Post your Idea of the perfect lan here.

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
reyals

Post your Idea of the perfect lan here.

Post by reyals »

The name says it all, what games, what time of the day, what prizesThink realistically please!!!!)Little points people forget when hosting a lan. With your input we gamers can take over the world, 1 lan at a time!
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

Umm, I don't LAN much so I would say.

1. Whatever the latest games are at the moment, and the most played

2. Time of day? LANs generally last at least an entire day, or a weekend. So I say from Friday to Sunday night would be best.

3. If the LAN is to be mainly for games, then why not have prizes that gamers would like. Gaming keyboards and mice, legal copies of games, and obviously things like graphics cards, CPUs, cases, monitors, as long as you have the money or can find some sponsors.
reyals

Post by reyals »

Im checking sponsors, thinking about a legal comp/club, hey check it, im mixin business with pleasure!
Overheard

Post by Overheard »

have a dota competion@!@1
comanche

Post by comanche »

the only prob with running the latest games is that many time most pc's wills struggle running them.

Then again, the new BF lanned would be a big jol
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Have a whole bunch of hot chicks in bikini's at the lan! And they dig white and nerdy guys. :D Come hiphopbunny, bring all your friends, it's for a better community! :P Ask not what PCF can do for you, but what you can do...

Free food and drinks! :P

Oops was I suppose to answer seriously? Well in that case :

1. 1Gigabit switches
2. Place to purchase food
3. Safety - I don't want my stuff stolen and I'd like my car to safe too
4. Aircon or something to cool the pc's cool and us
5. A good turnout but not too many
6. Structured timings of games being played
7. Competitions or giveaways
8. A running chat client app for peeps to chat
9. Have it over 2 days and have a time to sleep, these crazy mofo's that stay awake all night are freaking stupid
10. Make it cheap like R50 or so
11. Decent toliets, all these places have prison style bathrooms and make you fear dropping the soap.
12. BE IN DURBAN! All the cool lans happen in Joburg or some overly commercial place like that.
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

My idea of a perfect LAN is one where DotA, Counter-Strike and all Quake 3 mods are banned. :P

Other than that...
  1. Gigabit network, or at the very least, a Gigabit backbone
  2. Lots of people
  3. Tournaments
  4. Prizes
  5. 24hr food (otherwise I have to ask friends to take me with them when they go to McDonalds)
  6. Some chat utility - either TeamSpeak or IRC.
  7. Lots of Flatout 2 being played :D
  8. Oh yeah... DURBAN.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

I'd say the perfect LAN for me would be

1) Gigabit LAN on Cisco switches
2) Every person attending the LAN have a high spec sponsored PC
3) FREE food and drinks on demand
4) brought to the guys by babes in bikini's and I suppose for the girls whatever they prefer
5) NO CELL PHONES!!! If my wife phones once more in the middle of a game I'm going to crack... (Come to think of it - My wife won't approve of the babes in bikini's lol)
6) a sleeping area for when you eventually get tired
7) secure parking
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

Would have to agree on the babes, free food and drinks, Gigabit connection, babes, extreme internet connection for online gaming, extreme sponsored pc's for all to use, safety and security, babes and must last for like a week so that everyone can join...

oh and did I mention the babes?? :)
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
mOUSIE

Post by mOUSIE »

LOL, what exactly r these babes gonna be doing? :lol:
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Id say a gigabit switch, high end PCs, FPS's, good gamers, good food and drinks with cheap prices, nice gaming enviroment (comfortable chairs, desks, lighting must be good.etc), uncapped 4MB ADSL connection (if in SA), decent useful prizes (like money, online vouchers.etc)
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
SadistiK

Post by SadistiK »

SHOWERS, WITH HOT WATER.

I cannot stress to you enough, how much being dirty at a lan, puts me off.

The smell of dirty smelly gamers just makes me want to hurl :(

Edit:

Actually, im an avid lanner, and here are the top 10 things to keep in mind running a successfull lan.

1. Keep it simple, yet effective (dont go for massive layout of cables and switches etc, rather keep it neat and tidy).

2. Comfy chairs, nobody likes sitting on a chair that hurts their back.

3. Correct height of tables, it's irritating if you cant' get underneath the table with your chair.

4. Airconditioning.

5. FTP or http server with the latest patches/av updates and ms updates.

6. NO LOUD MUSIC (atleast not during sleeping times, ie 9PM - 9AM). Ever tried sleeping at a lan with a sound system going full blast all night long?

7. 24 Hour food service, burgers, hotdogs, cooldrinks and perhaps smokes for the smokers (please make them smoke OUSTIDE the venue).

