Blu ray disk

Any hardware related topics go here.
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

The problem with larger disks is that you have to spin them slower ;) So larger size, but it will limit transfer rate.

And yeah, 52x limit so we don't explode CDs in their drives =) Fantastic fun, that would be.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

And thats why its not a good idea to overclock CD drives! CDs at 30 000RPM can cause serious bodily harm.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

Have you guys never watched mythbusters!?!?!?! then you will know how hard it is to shatter a cd at hi spinning rates. but it pretty awesum to watch. now why are you guys ignoring the new disk that we also posted in here "the HVD" the have a gb\s transfur rate aparently. but of course it going to take a while to read 400gb aint it. but ya the frequency of the ray used does make a difference on the possible capacity. denser information = the greater the capacity........ more information that can be held
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Mythbusters is what I was thinking of. I've read up about that HVD a couple of months ago. It will be a few years before we (the consumers) see them. They also have much logistics to get through before being ready for market.

It sounds like a far better solution on paper than either of the 2 next gen formats, but if it was so close to release, why haven't we heard much about it? I reckon it will be very expensive on release and will take years to drop in price. Just like CD-ROM was in the mid 80s. I could be wrong though, sometimes these ideas come out of left field and revolutionise the market.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
solo

Post by solo »

+/- 52 minutes to burn a disk. $1000 for the burner.

I'm in no hurry just yet :?

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews ... 5&PageId=4
style121

Post by style121 »

Yeh it is a little slow, but bearing in mind you're burning approximately 35 gigs of data, thats not bad. Though if you were to transfer that onto a USB harddrive it would probably take a tenth of the time.
daBoss

Post by daBoss »

Verbatim produces caddy-free media
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32763
The media are the cads

By Theo Valich: Sunday 02 July 2006, 08:42
EVERY FIRST GENERATION of new optical media comes in a protective plastic casing, or caddy. Even on Computex in Taipei, we have seen the Blu-ray mediums hidden inside the protective casings, but that is no more - users will probably be saved from the whole caddy confusion.

The reason for plastic casing is pretty understandable: to protect first generation recordable surfaces. However, Verbatim has developed its own marchitecture, ScratchGuard. This fancy name with a capital G in the middle because it's traditional, is nothing more but a hard coating which sits on the top of the Blu-ray medium, keeping the recordable layer safe from damage. Hopefully.

Verbatim is currently mass producing both Blu-ray BD-R, BD-RE (Recordable) and HDVD-R media, which are scheduled to hit stores sometime during this month. The capacity of BD-R/RE mediums is 25 gigs, while HDVD-R is set at 15 GB. Verbatim plans to make dual-layer Blu-ray and HD-DVD mediums by the end of the year, effectively doubling the capacity to 50 GB for Blu-ray and 30 gigs for HD-DVD standard.

However, the presence of BD-R, BD-RE and HDDVD-R will be greatly influenced by the price of Blu-ray/HD-DVD recorders. The cads.
Intel 2.13 Ghz Core 2 Duo
MSI P35 Neo 3
2Gig Transcent DDR2 800
320gig SATA2 Seagate
250gig SATA2 Seagate
250gig SATA2 Maxtor
512MB 8800GT XFX
Asus SATA DvDWriter
600w PSU
Coolermaster Cavalier
Dual Display 22\\\" & 17\\\"