Help with graphics - photoshop add

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

WoW! 8O Thanks for all the info! That's really cleared it up! :D
proaTt

Post by proaTt »

Lol thought this thread died,yeah 5000bucks is kinda overpriced,no wonder...anyways its cool asked this nerdy guy that were with me in school to do it for me,thx anyways..what bout i post the pic and see if you guys can improve it?
capanno

Post by capanno »

Yes please!
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
Moo

Post by Moo »

Just for interest's sake, no above-the-line media ad agency would look at a single once-off ad spread. You'd have to approach a small time DTP place for that, or a freelancer-then it would cost the amount Maxxis mentioned, roundabouts.

As for what Leigh mentioned, you'd be surprised what the high end ad or design agencies charge for just a print campaign. And if a client approaches the agency and insists that only one ad be necessary, chances are they would still bill the client for the full campaign.

A prominent creative director will charge you between R500 to R1000 per hour when freelancing. I've seen a quote sheet-it's true. o_O
Kher-za

Post by Kher-za »

Hey guys, need help.

I want to make a layer gradually become transparent from left to right, basically it must merge into the underlying layer. If anyone knows how to make and image to start fading to black or becoming transparent from a certain point could you please help me out. I have paintshop pro 8 and photoshop.

thanks.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

In photoshop you can just use an eraser (50% opacity) with a nice fluffy brush and erase the part you want transparent.

By gradually erasing from left to right the layer will start to blend.

Hope this helps.

If you have problems just send me a sample of what you want to do and I can take a look at it.
Kher-za

Post by Kher-za »

yeah, thing is that i dont want to do a defineable erase, i want a nice and gradual effect. take the blood stain in the bottom left of my sig for example, I made the entire layer opaque, but what i would like is for it to be solid in the corner and became totally opaque as the picture moves towards the center...like a fade to opaque.

thanx for the reply.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

you would use a transform layer or layer mask and a gradient, (white to black or vice versa)....

select the top layer, then create a layer mask, (all white).

select this mask layer and fill with the desired gradient, (black allows the bottom pic to bleed into the top one..)

you can also apply the various finishes, (textures, etc), to this mask... changeing mask transparancy will also effect how much of the targeted layer is drawn...

as a gimp user, i have zilch idea of what menus etc you would use though.... :wink:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

That works 2. Lets see.

In photoshop you have 2 layers.

For the top layer you add a layer mask.

Now use a black to transparent gradient fill on the top layer to fade it into the bottom layer.
Kher-za

Post by Kher-za »

yay! i actually learned something usefull today, so this is what it is to be alive.

Thanx to the both of you!
Anthropoid21

Post by Anthropoid21 »

Which is better Corel draw 10 or Photoshop CS2 ??
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

You cant compare the 2. One is a vector based page layout program while the other is a rastor based image editing package.

CS2 is the best for what it is used for.

Corel DRAW 10 is pretty old. X3 or 13 is out already.

For vector stuff rather use Adobe Illustrator or Macromedia Freehand.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

ctrl-alt-del wrote:For vector stuff rather use Adobe Illustrator or Macromedia Freehand.
very true...

not forgetting InkScape... impressive freeware app used for Scalable Vector Graphics, (SVG), which even includes an impressive calligraphy tool...

<comitted freeware junkie of note> :D
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel