Best value for money 2.1 speaker system

Any hardware related topics go here.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Best value for money 2.1 speaker system

Post by maxxis »

Hi guys

Im looking for a good 2.1 speaker system for the office.

Im looking at the Creative I-Trigue 3400.

Anything else in that price range worth looking at?
general_koffi

Post by general_koffi »

Yeah... I'd definitely have a look at the Logitech Z-4 set. More power and quality. Plus the Creative 3400 looks a bit weird, IMO. :p
Core 2 Duo E6300 @2.2Ghz
ASUS P5B
Force3D Radeon HD 4870 512MB
4GB DDR2-800 RAM
Creative X-Fi Xtremegamer
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

I ended up buying the X-230 units. Very impressed with them.

For the office they are great.

Just really bass heavy but the EQ sorted that out quick.
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

X230's are great sounding speakers. But, as you mentioned, the bass is a bit overpowering. I've got the same problem with my X530's. Nothing an EQ cant sort out though ;-)
Rikkelz

Post by Rikkelz »

I'm currently using the Creative SBS 370's, I'm very happy with them... Powerful little blighters!

I would really rather get teh Z-2300's tho... W_O_W. A friend has a set which he will probably sell soon... Hope to snap that one up!
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

At home im on a set of old school Cambridge Soundworks 4.1 speakers

Old but they still pack quite the punch.

Im really happy with the logitechs at work.

My other set at home is my 7.2 Sony Surround system. :biggrin:
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Rikkelz wrote:I'm currently using the Creative SBS 370's, I'm very happy with them... Powerful little blighters!
!
I bought a set of those for a friend earlier this year. I was amazed at the sound .....especially since they were so cheap!
kraven

Post by kraven »

maxxis wrote:At home im on a set of old school Cambridge Soundworks 4.1 speakers

Old but they still pack quite the punch.

Im really happy with the logitechs at work.

My other set at home is my 7.2 Sony Surround system. :biggrin:
Scuse me? :?: What is this 7.2 ??

I would have gone with the z-4, just as powerful as the x-230s but way more stylish. But I still think the x-230 is a great choice.
The Anime Society that\'ll influence the SA scene: http://www.genshiken.uct.ac.za
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

7 Speakers
2 Subwoofa's

That thing is INSANE. That's the only word to describe it.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

The HT system I have consists of:

1x Center Channel
2x Front Speakers
2x Rears
2x Side speakers
2x 12" subs
1x 150W RMS per channel amp

7.2 in its very nature is 7 speaker and a dedicated stereo bass channel.
kraven

Post by kraven »

OH MY F*K thats stunning!
The Anime Society that\'ll influence the SA scene: http://www.genshiken.uct.ac.za
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

im having lots of fun with it. my neighbours hate me :lol:
naughty

Post by naughty »

maxxis - care to post some pics of that setup - i've also got a sony ht - mine should be almost the same as yours - but my two 12" subs are in one box with a 1000watt rms amp to drive those - and i've got extra floorstanders for my rears

i think we should be having similar setups for home theatre

i also second your choice of those logitech x230's - stunning looks and great sound - that what speakers should be all about - BTW you could drop the bass with the independent sub control on the sub too - sounds incredible like that for a set of computer speakers

heres some pics of my stuff - sorry for crappy phonecam pics

fronts

rears

subwoofer

dvd and amp

centre speaker
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Mine are the exact same setup.

Im not using the same tower speakers at the back. Only the satellites.

Any ideas as to where I can find just one satellite speaker. Once of mine got slightly damaged and I want to replace it.
naughty

Post by naughty »

all the sony agents will stock those as single speakers or should be able to get those for you

heres a link to the sony SA webpage relating to those speakers

http://www.sony.co.za/prod.asp?DTID=1&C ... 1&PID=1148

suggested retail price = R199 dso its not too expensive to get a replacement - i know that Govan Mani in durbz can get those for you - but you can check here for stockists in your area

http://www.sony.co.za/wheretobuy/defaul ... 20Products

they also have it in black too if your setup is black - BTW those rear speakers were R1299 extra and my sub isnt stereo - its got one 12" facing sideway and then another firing downward and the entire enclosure is on a plastic platform - to give you an idea of this monster the entire thing weighs around 60kg's (sub alone) - it took two trips for me to get this system home LOL
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Must be some solid pounding going on with that monster.

