Auto-login as root?

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
shiv

Auto-login as root?

Post by shiv »

How do I automatically log in as root in SUSE Linux 10.1??

root is not listed under the available users for which I can enable auto log-in.

I have to manually enter the user name root, and my password to log in as root.

Thanks.
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

There is a reason for that.

It's not safe for newbies to login as root because there is a very good chance they'll break something, and allowing root to auto login would be a security flaw and is thus not allowed.
shiv

Post by shiv »

Thanks, viceroy.

The reason I wanted this feature, is that I want complete access to all folders.

I also hate being prompted for root password!!

I don't wanna use a root console session to do what I want - I want a GUI with full access!!

PS: It's highly unlikely I'll break anything ;-)

Thanks!!
SBSP

Re: Reply

Post by SBSP »

shiv wrote:Thanks, viceroy.

The reason I wanted this feature, is that I want complete access to all folders.

I also hate being prompted for root password!!

I don't wanna use a root console session to do what I want - I want a GUI with full access!!

PS: It's highly unlikely I'll break anything ;-)

Thanks!!
Dont be so sure one day at work i was prompted by a linux bash that i dont have permissions on speciffic folders and i am root so i thought WTF i got tired of chmod 777 on all the directories so i did a recrusive chmod 777 /*.* -R
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

LOL.

Yeah, when I first started working, there was a at work who kinda knew a bit about linux and he broke something and the senior techy was getting really fed up of always being asked what to do, so led him on a merry chase and managed to sneak in a rm -r from root.
Judas

Post by Judas »

Ah, I remember the last time I said I wouldn't break anything... It was right before I accidentally ran 'rm -Rf /'. That taught me to only log in as root when it's absolutely necessary!
'One will rarely err if extreme actions be ascribed to vanity, ordinary actions to habit, and mean actions to fear.'
- Friedrich Nietzsche

'Do not argue with Judas, nube, that would be foolish!'
- D3PART3D
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

Funny how we all know that we shouldn't log in as root but we all knew better and did. The outcome, a “broken” box.

Don't log in as root unless you really have to.
shiv

Post by shiv »

The only reason I'm using Linux is because my university's computer science lans have it installed - I use Linux for my prac sessions.

For the past 2 years I've done Java - I could install the Eclipse IDE on my Windows PC at home and use it without a problem.

This year however, I'm doing C++, using both Eclipse and gcc, so I have to have Linux installed on my PC.

I'm not gonna use a console much, and I'm not gonna change settings I don't know about, so there's no harm for me logging in as root.
Anyway, if I break Linux, I'll have to reinstall it!!

Once my studies are over, I'll probably give Linux the boot!!
:lol:
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

shiv wrote:I'm not gonna use a console much, and I'm not gonna change settings I don't know about, so there's no harm for me logging in as root.
That's still not a good enough reason for wanting to login as root all the time. It's quite possible to do dev work on Linux while being logged in as a normal user; I compile stuff from source all the time without being a root user, so it's easy to do.

Only login as root if you need to change system settings. In all other cases, there is no reason to be root.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
shiv

Post by shiv »

I downloaded Firefox 2.0.0.3 a few days ago.
I tried extracting the contents of the tar.gz file to /usr/lib/firefox, but I got access denied messages.
I used a console (became root), and the extraction worked.
However, Firefox refuses to start, for some reason.
I logged in as root, extracted the archive again, using the GUI, not console, and then Firefox ran perfectly!!
I dunno, but I think SUSE is somehow faster as root on my PC!!

Why is Linux so unnecessarily complex?? :o
Soap

Post by Soap »

You can enable sudo to not prompt for a password, which isn't too hard. Just uncomment

# %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

in /etc/sudoers and everything should be set. Off course you have to be in the wheel group.
Nomadic_Imaginations

Post by Nomadic_Imaginations »

Talking about breaking a box. I had a problem the other day with suse 10.1. I couldn't get my 3D drivers to work so i went to the manufacturers website to get more info. Luckily I wasn't the only one with this problem so I found a solution to my problem within minutes. I did everything they said I should do according to their instructions. At the end of the page they said i should make changes to a .inf file under /etc/X11. I got a access denied message. i then decided to go into root out of desperation and changed the file exactly the way they said I should. I restarted my machine and you guessed it, I had a broken box!

STAY OUT OF ROOT!!
shiv

Haha

Post by shiv »

Well PCLinuxOS allows me to autologin as root.
Yay!!!
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

We won't label you as an id10t, we'll just remove the warning labels... LOL :lol:

As you can see, anyone who knows linux knows that root is dangerous. It's WAY more powerful than Windows "Administrator" could ever be. We're saying from past experiences that its a hell of a lot easier to mess things up while in root. You think "oh I'm not going to change settings", well when a program prompts you to compile it then says that *some file* needs to be changed, you go ahead and change it. Needless to say, your pc won't boot anymore... oops, guess you could say we told you so.

We not being mean, we're trying to show you that there are some things you just have to bare with in Linux, typing your root password repetitively is one of them. Although I'm sure you can find a file some where that allows you to change roots password to blank, IE when you need to do something you type

Code: Select all

su 
and your using root without a password.
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
shiv

Post by shiv »

Well if you read "The Great Linux vs Windows Debate Part 2" (no, I'm not giving you the link ;-0), you would know that I don't do the command line or compiling of programs, or any nutty stuff.
I use the GUI!!!

Anyway, I'm a noob, yes I said it!!!
I try Linux once in a while, just to see what's new, but that's it.
Ubuntu 8 sounds interesting, but it most likely will still have that dull software bundle...
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

shiv wrote: Why is Linux so unnecessarily complex?? :o
Linux is a multi-user OS. Permissions are really important in remote, multi-user environments. One day when you work in a big corporate running some flavour of *nix, you will understand and appreciate the "complexities".
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Logging in as root is fun. You can run all the nice commands like echo "123" > /dev/hda or cat /dev/hda > /dev/mem

:twisted:
shiv

Post by shiv »

@AlphA:

I'm generally in favor of usability over security.
Yes, in big corporate environments, security is important, that's were Linux shines.

@Nuke:
LOL ya, there's this command that involves /dev/mem (can't remember), when executed, Linux crashes, the whole system freezes...
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

echo "123" > /dev/hda will write 123 to the first sectors of your hdd, killing your bootloader/mbr(not sure witch one). Reinstall FTW.

cat /dev/hda > /dev/mem will dump you hdd to your Ram, crashing it solidly. Reset button FTW. It works well on servers without someone near. Its even better to use in when you did a echo "123" > /dev/hda first :twisted:
shiv

Cool

Post by shiv »

@ Nuke:

Sounds fun..... ;-)
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

Oh and btw, echo xxxxxxxx > /dev/pts/0 can be funny when someone else is SSHed into the box. Someone not knowing may be shocked is the CLI tells him he's a Sh1thead or something. You just tail -f /dev/mem > /dev/pts/0 too. :P

BTW I'm not responsible if you make the boss angry :lol:
shiv

LOL

Post by shiv »

OK now you're confusing me here.... LOL :lol:
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

@ Nuke: You're one sadistic little CLI wizard.... lol, I could learn a lot, he he he
mybrute
myminicity

ImageImage
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

Naa I'm still far from a CLI wizard. I just enjoy playing with linux from the CLI. But with fiddling you will crash it half of the time :lol:
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

true, true
mybrute
myminicity

ImageImage