Project table htc

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
BioFreak

Project table htc

Post by BioFreak »

Ok, so I have been toying with the idea of doing a mod with one of my pc's for the last few months.
I really don't like having a big flashing case with uv's and fans and such. The mod needs to be classy and look like an art piece.

What I want to do is this:

I want to take a wooden coffee table of sorts (Still looking for the perfect one) and mount a mini PC inside the table with a glass top replacing most of the wood on top.

I have one of these at the moment:

It has an oldish 478 P4 2.8Ghz, 2x 512Mb ddr400 and agp slot.

The idea will be to throw away the case and mount everything inside the table cutout.

STEP 1
I need to source myself a decent looking coffee table that I can use.

STEP 2
Mutilate the poor table to fit my specs.

STEP 3
Fit the components inside the new open and lowered table's innards.

STEP4
Fit a glass panel over the opening

SECRET STEPS:
- This is what's going to make the mod exceptional. I will not be using power cables to power the drive/dvd/motherboard/etc. I will be using copper rods to connect the psu to everything.

- There will not be a kb/mouse on the pc. I am still thinking how to do it, but I will mount my own custom made keyboard into the glass top. I will cutout keys in the glass and manufacture a working kb into the glass top. The mouse will be replaced by either a laptop touchpad or if I can figure out how to do it, a custom touchpad on the glass top!

The PC will have a tv card, 5.1 creative sound, wireless lan and a decent agp gfx card. This will all connect to the tv (Eventually a 32" or bigger LCD tv)

I don't intend for this mod to finish in the next four months as I want to do it decently. That and I have not moved into our new home yet. That would be scheduled closer to the end of the year.

Any thoughts? ;)
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

bit silly if u ask me, how the hell are you gonna take a table to lans? rather just make a wooden pc case
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

inf3ct10n wrote:bit silly if u ask me, how the hell are you gonna take a table to lans? rather just make a wooden pc case
Why the hell would you think it's a LAN case if he's building it into a frikken TABLE?!?!?!
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Skidd
Permanently Banned

Post by Skidd »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dae, its called a one track mind :P
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

regardless... why into a coffee table? most coffee tables are very low, so if you are gonna put your pc screen ontop of it, you gonna need to sit on a low couch, or on the floor... and if you dont even plan to use the coffee table to put your screen on, then your wires and everything are gonna make a big mess... dont really like this idea, but hey, its not my mod
psYChowIt

Post by psYChowIt »

Infection you're an idiot do u even know what the hell a htpc is!!!!!!!!
psYChowIt

Post by psYChowIt »

Infection you're an idiot do u even know what the hell a htpc is!!!!!!!!
Skidd
Permanently Banned

Post by Skidd »

inf3ct10n wrote:regardless... why into a coffee table? most coffee tables are very low, so if you are gonna put your pc screen ontop of it, you gonna need to sit on a low couch, or on the floor... and if you dont even plan to use the coffee table to put your screen on, then your wires and everything are gonna make a big mess... dont really like this idea, but hey, its not my mod
Sigh

Dude seriously nothing is impossible and certianly this mod is a very valid and unique idea. If you cant grasp the concept then dont comment and just enjoy the progress pics...
FUSED

Post by FUSED »

WOW Bio! Freakin interesting idea.
Sounds like alot of work, but when it's finished it'll definitely be unique.
I'm especially anxious to see how the keyboard and mouse is gonna work out.

Good luck 8)

*edit This would actually work very well especially as a Media Center pc. Actually a very cool idea!
FUSED

Post by FUSED »

Just an idea:

You could actually build in a Wireless AV sender to send the audio and video signals from the pc to your tv and sound system. then you wont have to run wires for that. Then you just have to figure out what to do with the power.

Here's one.
BioFreak

Post by BioFreak »

lol@ inf3ct10n

This will run all my multimedia on. I have a gaming machine and I won't touch this. It'll run wireless lan to a file server with all my movies.

I am still toying with the idea of sending the power cable down one of the tables legs. Power would always be a pain unfortunately.

@ FUSED, yeah I would use a wireless av connection of sorts to send the video signal. I actually have that exact model at the moment for my room TV. :)

The idea for the mod is to have nothing in any sort of case though. So I will strip out any casing of the psu, dvd-rw and any other apps/gadgets I'll use. I'll mount the hdd upside down to expose the circuit board.

I am quite excited about this project but I have not even started to get components yet... My 8800GTX is priority this month... :p
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Hows that wireless AV working for you?

Any interference with cellphones etc?

Price?
BioFreak

Post by BioFreak »

yeah... It's not the best thing around a 21" CRT monitor... If the screen is not on it works fine. I'd say don't use it if you are further than 15-20m from the other receiver.

I dunno about costs... I've had it for a few months. Can't remember... :p
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

I want to run it from my PC to the TV. About 10 meters of open air.
GrimStoner

Post by GrimStoner »

Use a wireless kb&mouse. If the kb is built into the table, you'll have to sit close to it to type. Which is not exactly prime-cut media pc. You want to chillax on the couch while watching A-Team reruns. Damn I'm lazy.
BioFreak

Post by BioFreak »

Open air is fine.

As for wireless, I can do that but I will get a MCE Logitech remote for the couch lounging! ;)