past weekend i bought my 4rth car radio.

I first had a factory fitted car mp3/CD frontloader that comes standard
with a velocity
, The make was something starting with a G, Grunder or what ever.

I normally drive the old joburg road to work and as the ones know driving that road, taxies like to drive on the left side on the 'dirt formed road'
And they kick up lots of dust , sometimes i can even taste the sand in my mouth

and Golf MK1's is bult like a gocart, 'Nothing fancy'
when ever you put on the fan it would blow leafs and stuff into your face'

It also sucks in allot of dust even if the fan is not on, and all that go sits
in the CD player messing with the CD players eject mechanics.

After the factory fitted radio i bought a kenwood and after about 4 months the CD player was faulty again, so i bought a sony and that CD player broke as well. so i bought another kenwood.

but this is starting to annoy me,

Is there any way i can protect the radio by maybe putting glad wrap around it ? I'm not sure if this is such a good idea, I'm sure the heat will kill it.
but atleast the heat sink is on the out side..
u driving golf MK1 with Velocity radio?
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
Citi-surfer

Post by Citi-surfer »

If you have a Velociti do you have the new dash( flat ) or the old round dash like the citi's. The old citi golfs used to have a cover inside in the radio compartment made out of cardboard which used to keep the dust out so if you find and old citi you can either copy the design or buy that piece from a breakers yard.

@ Spicy : The Velociti is a MK1
naughty

Post by naughty »

nope - technically a velociti is a citigolf and not purely a mk1

and a mk1 is the old school golfs with the indentation on the C-pillars - there is a small difference - and yet to the purists a citi is not a mk1 - its merely another class of car called the citigolf

when you talk about a mk1 then you are talking about those old golf gt's and gti's etc - the old school mk 1 also had the small bumpers and not the huge bumper with spoiler like the citi has

they are still considered different by enthusiasts - and the original mk1 had a hugely chuckable chassis that could handle the twisties - not so with the citi - it just isnt as entertaining to drive as the original mk1's (ive owned citis for the last 14 years of my life and thats what ive found)
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

You get hinged covers for decks that are made for speedboats. Not sure what they are called, but you could enquire at any boat shop and they'd be able to sell you the cover. :)
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

naughty wrote:
nope - technically a velociti is a citigolf and not purely a mk1

and a mk1 is the old school golfs with the indentation on the C-pillars - there is a small difference - and yet to the purists a citi is not a mk1 - its merely another class of car called the citigolf

when you talk about a mk1 then you are talking about those old golf gt's and gti's etc - the old school mk 1 also had the small bumpers and not the huge bumper with spoiler like the citi has

they are still considered different by enthusiasts - and the original mk1 had a hugely chuckable chassis that could handle the twisties - not so with the citi - it just isnt as entertaining to drive as the original mk1's (ive owned citis for the last 14 years of my life and thats what ive found)
Yes thank You!

citi-surfer look here :
MK1

Velocity Shape
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
amd64

Post by amd64 »

or you could take a different route to work :)
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

amd64 wrote:or you could take a different route to work :)
:lol:
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
XIII

Post by XIII »

Not sure about ur interior. But most vehicles have an option on the dash for the fan and A/C. It should be a lever or button you push from one side to the other. One way is for airflow coming from the front and the other is for using the air that's already in there. When a vehicle in front is lifting dust or fumes into the air switch it to the circular airflow and then you won't notice it as it stops in the engine compartment. Unless you smoke alot you should be fine.
Vae, puto deus fio!
Citi-surfer

Post by Citi-surfer »

@Naughty: Technically you are right ( for South Africa ) otherwise globally it is considered a MK1 seeing as we are the only country that still makes them. I also owned and own quite a few golfs (hence the name) I do have an original Gti still with the 1600 motor and have owned a few 1100 2 door models with 2.0l 16v motors. And the reason why it is considered a Mk1 shape is as we all know that all the other golfs had to fall into a Mkx group.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Well, I said MK1 for the ones who dont know what a velocity is.

I woulive thought the new dash would have a better design than the old one?

Isnt that why they replaced it ? Supposted to stop rattling and so on ?

I'm going to seal the radio!

Edit: Velocitie's is crap cars btw :x

Edit
Who designed the Dash Germans or South Africans ?

If it was South Africans that would explain it.
naughty

Post by naughty »

Who designed the Dash Germans or South Africans ?

If it was South Africans that would explain it.
actually i think it was "ze Germans" - its actually an adaptation of the polo dash in the velociti - but the fitting would be slightly different since the polo has aircon and theres loads of ducting around in the way - so things are more tightly packed in the polo as opposed to lots of empty space in the velociti where the air con ducting is removed - which means more space for the dust to fill and float around in
Supposted to stop rattling and so on ?
that may have been the idea - but every VW rattles from brand new - even the R32 does so - and my brand new polo gti is rattling in places that were not even opened up during the sound install - those were put back together better than the factory spec - but my dash still rattles and creaks
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor