Recording phone conversations

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
yUDi

Recording phone conversations

Post by yUDi »

Does anyone know how I can record phone conversations with my PC so I can replay the conversation in, say, MP3 format? It will be awsome if I can record prank calls like this. :twisted:
pSychoSis

Post by pSychoSis »

I've got a plan, but i dont know if it will work very well.. but here goes anyway

1. Open your telefone headset, where u will find 4 wires
2. Connect the two that goes to the speaker to some wire that has a headphone jack on (Cut off old earphones' plug) P.S. Wires must be connected in a set, ie. each one from the phone must connect to another from the other earphone cable, and they MUST be insulated.
3. Plug the jack into the line-in hole on jour soundcard, and use Windows sound recorder (or any other app) to record from line in.

IF it doesnt work at first, try swapping the wires around, and if it works, connect the microphone aswell.

I really doubt that it would work, but its worth a try... :wink:

Perhaps i sould connect external speakers/microphone to my phone in that way... :lol:

Good luck anyway...
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

If you have a normal modem that has a line and phone port then you can download some trial software that lets you record a phone call in wave format.

I used to use a program like this years ago but your modem must support voice properly otherwise the program won't work.

I can't remember any program names right now but I'm sure you'll be able to find one.
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

Just be careful. Recording phone conversations without the other person's consent is illegal, as far as I know, and even if it isn't, can still get you into a lot of trouble.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

Ya I forgot to mention that.

Before you can record a conversation you need to tell the person you are calling that the call is being recorded otherwise it is illegal.
yUDi

Post by yUDi »

I tried using Modem Spy but it didn't work beacause I don't have a voice modem. And since it is illegal I'll just forget about it for now. Thanks.
Soap

Post by Soap »

pSychoSis wrote:I've got a plan, but i dont know if it will work very well.. but here goes anyway

2. Connect the two that goes to the speaker to some wire that has a headphone jack on (Cut off old earphones' plug) P.S. Wires must be connected in a set, ie. each one from the phone must connect to another from the other earphone cable, and they MUST be insulated.
3. Plug the jack into the line-in hole on jour soundcard, and use Windows sound recorder (or any other app) to record from line in.

IF it doesnt work at first, try swapping the wires around, and if it works, connect the microphone aswell.

Perhaps i sould connect external speakers/microphone to my phone in that way... :lol:

Good luck anyway...
ROFL, that'll only blow the speakers as the telephone lines are running on 60V :lol: :lol:
MotoGuzzi

Let him do it.

Post by MotoGuzzi »

He said he want to record Prank calls....I think it is just as legal as the call the Prank-Caller makes, so record him by all means, just don't amplify it with large speakers from your garden, it maybe you neigbours t w a t.
garp

Post by garp »

Soap wrote:
pSychoSis wrote:I've got a plan, but i dont know if it will work very well.. but here goes anyway

Good luck anyway...
ROFL, that'll only blow the speakers as the telephone lines are running on 60V :lol: :lol:
I'v done that before worked well
Ridgeback

Record telephone conversations

Post by Ridgeback »

Go to Game. buy Red Box call redcan. comes with all the bells and whistles. costs R50. 2oohrs of talking on the phone on 2gig HDD space.
No jokes, it works like GILL, beautifully.
Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks! Life is what happens when your'e looking the other way....