Blu ray disk

Any hardware related topics go here.
Cupis

Blu ray disk

Post by Cupis »

Don't you guys think the consept pf the new blu ray disk is awesum! up to a 25 gb capacity or something. but now that i know about it i want it!!! it would making backup so much more easier. now does any1 know when they are going to be selling this to the public. becos i have not seen it anywhere for sale and i have read that there are drives available? so it would be useful to know. and one off the topic. who knows when hl2 exp is going to be released?

Stu
qace

Post by qace »

1.12 When will I be able to buy Blu-ray products?

If you live in the US, you will have to wait until the Blu-ray launch which is scheduled for May 23, 2006. While we've heard very little about the launch plans for the European market, we expect it to follow shortly after the US (some products might launch earlier).

Source : http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#1.12
Black-Ice

Post by Black-Ice »

someone told me that the ps3 comes with blu-ray.... is it true?

-The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth
-Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire

KITTEN HUFFING <- Clicky :lol:
GOVERNMENT WARNING: According to the Surgeon General, the use of kitten huffing impairs your ability to drive a car or operate machinery, and may cause health problems.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Yes
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
qace

Post by qace »

Yes the PS3 is comming out with Blu-ray..
Black-Ice

Post by Black-Ice »

Now all I need to do is rob a bank so that i can get a PS3 with games and a Blu-Ray writer and media..... when its finally released

-The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth
-Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire

KITTEN HUFFING <- Clicky :lol:
GOVERNMENT WARNING: According to the Surgeon General, the use of kitten huffing impairs your ability to drive a car or operate machinery, and may cause health problems.
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

i read that samsung is the first to release the blu ray drive? ya in may. you guys think its going to moere expensive? cause then we would have to wait like a year - year and half before its in any kand of purchasing range.
solo

Post by solo »

As with all new technology they will be very expensice at first. Remember paying R1800 for your first DVD burner ? Also don't rush out and get a Blue-ray only burner / player. Some top manufacturers are looking at making devices supporting both Blue-ray and HD-DVD. That way you are covered.
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_disk
For the _real_ bleeding edge ^_^
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

solo wrote:As with all new technology they will be very expensice at first. Remember paying R1800 for your first DVD burner ?
WHAT?? I paid R 2700 for my first HP 2 speed CD-Writer!

Blu-ray may be very expensive, i think. Because a 9GB DVD is already vrek expensive, imagine what a 25GB one will cost - also, i doubt all current DVD players will support it - so it may not be a success! Image
Kankuro

Post by Kankuro »

RiD1 wrote:
solo wrote:As with all new technology they will be very expensice at first. Remember paying R1800 for your first DVD burner ?
WHAT?? I paid R 2700 for my first HP 2 speed CD-Writer!

Blu-ray may be very expensive, i think. Because a 9GB DVD is already vrek expensive, imagine what a 25GB one will cost - also, i doubt all current DVD players will support it - so it may not be a success! Image
So THATS how much profit the places like rectron made!!!! :P
[img]Removed%20by%20Cameron%20-%20Read%20the%20rules[/img]
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

Sony announced Blu-ray will go on sale in the US on 23 May - around $30 per 25Gb single-layered disc.
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

@kankuro - How did you know i got it from rectron?
Kankuro

Post by Kankuro »

RiD1 wrote:@kankuro - How did you know i got it from rectron?
Because I love you!
[img]Removed%20by%20Cameron%20-%20Read%20the%20rules[/img]
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

ok,all very good it being able 2 take upto 25gb...but how long will it take 2 write 1 disk full??? bout an hour? maybe even 2?? any know? :? :?: and how long will it be until they have both blu ray and that other format,i think its sumthing like HD DL or sumthing(was mensioned earlyer on in this post) :D
solo

Post by solo »

At 2x (about 8990 KByte/s) it takes just under 44 minutes.
Rikkelz

Post by Rikkelz »

RiD1 wrote:Blu-ray may be very expensive, i think. Because a 9GB DVD is already vrek expensive, imagine what a 25GB one will cost - also, i doubt all current DVD players will support it - so it may not be a success!
Blu-ray discs won't be able to be read by any current DVD players as it uses a completely seperate laser technology.

