kaboom

Any hardware related topics go here.
waxi

kaboom

Post by waxi »

I had my PC in for repaires, did not want to boot up. few days later I received a call from Eugene at Matrix PMB, telling me, that his XP disc that he was using to try an re-install, exploded in my DVD rom. He said it made a hell of a bang and forced the tiny shattererd disc pieces through the front seems of the drive. The actual drive casing was slightly bulged out. He showed me the tiny pieces of the disc. Any way he was also at a loss to the cause, maybe someone out their knows the cause. Eugene managed to salvage the DVD rom and its working fine...so far.
FuNkY14

Post by FuNkY14 »

LOL! It happened to me as well a few months ago. I was playing COD and all of a sudden there was this huge bang! I almost fell of my chair. Don't know how/why it happened either though :D
Soap

Post by Soap »

Often, if CDs have slight cracks around their centre hole, the likelihood of it shattering is substantially increased. That disc sounds like some "disc loading" CD, that's been used for the past 3 years there...
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Yep. Cracks in the CD, spinning and KABLOOEY!
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

A friend of mines CD-ROM used to do this to quite a few CDs that had no cracks at all. It happens when you buy dodgy brands sometime.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

There was a thing about CD's exploding inside your PC on Mythbusters a while back. Was pretty interesting!

Its happened to my Dad while he was trying to install XP, not so cool but it was a good story to laugh about in the end
FBiT

Post by FBiT »

It happened to me as well in January this year....

Took some surgery to get all the pieces out of my DVD rom...

...And I'm still using the same DVD rom in my PC - no probs

:eh: ...1st time I saw something like that!
1!f3 !5 t3h |335+i
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't....

Deviant
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

more on it at here and here and even also here - I just thawt its so cool to know more about this ! Since the first link i gave proves that it wasted my writer!!! :cry:
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

They had this on Mythbusters a while back. :D
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

Lol, silv3rback said that like 3 posts ago.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

I wanna know what brand drives you guys had?
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Aopen CD Writer with an original cd that showed no visible cracks in my case...

Had to pry pieces of plastic from between a few metal pieces in the writer with a set of pliers... Have trouble with opening the drive every so often, but it still works, so I dont mind....
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
Belix

Post by Belix »

Original XP Disks seem to be rather prone to it...if heard of at least three occassion where the XP disk has shattered in the drive.

Also, I left a few old CDR disk in the office for a few days. Yesterday I noticed that the top one had cracked radially on one side, and all the media was curled back. Can only imagine the sun got to. Either heat or UV? Don't know...

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

thats why I made a copy of my original disc, it now sits safely in the cupboard while my copy goes with my PC, nothing worse than being at a lan and you need to reinstall cause of a virus.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Damn I have heard of it but that one picture in the link was quite impressive. Those discs must have been spinning at one hell of a speed.
Soap

Post by Soap »

Slasher wrote:Aopen CD Writer with an original cd that showed no visible cracks in my case...

Had to pry pieces of plastic from between a few metal pieces in the writer with a set of pliers... Have trouble with opening the drive every so often, but it still works, so I dont mind....
But that's Aopen. They are crappy anyway.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

KillerByte wrote:thats why I made a copy of my original disc, it now sits safely in the cupboard while my copy goes with my PC, nothing worse than being at a lan and you need to reinstall cause of a virus.
Yipp.totally agree! :D
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Ark
Processor: E4400
Graphics card: 8800GTX
Memory: 4GB DDR2

Post by Ark »

Wait till its like 2 in the morning and your playing Doom 3 by yourself in the dark and the cd shatters. You'll ***** your pants.