Nasa "reading" your subvocal speech

Formerly known as "The Ward" -- now Anakha56 and rustypup's playground. Abandon all hope, all ye who enter.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
jee

Nasa "reading" your subvocal speech

Post by jee »

NASA researchers can hear what you're saying, even when you don't make a sound.

Jorgensen, using an uncanny technology called subvocal speech recognition, demonstrates it at his offices at NASA's Ames Research Laboratory in Mountain View, Calif. He attaches a set of electrodes to the skin of his throat and, without his opening his mouth or uttering a sound, his words are recognized and begin appearing on a computer screen. The Ames lab has already used subvocal commands to drive a car around a virtual city in a computer simulation and to Google the Web using nothing but unuttered search terms and commands. Jorgensen sees abundant applications for his technology where audible speech is impossible: for astronauts, underwater Navy Seals, fighter pilots and emergency workers charging into loud, harsh environments.

When we speak aloud, we're forcing air past the larynx and tongue, sculpting words using the articulator muscles in the mouth and jaw. But these muscles go into action regardless of whether air is sent past them. All you have to do is say the words to yourself and you're sending weak electrical currents from your brain to the speech muscles. Jorgensen's trick is to record those signals (known as electromyograms), process them with statistical algorithms and compare the output with prerecorded signal patterns of spoken words, phrases and commands. When there's a match, the unspoken turns into speech.
more

hmm until it falls into the wrong hands....
Last edited by jee on 26 Mar 2006, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
MrG-

Post by MrG- »

These things freak me out, I really dont know why. Its an advancement in technology but I still get freaked out by these things.
Hill

Post by Hill »

Damn better hope my wife never gets hold of this technology. :roll: :lol:
Regards
Hill
MrG-

Post by MrG- »

lol!
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

thats just scary.

s
Spabel

Post by Spabel »

that's soooo kewl. can you imagine cs with such technology.

oohhhhh
All that glitters is not gold,
all those who wander are not lost...

JRR TOLKIEN
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

OK, so if I had those things stuck to my larynx, you telling me as I read this post he would be able to "hear" me reading it in my head??? No frickin way!
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Hire A Programmer -|- Just Source Code Blog
enLighten

Post by enLighten »

SilverBack wrote:OK, so if I had those things stuck to my larynx, you telling me as I read this post he would be able to "hear" me reading it in my head??? No frickin way!
Way... at least if you were saying a response to the post to yourself anyway.
Freaky!!!
If I accept the sunshine and warmth I must also accept the thunder and lightning.