7900GTX - death by video card?

Any hardware related topics go here.
Belix

7900GTX - death by video card?

Post by Belix »

Hi Folks
I'd be interested to hear from everyone here that has nvidia 7900GTX cards. Someone posted a topic about them being very likely to die after a few weeks hard work. At the time I thought it must be a small minority...surely.

I now have a pair of XFX 7900GTX extremes which run at 50MHz over standard core and 100MHz up on the ram (from the manufacturer). A few days ago I got the first textures popping out - picure Lara Craft with a long spear through her calf and you get the idea. Last night the colours started going off too. I'll post some screen shots if anyone is interested.

From the various posts I've read, it seems thing only go south from here, and swapping out cards does not seem to help things for long. While some website state the problem lies only with certain manufacturers that overclock the cards, users that have RMAed their cards are still having issues. Even downclocking the cards to the nvidia default does not seem to help things for long.

Does all XFX stuff come from Axis in SA? Would they swap out the cards...for what it's worth? Or should I try get XFX themselves to sort it out?

Lastly, does 7900GTX sli use alternate frame or split frame rendering?

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
LordRage

Post by LordRage »

cant answer everything.. but MrBean had to return one of his cards, cos it was revision 1.3, the new one is1.4, and the old one had probs with voltage regulators and something else.. get them swapped for the new revision..
Law

Post by Law »

1337 posts LR :p

MAY THE CHEESE BE WITH YOU!
{PK} Law
kraven

Re: 7900GTX - death by video card?

Post by kraven »

Belix wrote:
From the various posts I've read, it seems thing only go south from here, and swapping out cards does not seem to help things for long.

Its what usually happens once you reach the top... Im just a hater...
Belix

Post by Belix »

@ Kraven. Not much use if they don't function...

How do you find out which revision a each card is? I can the bios version of one from the display properties - 5.71.22.12.13 - but nothing more than that...

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

If the card is still under warrenty Axiz will swop it out. Be prepared to wait 3 weeks though. They are very slow on warrenty swop outs. I've had a few fights with them in the past. Your best bet would be to drive to their premises and speak to them in person.
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

belix if you visit http://www.hardocp.com/ and search there website you will find the article on your problm there.

if it were me i would return the cards, with a link to said article and ask them to get you a new set...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Belix

Post by Belix »

I'm just wondering whether a new set will be any different :? I have not found any reference to anything specific to avoid.

Would a new revision be any different? As I said, I can't even work out the current cards' revisions...

While the non-overclocked cards do seem less suseptible to the problems, a fair number of people still seem to have the same issues with them. It's all rather frustrating. At the moment I've dripped my clock speeds to the nvidia 'standard', but I still have the issues...although they don't seem to be getting any worse now. To echo the multitude of other complaining users, what't the point in paying extra for factory overclocked cards if they can't handle it.

I mean the most basic thing it should handle is repeated 3Dmark test without destroying the card or locking up hard...

On an aside, I note that most review sites still use a 7800GTX to test stuff, I gather because the 7900GTX can't get through a 3D test without dying...

LordRage

Post by LordRage »

http://www.systemshock.co.za/forums/ind ... 6021&st=20

here u see MrBean talks about the vreg's have a diff layout etc.. my guess is your revision is 1.3, as your last 2 numbers are 13.. PM MrBean and ask him. he is VERY helpful.. If I see him on MSN today, I will send him here. He is in Australia, and therefore 8 hours ahead, but if anyone knows, I bet he does!!

I emailed him, and asked him to come look...
ColonelDebugger

Post by ColonelDebugger »

Does anyone know if the 7950 GX2, which is essentially two GTX's slapped together and down-clocked, has the same problem?
Maplassie_GTR

Re: 7900GTX - death by video card?

Post by Maplassie_GTR »

Belix wrote:Hi Folks
I'd be interested to hear from everyone here that has nvidia 7900GTX cards. Someone posted a topic about them being very likely to die after a few weeks hard work. At the time I thought it must be a small minority...surely.

I now have a pair of XFX 7900GTX extremes which run at 50MHz over standard core and 100MHz up on the ram (from the manufacturer). A few days ago I got the first textures popping out - picure Lara Craft with a long spear through her calf and you get the idea. Last night the colours started going off too. I'll post some screen shots if anyone is interested.

