PC Format or FHM ?

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Well Tamsini
Hangover on a Friday morning, I think that's great! You guys are brightening up the festive season already! Cape Town is looking forward to all the Gautengers coming down to party!
You have agood day now! :lol: :)

Pleased this tread is sorted.
Madgic

Post by Madgic »

:roll: It's just as well I don't come to this site during the day otherwise I would have joined the Anti Babes in PCFormat campaign.

You know, when I heard that PCF and .net (as it was called at the time) were both going to have female editors, I thought. "Hooray, one up for the ladies!" I expected to find a more relevant approach to the fact that females are quite capable of using computers and, damn, we actually have brains and aren't only there for decoration purposes. But alas, no, I was slammed into the ground with the usual crap about selling, publishing and the whole gamut of the usual old arguements.

Tamsini, don't turn the glass ceiling into bomb/shatterproof glass by carrying on reinforcing the old tradition that female flesh sells mags or does anything for the betterment of the fairer sex.

I will now go into my soundproof studio and scream . . . quietly.
When life kicks you in the guts, you better be ready . . . or go to gym and build up your 6-pack!
skunkymunky
Permanently Banned

Post by skunkymunky »

poor advertising strategy by HP obviously they didn't think this thru
i was looking at the girls more than the printers and stuff
one picture i didn't see wat the where advertising, oh then i realised she's got her foot on top of the printer.

but fine pictures they were, there girls i mean :D
Fool people into thinking youve got a horse by taking off a unicorns horn
Fishzn

Post by Fishzn »

skunkymunky wrote: one picture i didn't see wat the where advertising, oh then i realised she's got her foot on top of the printer.
Lol, same thing happened here! :D Anyway, bb_matt was uniniated to the actual situation and can actually be considered as a normal unbiased reader because he was unaware of the 8 Extra pages!

What does this mean? Well if he didn't know then we can use him to symbolise the masses that are reading PCF, if somebody with his intelligence didn't get the 8 page thing then who the F*** else is gonna get it! Use his opinion wiself Tamsini and crew, cos it is quite relevant. Most PCF buyers really wouldn't wanna concern themselves with the women otherwise they would buy FHM! So when using marketing strategies such as this one, tell people whats the trade-off and benefits clearly! We don't the readership of our precious mag decreasing for a trivial reason like this!

I myself loved the gals :wink: Oh and the HP stuff was great too!
(Yeah right, i'd probably be able to buy a gal and the printer if it isn't HP :lol: )
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

I went and bought the mag after all that :)

:wink:
SadistiK

Post by SadistiK »

Ok Ii know this has been sorted.

But one thing I don't understand

Why are you COMPLAING about 8 EXTRA (note extra) "extra

\Ex"tra\, n. 1. Something in addition to what is due, expected, or customary; esp., an added charge or fee, or something for which an additional charge is made.
" (Ref http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=extra)

pages of the magazine? I mean come on bb_matt you could have had the some old PCF issue without those 8 EXTRA pages.

You know in afr there is a nice saying for this. It reads:

Moenie 'n gegewe perd in die bek kyk nie.

sheesh
Madgic

Post by Madgic »

:lol: Just a thought :lol:

Can you just imagine what would happen if a mag like, for example, Garden & Home, put semi-nekkid males in sexy thongs in an "8 page extra"?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How relevant would that be? :wink:
When life kicks you in the guts, you better be ready . . . or go to gym and build up your 6-pack!
Dom

Post by Dom »

Sheesh bb_matt, I don't know why the "8 page swimsuit" thing seems to offend you so much! :roll: I actually think PCF are just trying to be refreshingly different here! :P

I didn't have a problem with this whole thing... Besides, imho, if PCF kept with the "status quo" that most other computing mags follow, with regards to overall layout, then it wouldn't be quite as interesting! Sure it would still have the great articles and stuff, but it would be with a bland, uninspiring design. I like PCF the way it is! :D
Hill

Post by Hill »

In reply to most the negative posts (Magic's included.)

I for one do not see what all the fuss is about.

Lets say Home and Garden included 8 extra pages of semi naked males. If I was a avid gardner (I definately don't have a green finger.) and were a regular reader of H and G. Being male this would not bother me in the least. I would just skim over the pages for any relevant info, then happily move on to some other area of the mag that does catch my interest.

