Norton Internet security 2007

Any software related topics go in here.
Mclaren

Norton Internet security 2007

Post by Mclaren »

Hi

I had norton internet security installed. i formatted and reinstalled all my software. when i installed norton again i had to run all the updates again.

is there anyway to back up previous updates before formating (Rayne this is not a yes no question), and if so how do i do this. the user manual is not very helpful in this regard.

regards

Kev
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: Norton Internet security 2007

Post by Stuart »

Mclaren wrote:I had norton internet security installed.
It sounded good until this point ...
Mclaren wrote:when i installed norton again
... but then this part came. :(
Mclaren wrote:is there anyway to back up previous updates before formating (Rayne this is not a yes no question), and if so how do i do this. the user manual is not very helpful in this regard.
I stand to be corrected here, but I do not think that automatic (online) updates are designed to be backed up. If you want to keep backups of update files, you'll need to download them manually, which is a major schlep, hence the automatic update feature.

But to be quite honest, I am speaking in light of other antivirus software, cos I just don't use Norton. Norton is to antivirus what Thermaltake is to cooling/modding solutions. How's that, you may ask? Just ask DAE or WiK1d about TT.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

i may be barking, (and last used the horror of norton 5+ years ago), but i believe they should be under \Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Definitions or some such...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

Why everyone hate norton ?

Shase ???? **** loads of laughs.

And i like thermaltakes cases, just too expensive.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Mclaren wrote:Why everyone hate norton ?
resource hungry, ineffectual and given to overstating threat levels in order to boost sales... not to mention being horrendously overpriced for what you get...

symantec has evolved into more of a marketing company than an AV one.... have a gander at this pdf for the 2006 roundup , (link courtesy of ryanrich)
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

I C
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

As rusty says, Norton is resource hungry horrendously overpriced. You can do far better than Norton for the price you are paying. In fact, you can do far better than Norton for free! I'd take AVG over Norton any day of the week! Or you can spend a bit of money on another package ... even McAfee will stand you in better stead, though it too can be resource hungry. I'm not sure it's too easy to say which AV software is the best, except to say that it certainly isn't Norton. ;)