WoW vs GuildWars

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
GrimStoner

WoW vs GuildWars

Post by GrimStoner »

Hi

I'm getting ADSL like, tomorrow, and I wanna do some online gaming.

The guy at the store says he recommends WoW, because its more PVE than PVP. But, there's a monthly fee with WoW.

Care to recommend one?
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Do you really want to do Role Playing or do you like First Person? Or Strategy?

Id say get Guild Wars first to see if you like the online experience, then if it really is worth it for you get WOW at a later stage...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
XIII

Post by XIII »

I agree if you've never played an online game like WOW before then I suggest you start with GW as there is no subscription fee and it will keep you entertained for a bit.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Guild Wars is free which is a big plus. Also, it is a really good game... although one cannot compare it to WoW.

Firstly the PvE element of Guild Wars is boring and unsatisfying compared to the brilliant PvE of WoW. PvP is more what GW is about. Its PvP system is very competitive and varied. Nevertheless, I prefer the PvP system in WoW. It is not as complex but it feels more rewarding.

If you want to get addicted, buy WoW. The monthly fee won't even be an issue... I promise... you will actually save money because you wont be easy tempted to buy new games with 10hrs of shallow single player gameplay once you start WoW. And for R130 a month its worth it 100%!

My verdict, get WoW straight away. Don't even look at GW. Sure, its a good game and I have played through both Prophesies and Factions... but that was before I got WoW. Now Nightfall is out and I haven't been bothered to even get it... its not worth getting a substandard game if you can play the most fun game ever made.

I promise you get WoW, you will not be disappointed!
UsMarshal

Post by UsMarshal »

Although I am an avid WoW fan I must agree, if you like the MMORPG experience and Guildwars does not do it for you, try WoW. Alot of people complain about the monthly subscription but look at it my way.

I used to buy at least two new games a month for the PC or end up spending
money on some upgrade ever since I started playing WoW last year August I have bought 1 other game, therefore instead of me spending R600 a month on new games, I only spend R110 a month on my WoW subscription. A word of warning WoW is very addictive, the designed it that way, but its very enjoyable.
Nerevar

Post by Nerevar »

I started with GW when I got dsl. Lasted for about 1 or 2 months and buyed wow. That was one year ago and the game is still awsome =o

R110+- a month is nothing for the awsome experiance wow will be for you.

Dont bother with GW, get WoW.

Better pvp and pve.
No debate ;p
E6600@2.9GHz, Asus8800 GTS, 2x2GB
Patriot DDR2 4-4-4-12 @ 900MHz
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Agreed. World of Warcraft is the way to go if you have R130 odd subscription to dish. If you are tight on the wallet, do the other sub-rated mmo games.

s
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Stay away from WoW. It's addictive and you'll often find yourself staying up a bit longer than usual to finish some kind of quest.

WoW is better GW in all ways except graphics.

And remember there is ASDL issues near the end of the month which means huge problems when doing a 40man raid in wow. BE WARNED!
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Nerevar

Post by Nerevar »

I do 40 man raids /doh
My latency goes from 500 to around 1200 on the last 3 days of a month.
Unshaped also helps for those days I guess, but really taking 3 days off aint that bad 8O

I'm eu, so dont know if us is better or worse.
E6600@2.9GHz, Asus8800 GTS, 2x2GB
Patriot DDR2 4-4-4-12 @ 900MHz