My point here is that we cannot expect any magazine to please everyone all of the time. There will always be parts of the mag that we as individuals will disagree with. In these cases we need to just accept it and move on.

Morally I do not see anything wrong with having models appearing in an advertisment. Obviously these pages were purchased by HP. Our good mag needs to make money from advertising to survive.

I am not a serious gamer and only read the gaming section as a last resort when I am really bored, but I still buy the mag regularly because I find the rest of the content valuable.
Regards
Hill
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

F#cken A to that Hill the last thing I actually went to in the mag was those 8 pages (Not that I didn't appreciate it, or glanced at it like any common male homosapien would). I read the articles and then said boy now for some relaxation. :lol: :twisted: :lol:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Lance

Post by Lance »

concerning the naked chicks

- you guys should hope its not your sister or mother or even a close relative thats modelling. when things hit home then we start to realise the seriousness of things like nudity? besides how would you feel knowing a family member is being lusted over by your friends? :lol:

so my opinion is - lets respect each other especially the ladies...
Dr_Jung

Post by Dr_Jung »

Hey Lance, welcome to PCForums!
Do you have any sisters?

Trust me! I am a Doctor.
SnowMonkey

Post by SnowMonkey »

I read the first few lines of this topic and I ain't reading any further.

You make me sick! Find yourself a hobby and stop complaining.
Jeez! :evil:

P.S. -> Shut up!
Supplier of Smart-IT Business Management & Accounting solutions

Smart-IT

Point of Sale/ Ledger/ Customers/ Suppliers/ Workshop/ Stock/ Purchases/ Quote/ HR
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

quote :"...seriousness of things like nudity..."

Yes,we should all take a leaf from this mans book! Damn it people! Our society as a whole has become to liberal! Lets get some clothes on, women need full covering, bin-laden style, in case we forget the "seriousness" of something like a, eyelash showing. It is a well known fact that the ear lobes of women have driven men to insanity...

Dude! What are you on about? What is wrong with nudity? (not that the women in the mag were nude in the first place). The body that god gave us is a beautifull thing, why not celebrate it?

Respect? Dude, she's in a magazine, respect to her for being good looking enough to make it.
MonicanSpy

Post by MonicanSpy »

Madgic wrote::roll: It's just as well I don't come to this site during the day otherwise I would have joined the Anti Babes in PCFormat campaign.

You know, when I heard that PCF and .net (as it was called at the time) were both going to have female editors, I thought. "Hooray, one up for the ladies!" I expected to find a more relevant approach to the fact that females are quite capable of using computers and, damn, we actually have brains and aren't only there for decoration purposes. But alas, no, I was slammed into the ground with the usual crap about selling, publishing and the whole gamut of the usual old arguements.

Tamsini, don't turn the glass ceiling into bomb/shatterproof glass by carrying on reinforcing the old tradition that female flesh sells mags or does anything for the betterment of the fairer sex.

I will now go into my soundproof studio and scream . . . quietly.
Go Madgic go! :D

I agree with Madgic, girls are also intelligent beings and need to be treated like that...not like some form of propoganda used to boost pc mag sales. I have seen mags just as successful as PCF...with game characters on the front cover...males! 8O

So, in short...the extra 8 pages could have been used more for articles and reviews.

I like the idea...but it is a PC mag. I will buy FHM and Sports Illustrated for babes...but if I buy a PC mag I want pc content...

So what...they are holding HP products... :roll:

*leaves forum for a while knowing there will be outrage with my honest opinions...*
butterfly

Post by butterfly »

HappySimmer wrote:So what...they are holding HP products... :roll:
And wearing HP swimwear ;)
I am who I am :D
MonicanSpy

Post by MonicanSpy »

butterfly wrote:And wearing HP swimwear ;)
Really? Now that makes a big difference! :D

:roll:

:P
Fishzn

Post by Fishzn »

Yay, ppl fighting over something so trivial :D

We can't change it, so lets just carry right on! I don't think that tamsini would do this very soon looking at the outrage here, so lets close this up and wait till next year until the next holiday edition, where it might just feature, and then we can blow it outta proportion!

