How do I optimise an animated gif?

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
Kiran

How do I optimise an animated gif?

Post by Kiran »

Howzit all,

See my avatar? I'm trying to animate it so that it will rotate about the Z axis. How would I do this in The Gimp?

Any help much appreciated.

KJ
Last edited by Kiran on 05 Nov 2006, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
What is this "Microsoft" that you speak of? Washing powder? Coffee? Correction fluid? I can't figure it out. Anyone else know?
Moses

Post by Moses »

Z-axis? You would then have to combine the rotation with some angle dependent scaling to keep the image within the size limits. Unless you just crop it. I don't use gimp, but I'm sure Z-axis rotation is a standard feature in all animation software. I know Jasc Animation Shop 2 has it.
Kiran

Post by Kiran »

**Changed the title to reflect the new problem**

Finally got it! I used Filters > Map > Map object.

Anyway, even after Gimp's built-in optimiser, The file comes to 192kb.

I rotated the pic 360 degrees in increments of 15 degrees.

Here's the file:

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9570 ... optns8.gif

It seems pretty smooth. What's the biggest degree increment that I can use while still keeping the smooth look?

Any other tips to reduce the file size?

KJ
What is this "Microsoft" that you speak of? Washing powder? Coffee? Correction fluid? I can't figure it out. Anyone else know?
LinkX

Post by LinkX »

you will never get it to 16 kb specially not with GIMP, it doesnt compress GIF file sizes properly and 23 frames with will never fit within a 16kb file size limit

i tried with imageready and got it down to 117kb
__________Image__________
Image---I'm out of my mind right now, but feel free to leave a message...---Image
Moses

Post by Moses »

lol. I thought you wanted rotation about the depth axis. My bad.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Well, I would use LOSTMARBLE'S MOHO (www.lostmarble.com) to do that, put both images in a SWITCH layer, rotate it on its axis and export it to .GIF.

I'm not gonna explain it all here. Read the tutorials. VERY easy if you know how to do it. Not easy if you don't.
Kiran

Post by Kiran »

Okay, for now let's forget trying to get it to fit this websites specifications.

Let's talk in general. You know those fast frames between the ones that last for two seconds? I'm talking about the ones that move very fast. If I drop the colour on them (coz they move so fast you won't notice) will this bring down the file size in general?
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

You could make it smaller and use animation shop. Should get it down, but will probably look crap. I can't give it a go though cos I'm not on my pc.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
LinkX

Post by LinkX »

you would notice it, it may be fast but it an oddity like that would be noticed
but if you do it in GIMP get another program to shrink it cos GIMP doesnt optimize saved GIF's properly
__________Image__________
Image---I'm out of my mind right now, but feel free to leave a message...---Image
Kiran

Post by Kiran »

:? I could only get it down to 70kb and the results were pretty... pretty nasty!!!

I think I'll leave it for now, and just use the basic animated gif. I'm actually procrastinating, need to get back to studies. Paper on Tuesday.

Ciao...

P.S. Thanks for the comments and suggestions...