Ill get to my local iexper store and see what they can do for me.

Thanks
naughty

Post by naughty »

well it should be around as loud as your pair of 12" subs ;) ...... and well the windows really buzz when i demo it - but for normal listening i've got the gain level on around 1 or 2 - and when im demoing it i cant really go above volume 5 out of 10 or some of those windows will pop out - but all my friends love the back massage they get and the feeling that the sofa is gonna open up and envelop them anytime soon

if you having a problem getting those speakers then lemme know - i could get you in touch with the guys at Govan Mani and they could maybe organize to post those to you .... if need be
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Thanks. A friend of mine knows the regional distribution manager for Sony here in Jozi.

Will see what he can organize for me.

Ill let you know.

Tx
reyals

Post by reyals »

Personally, I love my CreAtive system, plenty of punch for the pound, but check out Logitech as well,they're bloody awesome as well. If u really want to go 4 sound get yourself a nice sound card
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

I just moved my Logitech X530's.....and connected them to my wife's PC. Dusted off my old Pioneer stereo amp (105X2 RMS), hooked it up to my PC and am running a pair of Audio Solutions floor standing speakers I had laying around in my garage. After listening to my 6.1 Sony Amp in my lounge for the past 2-3 years, an old school stereo amp is like a breath of fresh air. :P The speakers (2X6" sub + 4" tweeter in each box) sound awesome and I can't stop listening to them.

For music, I still maintain that these new school HT amps cant shake a stick at a good old school stereo amp!
naughty

Post by naughty »

For music, I still maintain that these new school HT amps cant shake a stick at a good old school stereo amp!
agreed - i have one of those too - but that one sounds way better than my HT setup primarily because of the equipment im matching it with - speaker cables cost R7k and rca interconnects cost around R1.5k for the set plus im using old school mission floorstanders with those

though the cables in my HT system are not standard either - but the HT setup is only about 60% in respect to sound quality if i regard my hi-fi as 100%
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

The cables I'm running are just standard cables.....My system costs less than your cabling and RCA's! :oops:

You sound like a true audiophile! :thumbsup:
naughty

Post by naughty »

You sound like a true audiophile!
well i do try to make my system perform at its best

floor standing speakers which are on spikes to decouple those from the floor and a fully carpeted room - and the amp and cd player are lying on top of a paving slab and have their own spiked platforms also for decoupling

also proper cabling and connectors - i must have tried around 20 different sets of cables and maybe gone through around 10 sets of speakers before i settled for the pair i got now

the thing is though it isn't all the fancy equipment that makes you into a true audiophile - its actually a love and enjoyment of the music you listen to - so no matter how cheap your equipment may be i consider any person who listens to and enjoys their music to really be a true audiophile
:wink:

making do with what you have is a part of the compromise in seeking perfection in your sound - but sometimes even the best equipment doesn't mean you enjoy what you are listening to so - and to me its the music thats the most important part of the equation
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

floor standing speakers which are on spikes to decouple those from the floor and a fully carpeted room - and the amp and cd player are lying on top of a paving slab and have their own spiked platforms also for decoupling
Please explain the function of this to me?

Im a total noob with this :D
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

naughty wrote: the thing is though it isn't all the fancy equipment that makes you into a true audiophile - its actually a love and enjoyment of the music you listen to - so no matter how cheap your equipment may be i consider any person who listens to and enjoys their music to really be a true audiophile
:wink:
True......very true. Means a lot coming from a guy with such expensive equipment. :-)

Maxxis --> I was gonna ask the same thing.