btw none of us pay the bills at PCF, oh wait we do :lol:

Lets buy FHM and then go to their forums and complain about the PC's in their MAG's :lol: :lol: :lol:
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ICE-VaPa

Post by ICE-VaPa »

Fishzn wrote:Yay, ppl fighting over something so trivial :D

We can't change it, so lets just carry right on! I don't think that tamsini would do this very soon looking at the outrage here, so lets close this up and wait till next year until the next holiday edition, where it might just feature, and then we can blow it outta proportion!

btw none of us pay the bills at PCF, oh wait we do :lol:

Lets buy FHM and then go to their forums and complain about the PC's in their MAG's :lol: :lol: :lol:
Have to agree there...

Whas done is done, lets move on in a happy manner and forget this even happened! :P

(my 2c)
Tamsini

Post by Tamsini »

Ok I know that the last post was made quite a while ago but I feel obliged to respond.

Madgic - do you honestly feel that having six pages of women in bikini's with hardware is that terrible? Where on earth do you get the hype and drama about me immediately shoving women into stereotypical roles? Having two women modelling loads of awesome hardware is hardly a call for feministic debate - especially when the readership of this magazine sits at 80% male. I would have quite comfortably included a man in the shoot if I had thought that there were enough female readers. I also don't think that this has alienated female readers either. None of my female friends who play games, programme or design felt even the slightest bit offended. In fact they looked at the shoot, asked me about the costumes or hardware, read the reviews and moved on. This is NOT a sign of women selling technology nor is it an indication of how women don't understand technology. I really DON'T understand how you can draw such an obtuse conclusion. I wear a bikini - sometimes I wear it while playing computer games. My boyfriend really doesn't think that because I am wearing my bikini I am just playing Solitaire or trying desperately to find the Start button.

Actually there have only been about ten people who have complained about the Swimsuit Special - the overwhelming consensus has been one of huge delight. I think that it was definitely a big deviation from the usual stuff that you see in PC Format but it was counterbalanced by loads of extra reviews and pages. I also ensured that there were lots of competitions and other elements to provide for all interests. Its simple - if you don't like the swimsuit section don't read it.

I am angry about this because I have made a concerted effort to improve the perception of women in technology over the past few years. I am one of the biggest pundits of equality and respect for women in the technology work place and world. I have spent many years fighting my way through the Old Boys Club that rules the technological corporate and social spheres and I have many concerns and issues regarding the outdated and sexist views that prevail still today. While I am aware of how the shoot could be perceived as me succumbing to the demands of a sexist world I actually see it completely differently.

Thats me two cents.

P.S. Fishzn - that was VERY funny
P.P.S There were an extra 16 pages of which only SIX where women in swimsuits
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Fishzn wrote: Lets buy FHM and then go to their forums and complain about the PC's in their MAG's :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm with you Fishy! Let's go to the FHM forum and b*tch about the computers and technology they have in their magazines! Who do they think they are, PC Format? Sheesh the nerve... the actually have game reviews too!

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
AJake

Post by AJake »

matt is right!

I think the whole 8 page model spread was just a ploy to divert attention away from the fact that the Holiday Edition sucked big time and lacked quality content!

The magazine is really going to the dogs!
Madgic

Post by Madgic »

:twisted: I cannot resist the temptation to say: Blah blah woof woof!

But, what about the car mags with wenches draped all over the vehicles for you guys to perve? Hmmmm? What about us female who also drive cars? And we actually know how to use that thingee with all the buttons on - called a keyboard?

YEAH! WE WANT HUNKS!!! ROFL :twisted:

Any color . . . except green and purple!

Now I'm discriminating!

:wink:
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Hail to the new year.....So looks like we are going to have a new topic this year or should say flame Fest....... :twisted:

"Is PCFormat staff racist.?"
"Why are all men pigs?"
and;
"Why do ppl have to debate things to death....didn't you do that when you were in school..?"Would this mean were all still kids at heart...??"

Wizardofid
XXXXXXXXX
Bringing the peace to a forum near you..!
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

Psych0_Cr1tt3r
XXXXXXXXXXXX
ROFLing at AJake, the lv60 Critict.