3d animation

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
Survivor

3d animation

Post by Survivor »

when it comes to 3d animation what programs are most used and which would u say are the best in the industry.

I mean, im doing 3dsmax 6 at the moment. But was wondering..in the industry, which programs are most used. I was told by some people that 3dsmax is reaching the end of the line...is that true? If so, what programs will take over?

Tx
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Re: 3d animation

Post by wizardofid »

Survivor wrote:when it comes to 3d animation what programs are most used and which would u say are the best in the industry.

I mean, im doing 3dsmax 6 at the moment. But was wondering..in the industry, which programs are most used. I was told by some people that 3dsmax is reaching the end of the line...is that true? If so, what programs will take over?

Tx
3d max end of the line I think not. 8O Best "feature" rich uncluttered tool is lightray for me at the moment?
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
capanno

Post by capanno »

5 years ago, max and maya definitely.

These days there are loads of packages available.

I personally use Animation Master 2006 www.hash.com
but I think about getting Softimage XSI or Lightwave, which are more advanced.

I would say the top ones are

max, maya, xsi and lightwave.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
Survivor

Post by Survivor »

shot buddy. Thats what i needed to know. I think im gonna start looking into maya. Anyways, tx a mil.
capanno

Post by capanno »

If you already own max 6, then theres no reason to get maya. max is still up there in the top 5.
Survivor

Post by Survivor »

capanno, say now i were to go look for a job at a 3d studio.

Isnt one required to know as many programs as possible?

I mean, will max6 be good enough to get employed (if u know ur sh*t)?

plz give me some feedback on this
capanno

Post by capanno »

Of course if you want to get employed as a 3d artist then it will help know as many 3d apps as possible. Mostly they will require you to know '1 high end 3d app', but I guess this varies from job to job. This info is only based on what I have read here and there, so it will be better if you ask a company what they require. :)
Survivor

Post by Survivor »

thanks man
Law

Post by Law »

could you make me a killer ball that i could use in irrlicht?

:D

MAY THE CHEESE BE WITH YOU!
{PK} Law
Kiran

Post by Kiran »

What? No Blender3D? 8)
What is this "Microsoft" that you speak of? Washing powder? Coffee? Correction fluid? I can't figure it out. Anyone else know?
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Survivor, it also depends on what kind of 3d work you want to do? If for games, I believe 3dMax, Blender and Maya are well suited for that. For movies, apparently Lightwave although 3dmax and Maya are sometimes used for that as well.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Oj

Post by Oj »

I use Ray Dream Studio 5.5 (I believe it's now called Carrara or sumting), as it's the easliest to use (IMHO). I also use 3ds 4.2. I need an upgrade, but it's expensive
<b>Proud Knight of the Round Table</b>
Survivor

Post by Survivor »

ok, then its cool
U see, im starting my studies on 3dsmax soon...basically only went thru an itro. Well, i was told by someone that 3dsmax has basically reached the end of the line, and just wanted to clarify some things...

Thanks guys.

By the way, for example..im doing 3dsmax at college. And i think we will be doing some program called director or something. Well, what i wanted to know was, where would I be able to go study other 3d programs?

Shot!
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but I guess since it's still on the first page of the graphics forum it should be fine...
OnlyOneKenobi wrote:Survivor, it also depends on what kind of 3d work you want to do? If for games, I believe 3dMax, Blender and Maya are well suited for that. For movies, apparently Lightwave although 3dmax and Maya are sometimes used for that as well.
Hehe LightWave is barely used in the industry these days. Gone are the days when its raytracer was considered advanced - now it's just a slow, buggy, rigid piece of software that's fallen out of favour with the industry at large. You'll find it in some smaller commercial shops, but you'll be hard-pressed to find it in heavy use in the film industry. Maya is the main package used in the film industry, along with proprietary software (developed and used by most mid to large sized shops). XSI is also gaining popularity in the film industry.

Max, Maya and XSI are all commonly used in the game industry.
human slave in an insect nation
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

@leigh

how does amorphium rate then?.. (probably the only app i've ever picked up and been able to use effectively... as a novice...).

and... welcome back :wink:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
capanno

Post by capanno »

Leigh, whats your thoughts on modo201 and 202? Do you have experience with it? Its such an attractive package...
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

rustypup wrote:@leigh

how does amorphium rate then?.. (probably the only app i've ever picked up and been able to use effectively... as a novice...).

and... welcome back :wink:
Heya :) I never actually used Amorphium myself, but if I remember correctly it was a modeling package, right? I haven't really heard it mentioned in years, to be honest...
capanno wrote:Leigh, whats your thoughts on modo201 and 202? Do you have experience with it? Its such an attractive package...
Modo is very nice. It's basically the new incarnation of LightWave - it's developed by Lightwaves original development team, who left NewTek when NewTek wouldn't allow them to take Lightwave in a new direction. The modeler, in particular, is really nice. The new rendering module looks pretty impressive too, but I haven't had time to properly check it out yet.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

I have started learning to use Blender, the first 3d modelling I've ever done, so I'm a newbie. :oops: I have managed to model my face.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Leigh wrote:if I remember correctly it was a modeling package, right?
yup... very much like moulding plasticene, you start with a "lump", which can be pushed, prodded and stretched into whatever shape you're after... (used in one of the austin powers movies, IIRC)...

ahh. well...

<determines to get to grips with gmax after all...>.. :cry:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

rustypup wrote:
Leigh wrote:if I remember correctly it was a modeling package, right?
yup... very much like moulding plasticene, you start with a "lump", which can be pushed, prodded and stretched into whatever shape you're after... (used in one of the austin powers movies, IIRC)...

ahh. well...

<determines to get to grips with gmax after all...>.. :cry:
That's right yeah, the plasticine one. The problem with software like that is that it doesn't really create good topology, which makes the models hard (if not impossible) to rig and animate. ZBrush models often suffer from this problem as well. That's why it's always best to model in a more "conventional" package :)
Afflict

Post by Afflict »

I also downloaded blender and I am very keen on donating some time to it soon.