CPU Too Hot

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

To paste or not to paste...that is the question :-)
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

Thrall wrote:To paste or not to paste...that is the question :-)
:)

Indeed. Without paste, I'm pretty sure my chip would've fried by now.

I definately have noticed that with the cheap generic paste, my Athlon CPU's will initially run cool, but over months, they seem to run hotter.

As for Intel P4, got two at work and have never had a moments trouble with them - my next home upgrade will probably be back to Intel again.
Installing a P4 is such a breeze compared with AMD Athlon chips - the first time I installed an Athlon, I almost gouged a hole in my motherboard and the second time, I almost crushed the core (I heard this horrifying crunch sound) - luckily it was just the outside of the chip and it still works :)
CAT

Post by CAT »

Running a AMD 2500+ , and not a days problem. Full load I'll get about 44 -47 degrees MAX. I have 3 fans and 1 PCI extractor fan.

I'll never go to Pentium, way over priced and not enough "oomph" in the processor.

AMD ROCKS YOUR WORLD
9 lives baby - 9 lives !!!!
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

The cooler you system the better so if you can make a plan to get your system running cooler do it. It will prolong the life of your chip and should perform better.
garp

Post by garp »

garp wrote:I think I will give it a try too
I take that back I will have to use a crowbar to my my Fan+heatsink off it just will not come off no matter what I do :roll:
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

garp wrote:
garp wrote:I think I will give it a try too
I take that back I will have to use a crowbar to my my Fan+heatsink off it just will not come off no matter what I do :roll:
Mhmh sounds like a superglue problem...?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
garp

Post by garp »

superglue :!: :?:
Maby the guys at matrixtech coulden't get it to stay on you never know what happend to you PC before you bought it although superglue woulden't work to good to stick you heatsink on :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
brabham

Post by brabham »

Damnit I forgot to go buy my damned thermal paste today! :evil:

Will have to see tomoz if I get to leave my cage again... :oops:
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Garp you must be doing some thing wrong...what the hell doing wrong .... I HAVE NO IDEA..!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
garp

Post by garp »

Garp you must be doing some thing wrong...what the hell doing wrong .... I HAVE NO IDEA..!!

I don't know either and my local computer store is closed until 5 of feb :(

it's worked fine until now so a little longer won't hurt :D :P :D
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

You hope..!! :lol: :lol:
SnowMonkey

Post by SnowMonkey »

Me bought myself an X-Dream from cooler master. And shin eTsu HSC.

My 2600 Barton was never happier.
34 Idle 39 Load. (What Happens when my CPU runs so cold.
Well it ain't a 2600+ no more

My beter then 3200+(2323Mhz) Idles at 41C and max temp it gets to is 51C.

So yourself a favour, slap on some shin etsu and a decent fan. Viola cool PC...

L8r :arrow:
Supplier of Smart-IT Business Management & Accounting solutions

Smart-IT

Point of Sale/ Ledger/ Customers/ Suppliers/ Workshop/ Stock/ Purchases/ Quote/ HR
nutcase

Post by nutcase »

My P4 3.0 also runs around 50 c. According to intel's documents it's fine. My CPU can go up to 75 before it becomes a problem. Check out the technical docs for your CPU on Intel's site!

The thing you should worry about is the ambient case temp, this should not go over 55. The bridges can go up to 90 in some cases without a problem.

By the way, if you want fans that actually do the work, corex (http://www.corex.co.za) caries most of the Thermaltake (http://www.thermaltake.com) products. They have a wide selection of pretty cool stuff.
<B>There is only one thing you HAVE to do in life....DIE!!!!</B>
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

nutcase wrote:My P4 3.0 also runs around 50 c. According to intel's documents it's fine. My CPU can go up to 75 before it becomes a problem. Check out the technical docs for your CPU on Intel's site!

The thing you should worry about is the ambient case temp, this should not go over 55. The bridges can go up to 90 in some cases without a problem.

By the way, if you want fans that actually do the work, corex (http://www.corex.co.za) caries most of the Thermaltake (http://www.thermaltake.com) products. They have a wide selection of pretty cool stuff.
55 is still a fine temp but prolonged high temps are not good....period.
How can I explain this in way that every one understands.

Nothing produces as much heat dissipation per square meter as a modern processor. There is certainly nothing in everyday life to compare it with. In the case of our Intel Pentium 4 cpu 3.2GHZ, whose die surface comprises 112 square millimeters, the heat dissipation is up to 84 watts at maximum load. In plain English: 84 watts on a surface of 1.12 square centimeters - the size of a fingertip! Extrapolated to square meters that make 840,000 watts or 840 kW. As a point of comparison: a good household iron has maximum heat output of 2,000 watts and emits this over a surface of approx. 200 square centimeters. That adds up to 10 watts per square centimeter.Our regular 3GHz P4 CPU radiates more than eight times this thermal output.