From the various posts I've read, it seems thing only go south from here, and swapping out cards does not seem to help things for long. While some website state the problem lies only with certain manufacturers that overclock the cards, users that have RMAed their cards are still having issues. Even downclocking the cards to the nvidia default does not seem to help things for long.

Does all XFX stuff come from Axis in SA? Would they swap out the cards...for what it's worth? Or should I try get XFX themselves to sort it out?

Lastly, does 7900GTX sli use alternate frame or split frame rendering?

Dude, I have 7 friends with xfx 7900 GTX cards. 7. 6 of them returned the cards within 2 months of purchase, cauase of pixel tearing, or the cards just dying.
Maplassie_GTR

Post by Maplassie_GTR »

ColonelDebugger wrote:Does anyone know if the 7950 GX2, which is essentially two GTX's slapped together and down-clocked, has the same problem?

I don't think that many ppl have owned the card long enough to experience those kinda problems.

I am getting a Gigabyte 7950 GX2 a month from now. WOnt go the XFX route.
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

Hello Belix,
I have 2x XFX 7900GTX Extremes. Their version number is on the outside of the box, a 4x5cm white label with barcode, etc, including version number...

Your's should have it too. Look on the box.

I have a feeling that the newer ones have better vreg circuitry, beefier - but this is unconfirmed, I need to study this case a little.

Your best bet would be to immediately exchange the card that's artifacting, it is going to fail. The reason - well, plain and simple.....

These cards are simply overclocked to high by XFX, eVGA and to a lesser extent, BFG.

I ran detect optimal settings on mine, it gives me only 1mhz more on gpu, 8 on mem, which tells me these cards are running clocked to high at default.

At least on aircooling. Water will be a different story.

In IGI my one card was artifacting very slightly at stock 690/875 speeds, so I tuned it down to 660/855 speeds, for now.

Once my watercooling is sorted for this rig, I will reset clocks back to defaults.

But, replace your card immediately, it's going to fail. To long running at these elevated speeds, and temps, I believe cause premature death.

Just my opinion.

The deathrate for std 7900GTX's are within acceptable limits compared to previous generations....
Belix

Post by Belix »

Hi Mr Bean. Thanks for your feedback, and thanks to LordRage :D

1 - I have long since tossed the boxes away. Will I be able to swap the cards out? Is there another way to find the revision number.

2 - Should I ask for Standard 7900GTX cards as replacement? Axis supplies Asus 7900GTX cards too, should I consider swapping for those and tough luck on the overclocked editions?

3 - I've had texture tearing from the first second I ran a 3D app - Quake 4. I thought it was an issue with quake 4...

4 - I've only just started getting the polygon pops and the latest thing is the weird colours...

5 - Should the cards be able to run an app non-stop? For example I recon I should be able to run 3Dmark06 hour after hour wihtout any issues provided the cards are within temp range. Simply put, if anything goes wrong, the card is not running as it should. I managed to get one complete 3dmark06. Every and all subsequent runs lead to wild colours, and normally a hard lockup.

6 - What the best way of testing which (assuming only one card is faulty) which of the two cards is faulty. I was thining of finding a app that uses split frame rendering and seeing if the wild colours only affect the top or bootom of the screen. I suppose disabling SLI and using each individually in 3Dmark would be the best bet. Still, I'm pretty sure if one card fails of the two, the other is not far behind...

7 - the cards do seem to have some headroom. When I tried optimal settings, each value went up substantially, but there was plenty of artifacting on the desktop. It was only an experinment anyway. I gather you cannot clock the cards individually?

8 - The cards were purchased through a third party. Can I take them straight back to Axis myself or does the shop have to do that?

My main problem has been to provide definate proof to Axis that the cards are faulty. They seem as obstinate as XFX that everything is fine.

LordRage

Post by LordRage »

About Axiz, I think they might need you to take it to 3rd party, unless you have a dealership with them. Or the shop gives you permission. That would be my guess anyway, with my experience distributors.

You dont need boxes to get cards RMA'd, they will just use the box that your new card is in, to send it back to manufacturer (at least Rectron do that)

No need to show proof to Axiz, if they are artifacting, then they are obliged to take them back and swap them out. If need be, they might have to keep it on test for 24 hours (I dont deal with them , so I dont know their policy) - I know rectron tests their and then, and swap it out no questions, if slightest thing wrong, thats why I love Rectron, and dont use many other distributors. If the cards are artifacting, or misbehaving, take it back, and speak to manager, and tell them to TEST THE F***ING CARDS, NOW!!! while you are there!!! dont take crap, if they give you crappy service, then you should take it back to your 3rd party reseller, and MAKE THEM DO IT.. its service after all!!

