ADSL Modem

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
jPm

ADSL Modem

Post by jPm »

Hey

I just self Installed my ADSL about 1 hour back, works great:)

I wanted to know is it better to connect the modem with a USB cable or Network Cable?

Im using it with the USB cable as I have 2 PCs networked.

What is the best possible way to connect the modem to the PC and be networked simultaneously
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

If it is the Telkcom Mega 100WR - use the USB, and put CD in to set up
jPm

Post by jPm »

Yep thats the Modem, Using the USB :)

How reliable is this modem, the WIFI function aswell, coz i remember people having trouble with other telkom wifi modems
haja

Post by haja »

hey JPM,

Well, there are a few ways to network yourself.

I have my ADSL modem conected to my main pc, and have a network card in it going to my second pc. One run of "small network setup" and you will have ADSL on both pc's, all nicely networked.

You can also get a router with more than one network point. That way you can use the router as a network hub :)

I would suggest using the network cable rather than the USB. Not 100% sure of the reasons, just remeber reading it was better once.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Anthro »

How reliable is this modem, the WIFI function aswell, coz i remember people having trouble with other telkom wifi modems
I haven't had one fail on me...
Personally I have installed about 5 of them, reasonably good with their signal strength (compared to previous ones)
TheAlteredState

Post by TheAlteredState »

I'd also recommend network
Significantly different from a normal waking beta wave state!
jPm

Post by jPm »

Hmmm.

Well will run this USB for a week and see how it goes.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

The USB might effect you latency a bit, so if you are planning on gaming online rather use a network cable
Port Elizabeth Wireless User Group
www.pewifi.co.za
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

USB works alright. Yesterday i just shared a ladies 4mb ADSL line to another computer Very simple. And also very simple to Troubleshoot. But I would recommend a Billion Router.
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

I'm using network, all good.
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."
haja

Post by haja »

ye, Gromit is right. I think it did come down to latency, and being an online FPS player myself, that would be the reason i opted for the network cable route :)

And I hear d-Link are the shizzle as far as routers go. Just don't go and spend thousands on those gaming ones that allow you to setup traffic. You can get freeware that allows you to set priorities and what not.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

What do you guys mean "I use network" and "I reccomend network" ???
Whether you use wifi / or a cable - it is a network. :?

s
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

He was asking between connecting directly to a pc using USB or using the network interface... Beit wireless or UTP...

So network would be UTP as opposed to option 2 : USB
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
jPm

Post by jPm »

Lol!

I was playing A few games online lastnite, there were a few laGz but for 0.5s every 4min, which is fine., but when there were alota people in one room, became slightly worse.

If I can find an old network card, then I will connect my adsl using it, and just network my PCs normally.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

To be quite honest with you, I'd go for an Ethernet ADSL modem over a USB one any day.

I've got a few reasons for this:
  1. With an Ethernet modem, you can plug it straight into a switch or a router and have Internet connectivity instantly shared between multiple PCs. With a USB modem, it only works with one PC, as it has to plug into a USB port. Granted, you can use multiple network cards in said PC and get it to behave like a router, but is it really worth the hassle?
  2. USB modems - install drivers. Yuk. You (usually) don't have to do this with an Ethernet modem, just plug it straight in and log on to the web interface to configure it. You may think that having to install drivers isn't so much of a problem, but let me ask you this: what will you do if you run an operating system for which there are no drivers (like FreeBSD)?
  3. Someone earlier in this thread did mention a latency issue, but I've never been able to confirm this.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Syndicate

Post by Syndicate »

I've got the Telkom Mega 100WR, modem running into my Dlink wireless router via an ethernet cable, then I've got my Iburst modem also running into my Dlink router, then I run my other 2-3 PC's running off the Dlink, using the ADSL IP, and then my laptop can run off either the Ibust-Dlink wireless, or ADSL-Iburst-Dlink wireless 8O
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Anthro »

Scary stuff Carl... but thumbs up for config !!
Soap

Post by Soap »

I wouldn't honestly dare touch those Telkom modems again. In fact, they're rebranded Microcom AD2730's, which are nothing less than horrid. Sure, for the normal stuff they're cool, but the packet filter is near useless. It drops states, causing some connections to get lost. The interface is somewhat buggy, especially in the port forwarding section, which requires precise click-order else it creates duplicate entries. I would personally not recommend that thing to anyone, rather an AVM or Linksys (WRT54GL with DD-Wrt + any Ethernet DSL Modem like a D-Link 300T or a DSL-Router combo like the Linksys WAG200G), the rest is just a mess of improperly engineered GPL-violated devices that only work mediocrely.