PMs crashing Firefox?

Questions about the forums? Got a suggestion on how things can be improved? Post here!
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

PMs crashing Firefox?

Post by Stuart »

So has anyone else had Firefox crash when replying to PMs? On a few occasions, both in XP and in Vista, my Firefox suddenly shuts down, before asking me to fill out a form and send it off to Mozilla. I didn't think too much about it at first, but I have noticed now that it only happens when opening a reply to a PM on this site. Anyone else? Solutions?

Edit: It doesn't happen every time I reply to a PM; it's rather erratic. But it does happen only when I reply to a PM; normal posting is fine.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

I have had one of those, I just re-installed FF, and was sorted
Temporary Absence
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

What version of FireFox are you running? I have the latest and it is very stable.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3 Do an update and your problems should be fixed. I thought that mine would update automatically but it didn't. Had to do it manually.

If you are on 5 already, check for spyware. That always causes my stuff to crash.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I have the latest version, same as yours except I have the GB version instead of the US one. This morning it crashed on a freshly formatted drive; I installed Windows on Wednesday. I'll try a spyware search, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing, since I haven't used the PC much in the last couple of days.

< OT > Anthro, where you going, dude? I keep seeing that in your sig. < /OT >
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

<OT> I am leaving my current job end of the month, moving to another <OT>
Won't be online as much for about a +/- week or so from 2nd April
Temporary Absence
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

Do you maybe not have an extension that is conflicting with the coding on the page that dislays the PM reply? If you do, try disabling all extensions and see what happens.
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

No idea then - sorry.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

THe only extension I have on the machine that crashed today is Talkback and British English Dictionary. I'll try disabling them and see. Problem is, the crashes are so erratic that it's difficult to gauge, but we'll see ...
Anthropoid wrote:<OT> I am leaving my current job end of the month, moving to another <OT>
Won't be online as much for about a +/- week or so from 2nd April
Well dude, move quick and join us once again.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So this has been happening erratically ever since I posted this. Tonight, however, Vista alerted me that it found a solution to the problem. Apparently it was caused by the Flash Player plugin. Downloaded the latest one from Adobe's website. Hope this solves it; if it doesn't I'll post here again.

Edit: Re: my first post here, Firefox actually crashed in this fashion on another website for the first time last night! But it seems like pure coincidence that it kept happening whilst on PCF.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I hope that is a solution as I have been using FireFox for ages and no such problems - but then I am still on XP. Good luck and let us know please.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Tribble wrote:I hope that is a solution as I have been using FireFox for ages and no such problems - but then I am still on XP. Good luck and let us know please.
I was actually having the same problem in XP, so it wasn't an OS thing. Have XP on my notebook still.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Ok then I cannot pass the blame onto Vista :( :lol: :lol:
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

I have been using the Fox for ages, have never had a similar problem, in facy have never had a Fox bomb out!
CesarePlay

Re: PMs crashing Firefox?

Post by CesarePlay »

schase wrote:So has anyone else had Firefox crash when replying to PMs? On a few occasions, both in XP and in Vista, my Firefox suddenly shuts down, before asking me to fill out a form and send it off to Mozilla. I didn't think too much about it at first, but I have noticed now that it only happens when opening a reply to a PM on this site. Anyone else? Solutions?

Edit: It doesn't happen every time I reply to a PM; it's rather erratic. But it does happen only when I reply to a PM; normal posting is fine.
No never happened to me and I pm a lot and I use firefox on windows vista and xp.