8. Parking, and easy access to the entrance, with staff at the door available to help with IP/Subnet setups, registering and making sure you are pointed to your designated seats.

9. Stable power and network, probably the most important factor, no LAN can run without these two. Have proper backup equipment, UPS's for servers and reduntant psu's. Nothing kills a lan like a power/network outtage.

10. Central location, and easy access, detailed roadmaps how to get there, and punctuality. Keep to the times, if you say it starts at 7PM on a friday afternoon, make sure your lan is up and running in a stable condition at 6PM.

As a Side note, people who say make lans cheap dont realise how much, it actually costs to get it up and running initially.

Mayhem have spent in excess of 40k on JUST power in their hall, an they house an average of 200 gamers a month. It's R60 odd a person, which makes it around R12 000 a lan, subtract the rent, power usage, equipment cost, staff cost, effort and time spent, you aren't left with a very profitable event.

My personal opinion? R50 a day is fair ie R100 for Friday-Sunday.

Coming from a LAN hosting background, I can tell you, these abovementioned points will make or break your lans.

Cheers
Last edited by SadistiK on 09 Nov 2006, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

SadistiK wrote:SHOWERS, WITH HOT WATER.

I cannot stress to you enough, how much being dirty at a lan, puts me off.

The smell of dirty smelly gamers just makes me want to hurl :(
Well you take a shower before you go LANing and hope they have A/C! :D
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Mori

Post by Mori »

neon_chameleon wrote:Have a whole bunch of hot chicks in bikini's at the lan! And they dig white and nerdy guys. :D
Yeah!!! Not a bad idea, but how are you going to concentrate on gaming ?
redeemer0302

Post by redeemer0302 »

The one thing i would like at a LAN is elevators.
carrying ure machine up several flights of stairs is enough
to put any one off :?
oh and trolleys or something to cart all our stuff around :wink:
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Mori wrote:
neon_chameleon wrote:Have a whole bunch of hot chicks in bikini's at the lan! And they dig white and nerdy guys. :D
Yeah...I was alsao thinking of that...but maybe have them for when you need to relax... 8) :D :twisted:

Spoiler (show)
Mori

Post by Mori »

PsyCLown wrote:
Mori wrote:
Yeah...I was alsao thinking of that...but maybe have them for when you need to relax... 8) :D :twisted:
Now THAT, I can live with. Know of a few guys here, after the relaxation part, that won't be returning for the gaming. :lol:
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Well you use the gaming time for recharging time.... ;)
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

neon_chameleon wrote:Well you use the gaming time for recharging time.... ;)
yeah....one can use the gaming time as recharging and then go relax when they fully charged again...sounds like a awsome LAN to me!!! :D :lol: 8) :twisted: :wink:

Spoiler (show)
reyals

Post by reyals »

thanks for all the advice, keep it comming! I really appreciate it, were thinking of making it a monthly thing, R50 per comp,dont know about the girls yet though, but will keep it in mind, were checking for sponsors for pc's etc. love the chat idea, what do you guys think of wireless lan? i dont know the transfer speeds of it so i would love it if you guys can give me some feedback on that. im doing this cause the only lans we have here is private and ussually end up with drunk people and fixing the poor guy who's p2 gives trouble. thanks again, signin off with another wise word: Ble!!!!
Iceblade
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: MSI gaming Z87 MPower
Graphics card: MSI R9290 OC edition Twin FROZR
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 2x8gb 2400

Post by Iceblade »

Reyals is this for Bloemfontein :?:
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

neon_chameleon wrote:Have a whole bunch of hot chicks in bikini's at the lan! And they dig white and nerdy guys. :D Come hiphopbunny, bring all your friends, it's for a better community! :P Ask not what PCF can do for you, but what you can do...

Free food and drinks! :P

Oops was I suppose to answer seriously? Well in that case :

1. 1Gigabit switches
2. Place to purchase food
3. Safety - I don't want my stuff stolen and I'd like my car to safe too
4. Aircon or something to cool the pc's cool and us
5. A good turnout but not too many
6. Structured timings of games being played
7. Competitions or giveaways
8. A running chat client app for peeps to chat
9. Have it over 2 days and have a time to sleep, these crazy mofo's that stay awake all night are freaking stupid
10. Make it cheap like R50 or so
11. Decent toliets, all these places have prison style bathrooms and make you fear dropping the soap.
12. NOT TO BE IN DURBAN! All the cool lans happen in Joburg or some overly commercial place like that.
Perfect.
reyals

Post by reyals »

I might try it in bloem, im organizing for pe right now
reyals

Post by reyals »

asdfg
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

potatoes rock...

What was the asdgf?
Last edited by I34z1k on 10 Nov 2006, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.