Impact of Direct X 10

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
druedd

Impact of Direct X 10

Post by druedd »

Hi

Hope this has been discussed before, can someone point me to the "forum" subset as I could not identify it with a search.

Regards
druedd

Post by druedd »

The following has come to my attention and I would like to validate the information:-

1) DX 10 will only be available for Vista, rendering all 32 bit computers useless?
2) DX 10 is not backward compatible, therefore if the game is written for dx 10, dx 9 will not support it, rendering all our screen cards useless?
3) Vista requires 1 gig of ram for entry and installs to 10 gig on the HDD without add-ons and makes a 3.8 gig chip feel like a P3 700 with XP?
4) All new games will be developed for DX 10?

Can someone please confirm this.

Regards
Judas

Post by Judas »

druedd wrote:The following has come to my attention and I would like to validate the information:-

1) DX 10 will only be available for Vista, rendering all 32 bit computers useless?
Yes, DX10 will only be released for Vista - but 32-bit versions of Vista are available, so you needn't worry about that.
druedd wrote:2) DX 10 is not backward compatible, therefore if the game is written for dx 10, dx 9 will not support it, rendering all our screen cards useless?
DX10 will be fully backwards compatible with old cards - they just won't be able to use the features new to DX10.
druedd wrote:3) Vista requires 1 gig of ram for entry and installs to 10 gig on the HDD without add-ons and makes a 3.8 gig chip feel like a P3 700 with XP?
Vista does require a gig of RAM, but it doesn't use that much hard disk space... I think it only used that much in early beta versions because they left the debugging symbols in the binaries. The performance should be about the same as Windows XP if you have a decent processor.
druedd wrote:4) All new games will be developed for DX 10?
Eventually yes, but not immediately. Apart from all the OpenGL games of course :).

Hope that clears things up :D
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Judas wrote: Apart from all the OpenGL games of course .
I heard about that. Watsup with DX10 not being able to support OpelGL?
Im kinda a n00b when it comes to gaming
Judas

Post by Judas »

silv3rback wrote:
Judas wrote: Apart from all the OpenGL games of course .
I heard about that. Watsup with DX10 not being able to support OpelGL?
Im kinda a n00b when it comes to gaming
I heard rumours that there wasn't going to be any OpenGL support in Vista, but I think that there was such an outcry that they decided to include it :D. Support probably would have been provided via nVidia/ATI drivers anyway.

I think that DirectX is probably more advance than OpenGL at this stage, but I still prefer OpenGL because:
  1. DirectX is made by Microsoft.
  2. OpenGL is supported on Linux
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Of what I've seen most games are running on OpelGL anyway (dont quote me on that though!) so I reckon Micro$oft would be making huge losses on peeps in the gaming community wanting to play games on Vista
Judas wrote:I think that DirectX is probably more advance than OpenGL at this stage, but I still prefer OpenGL because:

1.DirectX is made by Microsoft.
2.OpenGL is supported on Linux
So I take it you not going to be running to the shops to get Vista next year then? :wink:
Judas

Post by Judas »

silv3rback wrote:So I take it you not going to be running to the shops to get Vista next year then? :wink:
Lol, probably not ;)

I only really use Windows for gaming, so I'm happy with XP for the moment. I'm way more excited about KDE 4 than I am about Vista :D
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

We running a Linux Kubuntu network at school as well as a Novell Client server and I must say the Linux one is more reliable BUT I've played around with it and the version we got going on at school didnt really work for me (and yet another BUT) a friend of mine got some new @@s version of Linux and I must say its pretty p!mping...still prefering Windows though. Im very amped for Vista to come out. All I gotta do is save for a descent system and then save for Vista. I got RC2 on my old rig and it ran like sh**

To think of all the things I could have bought that I spent on Windows XP Pro...I suppose thats where Linux is great
Judas

Post by Judas »

I think Linux has come a long way recently with all the interest in it - I remember when I started using it about two years ago, it was nowhere near ready to compete with XP on the desktop. Now it's got some pretty nifty features - I've uploaded a pic of my desktop. I really like the applet that shows info about your system :D

I'd like to try Vista, but I can't bring myself to spend so much cash on an operating system when I can use Linux for free. If someone were to give me a copy of Vista (fully licensed and legal of course ;)) I'd be interested to try it out. I was close to downloading RC2, but that would have used up half my cap for the month. :(
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

OOOH OOH OOH where can I get it? Its looking pretty cool hey! Its so different to what we got going at school. That version sucks. I must check for you when I go write again but I think its somewhere near v2 or something wack! Is the OS just Linux KDE?? I think we went a little off topic from DX10....SPAMMER :lol:

Can you maybe PM some links to download Linux. Im interested in checking it out again when I get my new rig
Judas

Post by Judas »

silv3rback wrote:OOOH OOH OOH where can I get it? Its looking pretty cool hey! Its so different to what we got going at school. That version sucks. I must check for you when I go write again but I think its somewhere near v2 or something wack! Is the OS just Linux KDE?? I think we went a little off topic from DX10....SPAMMER :lol:

