New Speed Cameras Have Arrived

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Rikkelz

New Speed Cameras Have Arrived

Post by Rikkelz »

Here is an article about them.

Yip it's true, they're here! Damn! Sorry for the low quality pictures, didn't have much time to snap a picture. And don't laugh at the drawing! :P

This particular one is at the end of Durban road in Pietermaritzburg, near where it turns into the N3, but before the robots.

The three lower circles must be the lenses with camera(s) behind them, the upper boxes look like flash units.

I haven't seen the second camera yet, but I'll keep an eye out!

I'm sure many of you don't travel to PMB, but just this is just in case you pass through in the coming holidays.

Mods: If this doesn't fit here, please move to a more appropriate place.
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Nice find! Interesting, this:
In a three-month trial, starting in early November, they will use a distance-time system to determine a vehicle's average speed between two cameras, placed, in this instance, 13.8km apart.
advertisement

Fryer Dudley explains the system measures the average speed of vehicles by using licence plate recognition (LPR) units installed at toll plazas or on bridges. Even if vehicles are travelling within the legal speed limit when they pass the two cameras, the system will be able to calculate whether they were speeding between the sites.
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

My friend was telling me about these things.

That's not fun :(
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

These camera's are basterds. My mom didn't ever get a speeding ticket untill these came along. She had to pay two the other day...hehe
capanno

Post by capanno »

Down with speedfreak scum.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
Rikkelz

Post by Rikkelz »

Huh? I thought this was the first of its kind in SA?
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Hmm, this really sucks! Luckly I dont drive yet so I wont have to be paying any fines. :wink:
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Thats a real bummer! Looks like we gonna have to find another way around these ones aswel! No more slowing down for the camera and then speeding again :cry: :cry:

The way around it might just be to see if the traffic department is gonna follow up on the recordings and they gotta try get the timings right. I read somewhere that the mobile cameras that the cops use, went into testing, it got pointed at a building and the 11 story building was doing 6km/h!
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

silv3rback wrote:Thats a real bummer! Looks like we gonna have to find another way around these ones aswel! No more slowing down for the camera and then speeding again :cry: :cry:

The way around it might just be to see if the traffic department is gonna follow up on the recordings and they gotta try get the timings right. I read somewhere that the mobile cameras that the cops use, went into testing, it got pointed at a building and the 11 story building was doing 6km/h!
Thats why if you get pulled over or get sent a ticket in the mail you can request the calibration certificate for the camera that must be valid for the date of the offense...no certificate, no fine
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

My mom did that last year some time. Yeah, she was speeding but the clock was wrong on the camera and we had to do the whole court deal but she didnt have to pay, she wasnt at that place at that time.... They obviosly had to drop charges!

What if you get stuck behind a truck and want to over take, you gonna speed up, decreasing your time between the two cameras and then you busted... Lets see how long the traffic department can run these cameras for! CCTV cams in CT didnt work too well, the either stollen or broken