Recommendations for a Spyware/Trojan scanner??

Viruses, hackers and crackers
SilverBack

Recommendations for a Spyware/Trojan scanner??

Post by SilverBack »

Hi Everyone,

I just got hit with some spyware. Had no software installed to protect my pc from it, and now have windows defender running. Hopefully it will stop it from happening again! :wink:

Anyways....had a nasty one, kept on resetting my home page to a file called secure32.html, had some blue screen with a warning message. No matter how many times I deleted the file from my c: drive, it just re-appeared. After some hectic searching, I found a way to remove it....finally! :D

So my question is, can anyone recommend a spyware/trojan scanner? I came across a lot of them, some were terrible, others needed a code to remove spyware...and others just didnt work so well.

Im looking for a tool that can scan and find all spyware, trojans etc, and remove them all. Anyone got some ideas :?:

Thanks!
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Hire A Programmer -|- Just Source Code Blog
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Thrall on Practising Safe HEX

to date, no package catches all of the evil pixies... i find that spybot/avg anti-spyware work well together.. but you would still need to worry about issues introduced by rootkits, ( scan with blacklight/hijack this/rootkit revealer), ala sony et al...

AVG comes at a modest price and offers the full package... (i still wouldn't let go of spybot though :) - mainly because it offers functionality you won't find in the others.. )
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Thanks rusty...gonna give spybot a try... :wink:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

be aware, spybot doesn't catch all of them... i've had many instances where spybot issued a "cangrats you're clean" while avg unearthed some trackers... once even a trojan, (acquired after installing some pcf 3dnot :lol: - that'll teach me to go old-school...)

avg runs at full functionality until the trial ends, at which point you have to revert to manual scans, (the active portion is silently removed at boot), or purchase.... spybot catches a fair amount, while allowing you to manage startups, lmhost file, etc, etc, ...

the fact is, the scanners available are all reactive... they can only catch what they're looking for.. if they don't know about it, they're not going to tag it... hence the dual-scan system...

adaware has yet to catch anything spybot didn't, so it's more or less even between the two... although adaware has a BHO plugin which is handy for catching those rotters as well...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

So far spybot seems good, and is fairly simple to use. I have heard about avg...so will look into that too. Means I will have windows defender, spybot and avg running. Should be fine then....I hope! Thanks again! :wink:
naughty

Post by naughty »

try "security task manager" - it works for a 15 days with full functionality - then continues working if you pay for it

was very highly rated in cnet and a few other mags in the states
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

I still havent find one which I feel comfortable with.

So far iv found Counter Spy and ZoneAlarm 7's anti spyware rather good.

I found Adware SE and Xoftspy the worst iv used so far.

But thats just me.
Last edited by PsyCLown on 02 Jan 2007, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

a-squared free rocks.

Lazarus - Shattered Halls

ek se hosh. dala kulids. ghle, ho! oom, atts! hoe lyk die kambotcha? gwallafest 2007