Group policy editor entries, lock down PC?

Viruses, hackers and crackers
Gromit

Group policy editor entries, lock down PC?

Post by Gromit »

Was wondering if anyone knows of any modifications to the Global Policy editor on XP Pro that can lock down a user.

The user just needs to send/receive email (outlook); create MS word documents; access to the net (through squid proxy) and access to a network folder. Otherwise I want to lock down all other privileges eg. add/remove programs; change system settings and so on.
Port Elizabeth Wireless User Group
www.pewifi.co.za
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Standard user

Post by Tel »

Giving the user "standard user" privileges should restrict most of the stuff you're asking?

Preferably, you wouldn't want to use the local Group Policy on a PC, since this would change settings for all users on that PC.
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Ok, that would work to a certain extent, but I want to totally lock them out of some features eg. control panel; internet options (through the browser).

If I make the account a "limited account" they can still access certain settings in control panel.
www.pewifi.co.za
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

That is true. But using the local Group Policy is not recommended due to the effect that it has. If Global Group Policy is used, then there is still the option of changing the policy from the domain controller and if a local admin logs onto the local machine then the policy doesn't have an effect.

The difference with editing the local Group Policy is that the changes affect the entire machine, including the local admin user. 8O
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Tel wrote:That is true. But using the local Group Policy is not recommended due to the effect that it has. If Global Group Policy is used, then there is still the option of changing the policy from the domain controller and if a local admin logs onto the local machine then the policy doesn't have an effect.

The difference with editing the local Group Policy is that the changes affect the entire machine, including the local admin user. 8O
Thanks for all the help, but what do you propose I do? Is there another option?
www.pewifi.co.za
Rikkelz

Post by Rikkelz »

Tel wrote:The difference with editing the local Group Policy is that the changes affect the entire machine, including the local admin user. 8O
Which is scary...

Gromit, the way Group Policys were meant to work was through a domain environment. If you have a domain what you are wanting to do is a cinch.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Do what Tel said or

hack the registry so only specific applications can run.

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/113/

Just be careful

Note: If you are the person who applies Group Policy, do not apply this restriction to yourself. If applied too broadly, this policy can prevent administrators from running Group Policy or the registry editors. As a result, once applied, you cannot change this policy except by reinstalling Windows.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

That's quite an interesting article SBSP. That could help Gromit a bit, but it won't stop the restricted user from accessing the control panel and certain settings within IE for example.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Yea i know sometimes i have strange ideas.

The controlpanel is an application C:\windows\system32\control.exe

It might not run with the above registry hack.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

SBSP wrote:Yea i know sometimes i have strange ideas.

The controlpanel is an application C:\windows\system32\control.exe

It might not run with the above registry hack.
but ie is stil aprob