Soz I cant answer technical issues, cos I dont have that card :(
LordRage

Post by LordRage »

oh yeah, if they give you grief, then get one of the guys from here or systemshock, like Syndicate/trapnal/SETH etc to contact AXIZ, maybe a high volume dealer can help you?? but then maybe they might need incentive, cos you didnt buy from them.. just a thought if you dont get any luck...
Belix

Post by Belix »

Belix wrote:Hi Mr Bean. Thanks for your feedback, and thanks to LordRage :D

1 - I have long since tossed the boxes away. Will I be able to swap the cards out? Is there another way to find the revision number.

2 - Should I ask for Standard 7900GTX cards as replacement? Axis supplies Asus 7900GTX cards too, should I consider swapping for those and tough luck on the overclocked editions?

3 - I've had texture tearing from the first second I ran a 3D app - Quake 4. I thought it was an issue with quake 4...

4 - I've only just started getting the polygon pops and the latest thing is the weird colours...

5 - Should the cards be able to run an app non-stop? For example I recon I should be able to run 3Dmark06 hour after hour wihtout any issues provided the cards are within temp range. Simply put, if anything goes wrong, the card is not running as it should. I managed to get one complete 3dmark06. Every and all subsequent runs lead to wild colours, and normally a hard lockup.

6 - What the best way of testing which (assuming only one card is faulty) which of the two cards is faulty. I was thining of finding a app that uses split frame rendering and seeing if the wild colours only affect the top or bootom of the screen. I suppose disabling SLI and using each individually in 3Dmark would be the best bet. Still, I'm pretty sure if one card fails of the two, the other is not far behind...

7 - the cards do seem to have some headroom. When I tried optimal settings, each value went up substantially, but there was plenty of artifacting on the desktop. It was only an experinment anyway. I gather you cannot clock the cards individually?

8 - The cards were purchased through a third party. Can I take them straight back to Axis myself or does the shop have to do that?

My main problem has been to provide definate proof to Axis that the cards are faulty. They seem as obstinate as XFX that everything is fine.
Just to bump my questions to this page...

@ Lordrage
Well the shop, PC Int. says to take it to them direct. I think I'm gonna set them to their stock factory overclocked speed again and run 3Dmark until they can't stand up anymore. Then I'll tak them back to Axis. Not having a PC to use for a few days will be annoying but hopefully at the end I end up with two solid cards...if such items exist.

LordRage

Post by LordRage »

k goodluck :)
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

You will need the Axiz invoice on which they were purchased so make sure to get it from the shop.
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Belix wrote: Not having a PC to use for a few days will be annoying but hopefully at the end I end up with two solid cards...if such items exist.
you wont see your wife complaining :wink: :lol:

wish you all the best...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
LordRage

Post by LordRage »

Y0da wrote:You will need the Axiz invoice on which they were purchased so make sure to get it from the shop.
Another reason to just buy from Rectron.. you dont need invoices :) Just take the product, and they scan the barcode..
Arch

Cards

Post by Arch »

Belix - Get PC Int to return the cards to Axiz.

If you don't have a dealer account with them they will want proof of purchase ie: the original invoices.

Anyway you bought the cards from PC int they are responsible and must resolve the issue.

If done throught the proper channel then Axiz will happily replace them with no problem.

Cheers
Belix

Post by Belix »

some wonderful screenshots:

if 3dMark 06 uses alternate frame rendering then the one card may be fine. I managed to catch a perfect frame once in a while...

Max225

Post by Max225 »

LordRage wrote:Another reason to just buy from Rectron.. you dont need invoices :) Just take the product, and they scan the barcode..
Axiz also scanes the barcodes, u just need the invoice if u are not a dealer, I think........correct me if I am wrong
Belix

Post by Belix »

talk about being pedantic. If they can verify that they sold the item by scanning the barcode, why do they need a dealer invoice?? Anyhow, I've gotta figure out whcih card is a dud, then find the serial number, then track down the correct dealer invoice (each card comes via a different supplier, but through axis at the end)