Heat dissipation rises exponentially during extreme overclocking In the past we recorded about 135 watts using the Chip-con compressor at 4.1 GHz. Using our nitrogen cooling to break the 5 GHz sound barrier would produce peak heat dissipation of up to 180 watts emitted from a die surface area of 1.12 square centimeters. Applied to our example that means 1,600,000 watts, 1,600 kW or 1.6 MW per square meter. By this point it must be clear how important efficient processor cooling is. But with simple means there is no way around the problem. Compared to our past extreme overclocking tests, requirements on CPU cooling have risen enormously.(Thanks to http://www.tomshardware.com)

To put it this way any temp doesn't matter if it's 2 or 20 dergees your CPU will give of heat.
Try this at home.

Take two bare copper wires connect them to a small battery and globe.

Take a naked flame and hold it over any wire as soon as the wire heats up your globe will either go out completely or become very weak all depends on the thickness of the copper wire.

This is what happens to your cpu the hotter it gets the the solwer your preformance of the cpu will be.
brabham

Post by brabham »

wizardofid wrote:
brabham wrote:nice one wiz. me is now feeling very confident and is thinking of buying some thermal paste on Monday to try it out. If you dont hear from me for a while you'll know why... :roll:
I'm glad to hear your going to give it a try...!! :P

Oh don't forget to post your results....!!
As requested:

I have now managed to get my hands on some thermal paste and have stripped and cleaned my cpu heatsink and fan and have applied the new paste. I wasn't very impressed with the results until just now when I read my post about how my temps were 58-61 at idle. They have dropped to 52 at idle although thats with the side panel open. Perhaps the paste has helped after all.

Thanks for the advice Wiz. :D

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

52...mhmh you can still do better but remember that it's takes about week or two to get a correct temp reading.
brabham

Post by brabham »

A week you say....ok then I'll keep an eye on it. Will post again next week to confirm the temps. 8)

Timl

Ok, I'm beginning to understand this now.

Post by Timl »

Sometimes it's rough being an old fart. (Most of the time, it's great) I have carefully read this and other threads, and now understand that

(1) my computer is running too hot

(2) I should check the thermal paste.

But what else should I do? Please understand that I am a complete newbie at this ...

I have a P4 2.8 GHz, with 2 SATA drives and a GForce IV 5600 in an ATX box on a Gigabyte motherboard. The nVidia control panel applet tells me that the video card is running at an ambient temp of 37 degrees, and a core temp of 67 degrees.

I normally have the PC at home with the cover off. This changes the figures to about 33 degrees, with core at about 55 degrees. While playing games.

So, what should I do next? What fan(s) should I buy? Is it OK to run the machine with the covers off?

TIA
wizardofid

Re: Ok, I'm beginning to understand this now.

Post by wizardofid »

Timl wrote:Sometimes it's rough being an old fart. (Most of the time, it's great) I have carefully read this and other threads, and now understand that

(1) my computer is running too hot

(2) I should check the thermal paste.

But what else should I do? Please understand that I am a complete newbie at this ...

I have a P4 2.8 GHz, with 2 SATA drives and a GForce IV 5600 in an ATX box on a Gigabyte motherboard. The nVidia control panel applet tells me that the video card is running at an ambient temp of 37 degrees, and a core temp of 67 degrees.

I normally have the PC at home with the cover off. This changes the figures to about 33 degrees, with core at about 55 degrees. While playing games.

So, what should I do next? What fan(s) should I buy? Is it OK to run the machine with the covers off?

TIA
Get about two or more fans.

33 is great but a jump to 55 is a bit steep and your system is in no real danger however note if your temps goes up your preformance goes down abit mabye the odd 10 - 15 FPS mabye.
Pm me or post some pics so we can have a look at your system.
Timl

CPU Cooling

Post by Timl »

No - sorry, I didn't explain myself very well.

The video card reports the box temperature as between 33 and 39 degrees, sometimes as low as 28 or 29 degrees. It reports that the video chip runs at between 55 and 71 degrees.

One of my engineers used a program to check the computer information. The program (SiSoft Sandra) reports the CPU running at 26 degrees, and the board temperature at 25 degrees. It remains stable at these temperatures, even when doing burn-in (see - I learned a new word! :-D), so I presume the CPU cooling is OK.

The program reports the power supply as running at 61 degrees (also pretty stable), although the power supply fan is running faster than the CPU fan - about 5100 rpm as opposed to about 2500 rpm.

I'll take a pic of the board over the weekend and post it on Monday.

Basically, it is a P IV 2.8 with 512 L2 Cache 800 MHz FSB, 2x512 MB DDR400 mem, on a Gigabyte i875P+ICH5R mobo, with all the usual bells and whistles. The video card is a Leadtek FX 5600 (NV34) AGP8X 256 MB card with TV, DVI and vivo stuff.

It runs well, and the only thing I am a little disappointed with is the video card. If I had known then what I know now, I would have waited for the 5600 Ultra, and the video card is the first thing I plan on replacing - probably about October this year.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Two extracting fans in the bottom part of you case should do the trick close to your Graphics card will effectively remove and trapped air.
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

Hi Timl,
a 2.8P4 will probably be closer to 52deg C under load, Gigabyte mobo's have a habit of not being accurate displaying temps.....even SiSoft SANDRA reads it from your Bios, and if it is inaccurate there, it is going to be inaccurate in Sandra.

Which model mobo do you have....exactly?

Then I can give you some advice.

Br,
MrBean.