Failed NB Fan

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
Omen

Failed NB Fan

Post by Omen »

Hi guys

I'm in need of some opinions. The Northbridge fan on my Abit IS7 is on it's way out (making noise and speed is half what it used to be). I'm gonna be taking it out and dusting it off a bit this weekend but I have a feeling it's the bearings themselves that are going. So I need an alternative. Anyone got any idea of where I can get a replacement NB fan (from an IS7 or aftermarket) or maybe I can go passive cooling?

Any ideas from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks. :)
Syndicate

Post by Syndicate »

Go for this
vantec iceberq ccb-a1c , Copper All-In-One Chipset or VGA Cooling Kit. with fan
Omen

Post by Omen »

Carly wrote:Go for this
Thanks Carly. Will look it up. Any idea if I can get one locally? :wink:
Omen

Post by Omen »

I did some research and it looks like the iceberq needs some modification to fit (fins need to be broken off and it needs to be epoxied onto the chip). If I need to epoxy onto the chip I would honestly prefer a passive solution. I could always put a fan in the side panel...would this help to any great extent?

I also read about some guys using a Thermaltake Tiger 1? Any views on this? Can we even get it here?

Sorry for the questions, I'm at a bit of a loss here. I've also heard it's fine to just leave it with the fan off (unplugged) but I'm not too sure about that one.
gifs

Post by gifs »

The northbridge fan on my Abit IC-7 G is also on its way out, its making an awful noise.

Anyone ever replaced their's?

Any suggestions, I don't want to make adjustments or anything to the fixing mechanism.

Anyone use this one before?
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win you are still retarded
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Omen wrote:
Carly wrote:Go for this
Thanks Carly. Will look it up. Any idea if I can get one locally? :wink:
Yep, you can get it from Carly!
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

[edited to make more sense]

The airflow comming off the cpu heatsink (depends if you have the stock cooler or not) should be sufficient to cool the NB with the fan removed.

If it gets a bit hot then get the Zalman NB47J: http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/vie ... 1&code=014

I've got one and it's works great even with a high FSB.
Last edited by Bobendren on 06 Mar 2006, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
Moses

Post by Moses »

I'm seeing a trend here... My IC7-max3 northbridge fan has been on it's way for a long time. In fact I'm not sure if it even workd as the sensor broke.
gifs

Post by gifs »

No, I've got the IC-7 G which uses the intel 875 chipset as supposes to the 865, but the northbridge fans look the same.

But I've done some reading on the forums on the abit site and it seems that it should work without the fan (I've got Zalman 7700 so that should help)

Ive disconnected the fan and the temps are the same, its not overclocked at the moment though.

If it gives problems I'll try that Zalman heat sink, its quite cheap too.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win you are still retarded
gifs

Post by gifs »

@ Moses

Ive seen many people complaining about this on both the IS-7 and IC-7 motherboards, many only lasting a couple of months
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

gifs wrote:But I've done some reading on the forums on the abit site and it seems that it should work without the fan (I've got Zalman 7700 so that should help)

Ive disconnected the fan and the temps are the same, its not overclocked at the moment though.

If it gives problems I'll try that Zalman heat sink, its quite cheap too.
The 7700 should provide enough airflow.

I don't think there's a temp sensor on the NB. Just touch it to get an estimate.
gifs

Post by gifs »

The NB heatsink is cool to the touch, I don't even think its 25 degrees
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

gifs wrote:The NB heatsink is cool to the touch, I don't even think its 25 degrees
Run Prime95, or any other program that stresses the cpu/memory. You'll find it gets pretty warm.