Watercooling tips/suggestions required

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
Kenjutsu

Watercooling tips/suggestions required

Post by Kenjutsu »

Hello everyone!

I want to get my "feet wet" with watercooling :) Here is the specs of my PC:
  • Intel P4 530 CPU 3.00GHz OC 3.6-3.8
    Asus P5AD2-E Premium
    Antec P180
I was in contact with Arthur from Synapsys and he gave me a quote on the following components:
  • CPU Cooler Antarctica DYO - CPU01/AT 10mm (Socket T only)
    Chipset Cooler DYO - NB01/P2 10mm
    CoolWave Power Radiator - Dual 120mm
    CoolWave 12V DC Pump - 1.8m Head, 12W
    CoolWave Acrylic Reservoir - 200ml
    Asetek WaterChill 10mm OD Tube (x2)
    Coollaboratory Liquid Pro
I am not looking at VGA cooling at this stage.

Regarding the 120mm fans, which ones should I consider?

Comments/suggestions appreciate

TIA
Perception is strong and sight weak. In strategy it is important to see distant things as if they were close and to take a distanced view of close things. - Miyamoto Musashi
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Antec TriCool fans are really good, but they're about R150 a piece...

Also, why not go for a triple 120mm radiator?
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Kenjutsu

Post by Kenjutsu »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Antec TriCool fans are really good, but they're about R150 a piece...

Also, why not go for a triple 120mm radiator?
I like the Antec TriCools. Bought 2 for my Antec P180 :D

Will a triple 120mm radiator make a big difference over the dual?
Perception is strong and sight weak. In strategy it is important to see distant things as if they were close and to take a distanced view of close things. - Miyamoto Musashi
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

You could try two single rads and link them together. They would fit the P180 perfectly...one at the back and one at the top...no cutting required. Just a thought. :)
Kenjutsu

Post by Kenjutsu »

Bobendren wrote:You could try two single rads and link them together. They would fit the P180 perfectly...one at the back and one at the top...no cutting required. Just a thought. :)
Yes, I do not want to cut my P180 8O My idea was to place the rads outside the case without mounting them onto the P180. I like the way the Switech rads are fitted to the case with the radbox, but it looks to me as if even a dual rad would barely "fit", while still allowing access to the VGA port and PCI connectors
Kenjutsu

Post by Kenjutsu »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Antec TriCool fans are really good, but they're about R150 a piece...
I saw in the September issue of Custom PC SA that they tested the Zalman ZM-F3 and found that at 900rpm it produced 36cfm @ 20.6dBA, and at 1800rpm it produced 87cfm @ 37.3 dBA which "is too noisy for comfort". They did, however, award it the "Best 120mm variable-speed fan"

The Antec TriCool: 16cmf @ 1200rpm @ 201.dBA, 55cfm @ 1600rpm @ 32dBA and 101cfm @ 2000rpm @ 43.2dBA and "while at medium and high speeds, it produces irritating levels of noise"

I must admit that since my TriCools are inside the P180 case, I don't find them too irritating, but seeing that I will mount 2 (maybe 3 if I go for a triple 120mm radiator) outside the case, that could be a problem.

The ZM-F3 also costs about R100 compared to the cheapest TriCool of about R130. I like the fact that the TriCool has a little switch to select between the three speeds, whereas the Zalman has a resistor cable.

How much different will the 37dBA of the Zalman be compared to the 43dBA of the Antec?

Thanx!
Syndicate

Post by Syndicate »

Your best bet to control a fan properly is to use a munual fan controler, eg the ones with the knobies that you turn yourself.

I'm running 5 x 120mm fans and a 80mm fan on my water cooled PC, and its dead silent, just ask DAE and Wik1d.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, Carl's Case is very very quiet.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Kenjutsu

Post by Kenjutsu »

How important is a control unit like the Asetek Control Unit DYO - CTU01 incl SafeStart and NoiseControl? Is it a nice to have, or a need to have?
Syndicate

Post by Syndicate »

The Asetek Control Unit DYO - CTU01 is a pump controler, your not going to need one if you are running the coolwave pump, as the coolwave pump is a 12V pump. Also go for the bigger coolwave pump, as it's easier to get barbs for it.
Kenjutsu

Post by Kenjutsu »

Now that the Swiftech H20-220 APEX ULTRA and H20-220 APEX ULTRA+ are available in South Africa, how would these kits compare to my original list? According to David from Global Parts, only the complete Swiftech kits will be sold, not the components seperately :(
kraven

Post by kraven »

umm, if im not mistaken, they review the + in this months custom PC...
The Anime Society that\'ll influence the SA scene: http://www.genshiken.uct.ac.za