DSP vs Retail

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Mclaren

DSP vs Retail

Post by Mclaren »

With reference to the thread : vista ultimate x86 vs x64 :

I contacted MS and they have confirmed, once the DSP version is activated it is tied to the HDD, MOBO and CPU. any change in these will result in a requirent to reactivate. If things go bad with any of these components, in all likely hood one will have to purchase a new licence for vista.

The retail version is tied to the individual and may be uninstalled and swopped to another machine at the owners leisure.
Nomadic2Duo

Post by Nomadic2Duo »

Well yes and no!

If you replace just the cpu or just the MB or just the hdd you wont have to. If you replace them all then you will have to reactivate. WinXP DSP was exactly the same.
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

To my knowledge you can replace 5 components before the DSP version is no longer valid. Can someone confirm this?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Bobendren wrote:To my knowledge you can replace 5 components before the DSP version is no longer valid. Can someone confirm this?
That's correct :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Bobendren wrote:To my knowledge you can replace 5 components before the DSP version is no longer valid. Can someone confirm this?
Indeed.

I purchased the DSP version for my laptop. Made sense. Since on a laptop you can realistically only upgrade certain components anyway...
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

I am not disputing what you guys are saying, thats just what MS told me.

Still unsure of what to buy. R2000 is a lot extra to pay for retail
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Well that's not what Microsoft thinks. I speak from experience. I have a DSP version of Vista, which I installed on a particular computer. Later, I managed to fry my mobo, and got it swapped out for another one. Everything else in the system was exactly the same: I only swapped out the mobo. When I restarted, I had to activate Windows again, and it wouldn't do it online. So I went through the automated telephonic system and was told that if I changed my motherboard for any reason other than replacement of a damaged part, it was not covered under the DSP license. I even went through to speak to the operator and she told me that the DSP license does not allow for you to change your motherboard, unless you are changing it because it is damaged.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

It is. I paid frikken R3700 for my copy of Vista Ultimate retail, but i NEVER have to worry about "what happens if i get another machine" or "what happens if i do more than 5 upgrades" or anything like that. I can move Vista from PC to PC as i chose.

Like right now, i'm running Vista on one of my SFF PCs, but when Epiphany is done, i'll be running Vista there...
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

I got told exactly what schase has said. Looks like i am gona end up with retail.

I just gotta find it cheaper.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

schase wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Well that's not what Microsoft thinks. I speak from experience. I have a DSP version of Vista, which I installed on a particular computer. Later, I managed to fry my mobo, and got it swapped out for another one. Everything else in the system was exactly the same: I only swapped out the mobo. When I restarted, I had to activate Windows again, and it wouldn't do it online. So I went through the automated telephonic system and was told that if I changed my motherboard for any reason other than replacement of a damaged part, it was not covered under the DSP license. I even went through to speak to the operator and she told me that the DSP license does not allow for you to change your motherboard, unless you are changing it because it is damaged.
If that's the case, then buying a DSP copy would be absolute suicide...
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

Yeah, unbelievable.

By the time one has shelled out for Retail and office 2007, i need ms access one has spent 8 to 10 grand. thats a lot of money just for software.

MS needs to rethink thier cost if they want this to start selling in this country.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
schase wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
If that's the case, then buying a DSP copy would be absolute suicide...
Not for me. It makes perfect sense if you have a laptop. And in 3-4 years when my laptop will need replacing there will be a new Windows out anyway so I'll need to upgrade...

You can buy 2 copies of DSP for the same price as 1 copy of retail. Hmmm, not worth the price of retail to me...
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

for a note book thats fine. I have been trying vista ultimate on a compaq evo n1050 with 512mb ram. very slow going back to the restore cd with XP.

but for my PC looks like retail is what i need, as i wanna upgrade the board and cpu soon too.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah i'm with you Ryan, for a notebook a DSP copy is perfect, but for advanced home users like that chop and change hardware on a continuous basis and so on, DSP is worthless.