Any hardware related topics go here.
invigorAted

Heatsink and Fan Bending Motherboard!!

Post by invigorAted »

Here's the scene:
Motherboard: Asus SLI Premium
CPU: Athlon 64 x2 3800
Stock Heatsink and fan

man did we have problems installing this! firstly, it was a MISSIOn to get the HSF to click in on both sides, and then the real trouble came, to bring that lever down...one almost had to force it, and I dont like forcing expensive stuff...when it came down, it didnt have that distinctive 'click'...Then the worst of all - the marks it all left: That little metal plate going through middle of heatsink was almost cutting into HSF on one side, instead of being in middle! AND the motherboard was totally BENDIng about 10 degrees towards the middle where socket is!

Now, is the HSF faulty, or the mobo?? coz this has never happened to me before...they're all so smoothe ususally...
Flytek

Post by Flytek »

sound a bit extreme bud.
maybe check that the backplate is on completely
aslso check that the hsf clips on both sides are properly seated where they are supposed to.
lastly these a64 'sinks do have a higher mounting pressure than older designs.
i have seen mobo's bend btu 10% sounds a bit extreme.

if you place a small spacer underneath the front plastic cage, around each screw, would that decrease the pressure?
invigorAted

Post by invigorAted »

backplate was on perfectly, when that failed we even tried without it! no luck...I think the spaces could help, but I wonder if it will solve the problem - i had to literally use all my force to get pins on both sides of HSF to click in, one one the lever's side goes in easy, then the other one is almost impossbile without using screwdriver to hook it around...

is it possible that they made a marginal error on mobo, like 1mm - coz when looked at heatsink from above, its not in squarely in socket - 1mm more space in corner than the other - sort of scew..
Flytek

Post by Flytek »

invigorAted wrote:backplate was on perfectly, when that failed we even tried without it! no luck...I think the spaces could help, but I wonder if it will solve the problem - i had to literally use all my force to get pins on both sides of HSF to click in, one one the lever's side goes in easy, then the other one is almost impossbile without using screwdriver to hook it around...

is it possible that they made a marginal error on mobo, like 1mm - coz when looked at heatsink from above, its not in squarely in socket - 1mm more space in corner than the other - sort of scew..
there is usually some play for the hsf to move around in the top cage so thats normal.
i always start on the side without the lever and clip that in.
then the lever must be all the way open for it's clip to go on properly and easily.
the closr the lever till it clips to the top side cage.
if you have spare thermal paste you could try remount again
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

My X2 Stock cooler was the same impossible mission to fit. Lucky for me I only used it for 1 day like this. Swopped the cooler for my old Gigabyte 3D cooler which fitted lots better. I think the stock HSF is a bit crappy with regards to fitting the mobos. Especially ASUS.
Dom

Post by Dom »

I've had this problem before, while building Athlon 64 systems... I've even had to ever so marginally bend the clip on one (or both) sides of the HSF, before it would go on properly :?
\"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; although I am not sure about the former.\" Albert Einstein

November 10th, 2004; I\'m gonna miss you mom :-(
May 3rd, 2007; Missing you gramps :-(
MrG-

Post by MrG- »

I dont want to see the sizes of fans and heatsinks in 10 years time. They just get bigger and bigger.

I am feeling sorry for Koeburg :( All those fans must be using alot of its power. I wonder if they can replace that roter with a couple of fans, should be strong enough to turn it ;)
invigorAted

Post by invigorAted »

eventually I just pushed it in, the slight bend is there but turned HSF other way, fitted better this time...35*C at idle, bout 45 at load, system 2 degrees hotter all the time, think it's probably ok?
Flytek

Post by Flytek »

sounds fine :D