Is Spay Paint Conductive?

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
Abatis

Is Spay Paint Conductive?

Post by Abatis »

is spray conductive? i was wondering because if it isn't what would keep you (exept common sense) from spraying your expansion cards or your mobo?
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: Is Spay Paint Conductive?

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Abatis wrote:is spray conductive? i was wondering because if it isn't what would keep you (exept common sense) from spraying your expansion cards or your mobo?
Why would you WANT to?
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Its conductive when its wet. And how are you to fit a expansion card if the slots are clogged with paint?
Abatis

Post by Abatis »

i have an (very)old pc that i want to do a camo pattern on, it might sound like a stupid idea, but i'm curious if it would work
Samaya wrote:And how are you to fit a expansion card if the slots are clogged with paint?
tape off the connectors?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

No dude. Sounds like a bad idea to me. Why not just make a motherboard cover or something and you can do your camo pattern on that?
Ike

Post by Ike »

Abatis wrote:i have an (very)old pc that i want to do a camo pattern on, it might sound like a stupid idea, but i'm curious if it would work
Samaya wrote:And how are you to fit a expansion card if the slots are clogged with paint?
tape off the connectors?
The heat will build up under the paint, and 1st. the paint will chipp away
2nd.the transistors will blow under the layer of "inssulate"
Spin

Post by Spin »

Abatis, once again I revert to state that it is your PC and you may do with it what you want.

But, mate, paint and electronics is like marmite and waffles... a no to all that is logical in this world.
Abatis

Post by Abatis »

yeah i'm still just planning this, m/b cover would probably work best, but i'm just still curious, "could" it work :D

edit:
Ike wrote:The heat will build up under the paint, and 1st. the paint will chipp away
2nd.the transistors will blow under the layer of "inssulate"
cool, thanks
Spin wrote:But, mate, paint and electronics is like marmite and waffles... a no to all that is logical in this world.
lol, you have a interesting way with words :D
Last edited by Abatis on 10 Aug 2006, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

Abatis wrote:is spray conductive? i was wondering because if it isn't what would keep you (exept common sense) from spraying your expansion cards or your mobo?
Well easy way to test - remove the battery from your cellphone, which also uses those little copper contacts points, and spraypaint over all the copper points. Then put it back and see what happens :P
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

In my opinion, a motherboard cover would look better aswell, so that's what i suggest you do.
Abatis

Post by Abatis »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:In my opinion, a motherboard cover would look better aswell, so that's what i suggest you do.
i think it would work better myself, i'm gonna create a camo, military looking thing, the plate might help it look more, "industrial"
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Abatis wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:In my opinion, a motherboard cover would look better aswell, so that's what i suggest you do.
i think it would work better myself, i'm gonna create a camo, military looking thing, the plate might help it look more, "industrial"
Yeah. You could add all sorts of metal accents and scratch the cover and all. Would be very cool :D
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Take a old pc and try the paint, if it works you'll know. I guess it would be safe if you work in lots of light layers.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Abatis wrote:
That's Exactly the problem. You're not making an Industrial Mod. You're making a cammo mod. So a cammo net would work even better over the mobo. Just make sure there's enough airflow.

As for spraying the Mobo: Why the hell not. Especially if it's an old mobo.

I think it would look really cool, as long as your heatsyncs are clear, because the heat could be an issue, since most paints do have some heat resistant properties. The other components don't generate that much heat, and the caps have a thick plastic wrapper around it, so a layer or 2 of paint won't make it overheat.

Your best bet would be to test on a board that you don't care for.
If it's not your main (no pun intended) board, then why not test and see if it works.
Abatis

Post by Abatis »

thnx but i don't think i'll try it was just curious.
me likes the camo netting idea :idea:
i'll keep you guys updated, still lots of planning (and saving) ahead :D
Last edited by Abatis on 10 Aug 2006, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
Anthropoid21

Post by Anthropoid21 »

What you must definitely do..
If it works.. take a piccie...
If it does not work, take another piccie, go stand in the corner with a hat on our head saying DUNCE
Good luck though,
And yeah, paint is only conductive when wet - however you might have some additives that will be conductive
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

I don’t think that’s a good idea. Some electronic parts need to “breath”, and be open to get rid of heat and all that jazz. Spray paint can be corrosive to some surfaces. (Ever sprayed polyethelene with spray paints??? Eats it away very quick. ). Only do it if you can take the risk and stuff up the card. But I think it will stuff it up anyhow , in the long run or short.

Your best bet is to just check if the paint has metallic properties, or find out if there is a special paint one can get.

Good luck!!

Hope it works!!
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

if u want to do something to your mobo, check this out - might interest you.

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/28304-how ... ow-uv.html
reyals

Post by reyals »

i did it, but just 4 fun, havent actually tries 2 make it work, but my logic tells me it would work, just remember that ur caps and stuff gets hot and would make the paint peel. that and theres always the chance that the paint might be corosive...