Another nice prospect of Blu-ray is that they come in the dual layer variety too, meaning you get 50GB of data on a single disc...
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

Rikkelz wrote:
RiD1 wrote:Blu-ray may be very expensive, i think. Because a 9GB DVD is already vrek expensive, imagine what a 25GB one will cost - also, i doubt all current DVD players will support it - so it may not be a success!
Blu-ray discs won't be able to be read by any current DVD players as it uses a completely seperate laser technology.
As with many emerging technologies, tho, they will start piggybacking it onto regular systems. So, you will get a 'DVD player that supports Blu-Ray' long before Blu-Ray movies are widely available.

Edit: And the competing format is HD-DVD (High Definition DVD), and it uses a red laser technology like current CD and DVD drives, but still incompatible with them.
Rikkelz

Post by Rikkelz »

Synkronos wrote:As with many emerging technologies, tho, they will start piggybacking it onto regular systems. So, you will get a 'DVD player that supports Blu-Ray' long before Blu-Ray movies are widely available.

Edit: And the competing format is HD-DVD (High Definition DVD), and it uses a red laser technology like current CD and DVD drives, but still incompatible with them.
...I know this...

All I was saying is that the DVD players which you find in most peoples houses today (ESP. South Africa) will not support Blu-ray discs. I agree (and have even seen videos of them) that there will be DVD players that are able to read Blu-ray discs. When I was talking about them not being able to be read in current DVD players I was reffering specifically to Blu-ray discs (not HD-DVD) and part of the reason they are not able to be used in current DVD players is that they use a blue laser. HD DVDs do not use the same laser technology as DVD players. DVD players use a red laser while HD DVD players use a blue-violet laser.
HowStuffWorks.com wrote:But three important differences allow them to hold quite a bit more information than DVDs:

* They use 405 nanometer blue-violet lasers rather than 650 nanometer red lasers.
* The pits are smaller and the tracks are closer together.
* They use more efficient compression to cut down the size of the files they store.
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

ok dam who ever put that link in to the HVD thanks!!! Dam people they busy chuning its possible to get a 3.9tB HVD!!!! WTF and they want to release a HVD 400gB this year!!!! i know none of us are going to get our hands on this nor shall we have enough money for this in quite a long time but DAM!!! imagine carring around a cd looking disk wich carries 400gb!!!! dam thats bigger than both my hardrives put together!!!! lol. me want. any1 works for nasa here? or could lone me a million rand to get started ;)
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

CD = infra red
DVD = red laser
HD-DVD = violet blue laser
Blu Ray = blue laser

The light wavelengths decrease the further down you go. Data storage increases with smaller wavelengths. The really bad thing about Blue Ray is that you will need to have a internet connection everytime you play a movie so the player can check if the movie is a known pirate copy and will permanently disable itself if you are playing what it thinks is a pirate copy.

HD-DVD allows a managed copy to be made. Blu Ray is the better tech but after the s..t Sony pulled with the rootkit, I don't know if I will be purchasing Blu Ray.

BTW they have quad layer Blu Ray in the lab (100GB)
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

Hex_Rated wrote:HD-DVD = violet blue laser
Ah, I stand corrected =) Thanks for the extra info.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

I originally thought HD-DVD was upper red spectrum laser until Rikkelz posted. Isn't violet after blue (blu ray) in the spectrum? Something's not right.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

The wavelength is not all that determines disk size. All it does it determine maximum theoretical data density.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

It is a major factor, but I should have said data-density not storage size. You could say the other factors are layers and the size of the disc. Imagine how much data a quad layer laser-disc sized (old LP size) blu-ray disk could hold.

Another side effect of having a high density disk is that the max data transfer speed is increased at a constant RPM. RPM is what limits us to 52x CD or 16x DVD transfer speeds. 16x DVD is much faster than 52x CD (data tx not angular velocity) because of the increase in data density. The sensor tech is probably what will limit blu ray or HD-DVD to 2x on launch.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64