Can you maybe PM some links to download Linux. Im interested in checking it out again when I get my new rig
Yeah, it's just ordinary Linux running KDE with a little program called SuperKaramba that provides the applets. There's hundreds of little applets, some really cool ones :D

There's dozens of Linux distributions, pick whichever tickles your fancy - I started a thread here with a summary of the different versions, and download links, etc. If you need any help getting Linux set up feel free to PM me. :D
silv3rback wrote:....SPAMMER :lol:
I know, I'm so ashamed... :cry:

Lol, at least it's semi-useful spamming, right? ;)
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

Officially Vista can run on only 512 MB RAM, and a Directx 9 compatible graphics card (preferably with 128 MB memory)
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Judas wrote:There's dozens of Linux distributions, pick whichever tickles your fancy - I started a thread here with a summary of the different versions, and download links, etc
You telling me. Coming from the Windows World I gotta choice of XP Home, Pro and 64bit and a max of 2/3 others. I would get really confused with all the version of Linux. I've tried out Slackware but it was a mission to install compared to XP and I was battling to run my Sound Card. I make music, so without music Im a bit lost!

Judas wrote:If you need any help getting Linux set up feel free to PM me.
Shot bro, I will definatly do that!

I think we should start a clan of thread jacking! Im sure Cameron would be stoked about that. We couldnt get more off topic if we tried...sorry druedd :cry: our bad...it is kinda fun though :twisted:
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

Linux is and will always be harder to use than Windows. This is good because it keeps away most of the n00bs. But with "things" such as Ubuntu around nowadays Linux might one day become a good alternative to Windows, that won't be happening very soon though.

I can use Linux, it's fun when I'm bored. But for my everyday needs, which is a lot of multimedia, gaming, browsing, chatting, and doing reports, Windows is a lot quicker and easier to use.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Azgard wrote:I can use Linux, it's fun when I'm bored. But for my everyday needs, which is a lot of multimedia, gaming, browsing, chatting, and doing reports, Windows is a lot quicker and easier to use.
I got the same problem! I dig playing around with Linux at school and I had it installed on my PC at one stage..back in the day... and its getting used to a whole new OS thats the issue for me. I've been using Windows since 3.1 so Im kinda used to what Bill creates, even though its REALLY expensive. I rate Im gonna try the KDE thingy Judas told me about, sounds cool!
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

Same, if I had been using Linux since day one I'm sure I'd be weary to move to Windows. I like using Windows, went to the official Vista launch thing tonight at the Rectron Road Show and it looks really excellent. They've built in a lot of Linux like features, searches everywhere, etc, etc..

Will definitely be getting that sometime after it comes out.

Wasn't this topic about DirectX 10??
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Lucky! I would'v loved to be there! Im looking forward to Vista's release. I got hold of RC2 a while back and it does look and work really well!
Azgard wrote:Wasn't this topic about DirectX 10??
It was, sorry! Judas and I got into one of those Windows vs. Linux debates

Anyway, back on topic now! Sorry :wink:
Judas

Post by Judas »

KDE is probably the closest thing to the Windows interface Linux has to offer... With a few extras :D

I agree though, XP is still easier to use than Linux, though Ubuntu is closing the gap rapidly. That's probably why I don't like Ubuntu much... It's too easy to use. I like to be able to tweak and configure my system however I want it.

I think the thing that scares most Windows users migrating to Linux is the fact that they don't have any familiar old programs, and aren't keen on testing out all the Linux alternatives, which are actually pretty cool - I wouldn't trade Winamp or WMP for Amarok. I especially like the way it automatically retrieves the lyrics for your songs...
Soap

Post by Soap »

I prefer Xfce :P
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

Judas wrote:That's probably why I don't like Ubuntu much... It's too easy to use.
My thoughts exactly. Although I must say I have never had pleasant experiences with it. Corrupted my MBR twice, and with the latest one Grub didn't like me deleting the partition that Ubuntu was installed on.. :? Give me good old Mandrake anyway! Even Suse is pretty cool to work with. Although I must admit I've been using Gnome recently, used to use KDE though. Think I preferred KDE.

If too many people move over to Linux, and don't actually know what they're doing it's just gonna cause problems!
druedd

Post by druedd »

Thanks, was not aware of the 32 bit vosta versio to be released, provides some hope.

I currently have two machines, one with a Sapphire X800 XT PE and the other with a Sapphire X1900XT card upgradable to crssfire (and I do have 2X 500 watt power supplies to do this). These cards cost me a bundle and I was willing to move over to crossifre in future.

Based on the above the new functionality will not be available to me, although I invested almost R10k in the setup.

If the initial release of XP is anything to go by, we should not buy it till the release of service pack 1, otherwise it will not work anyway.

Based on the investigation performed, it appears that there will be significantly gains when dx 10 is implemented, hich we will be losing out on.

Beautiful

Regards
-UNSTABLE-

Post by -UNSTABLE- »

Vista will require minimum of 512mb of ram recommended 1gig.