Long range networking...

Network problem solving and tweaks
Off-The-Chart

Long range networking...

Post by Off-The-Chart »

Ok so our internet router is in 1 building, and my pc is in my room in another building, with the house in between the 2...

Currently I have a cable running from the network hub, through the house and then over to my room... It must easily be bout 30 meters long... :cry:

Now I was wondering if any1 knows of a way which I can keep the strength of the signal without having to have this long cable?

It is also exposed to the outside which probably has a gr8 effect on the quality of the signal... Think this is maybe 1 of the reasons for my connection sometimes being very slow...

Ne1 know of such a way?
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

There are a quite a few things you could do:

Get a wireless network going as the ranges increases outdoors, although the house in the middle will drop it a bit. This is what I would recommend. Best would be to have a wireless AP or router setup in the house, since it's closer to both your room and the internet router. Then you just connect it all wireless and don't have to worry about a long cable and signal attenuation.

This will work in theory but if you live in a very "noisy" environment then the wireless network range and signal quality might not be enough.. Also it would cost quite a lot to set this up, at least R800 I'd guess.

Having a long cable like that causes a lot of attenuation. I'm guessing you're using UTP Cat5e? It would be better to split it up and have a switch or repeater say in the house, then have a cable from your room to the switch, and from the internet router to the switch. This should increase network throughput a lot! And this would cost a lot less than the wireless option ;)
mOUSIE

Post by mOUSIE »

me and my mate lives next door to each other and we got a long network cable linking us together, also bout 30 meters or so, but we havn't had any trouble with it.

we mostly use it for games, but on occasions he connects to the net through my modem.

we buried it bout 100mm underground, not much. just so the dogs or anything dont chew it, or trip on it.

i know tellcom says thats its illegal to run a cable between 2 houses, but the guy that helped me install it works for tellcom :lol:
Last edited by mOUSIE on 06 Nov 2006, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

You shouldn't really say that on a public forum, since that it is illegal to have a cable running over property lines :?

Glad it works for you though, have always wanted to try that but my closest friend is about 300 meters away :(
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

Sadly burryng it is out since lots of bricks in the way... :(

Also thought bout the wireless, but as you mentioned, it is very 'noisy' in between...

Think I might try the switch or repeater in between... It is gonna be much easier just to see if it actually does help...

Thanx
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

slightly off topic but how does this legislation work if you're wanting to share an internet connection in a complex and the units are sectional title?

Back on topic though, i saw a webpage a few days ago talking about setting up wireless lans which have the power to transmit over 100s of meters. I'll try find it

Not the site i found before, but this might be interesting reading

http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Azgard wrote:You shouldn't really say that on a public forum, since that it is illegal to have a cable running over property lines :?
But what about a wireless network, seeing as a lot of places these days set up wireless points... Would it be legal to have a wireless point JUST across the wall and then from there on further just run a cable?
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Slasher wrote:
Azgard wrote:You shouldn't really say that on a public forum, since that it is illegal to have a cable running over property lines :?
But what about a wireless network, seeing as a lot of places these days set up wireless points... Would it be legal to have a wireless point JUST across the wall and then from there on further just run a cable?
Same thing...you're not allowed to setup your own electronic communication between property boundries.
Azgard
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Azgard »

Yea, and if you leave your wireless network unsecured and someone connects to it from outside your property they are basically causing you to break the law... :?
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Azgard wrote:Yea, and if you leave your wireless network unsecured and someone connects to it from outside your property they are basically causing you to break the law... :?
That's so stupid.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Ron2K wrote:
Azgard wrote:Yea, and if you leave your wireless network unsecured and someone connects to it from outside your property they are basically causing you to break the law... :?
That's so stupid.
And so is having your car stolen and used for crimes, but it happens. It's not like you'll be proscecuted, but if they detect you they'll come knocking on your door.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

I learn't in N++ that a Cat5 network cable should be able to handle a max length of 100m.

So 30M shouldnt be a prob.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

viceroy wrote:
Slasher wrote:
Same thing...you're not allowed to setup your own electronic communication between property boundries.
Are you sure about this? The reason why I ask is because a lot a wireless networks are springing up, but because they using license free ranges its legal.

See here and here
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

From the first link wrote:(NO WE DO NOT PROVIDE INTERNET!!)
From the second link wrote:We do not sell internet access
I think this might the key phrase we're looking for. I know Telkom has serious issues with sharing ADSL connections with your neighbors
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

True!
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

[quote="Cameron
Are you sure about this? The reason why I ask is because a lot a wireless networks are springing up, but because they using license free ranges its legal.

See here and here[/quote]

That means there is a LAN right under my nose, and my Wifi card
lives in my drawer.

I will be testing that out tonight.

Thanks Off-The-Chart for threading this, and Cameron thanks for the info.