VB.NET and Access DB

Get help on programming - C++, Java, Delphi, etc.
r-it

VB.NET and Access DB

Post by r-it »

Guyz, cud ne1 plz gimme sum help. I've got a huge project that i gotta do alone @work, i hav 2 do the UML, DB structure(relationships n all that), the proram, the MSI, the user manual and all that. I have 15 days in which 2 do all this othawise there wont b any improvement on my progress rpt ie. that means i'm not eligible 4 a raise 4 anotha 6 months. I hav most of the things under control but there r sum things im not quite familiar with. its a recipe program and at the bottom(when u enter a new recipe), it has a large textbox to type the method in and the whole recipe is then stored in the database. the problem is that the method part is too large to be stored in access (and i dont wanna use oracle, t gives me 2 much problems) so is there a way to store the method in a txt file, reference it and retrieve it once the user requests to view it and is able to be embbed into a crytal report. plz gimme sum ideas. the otha problem i hav is that when storing a recipe, a picture of the recipe also has to be stored and i just wanna kno about how OLE objects in vb.net coz it was straight forward in vb6. Can u also add a picture as an OLE entity in access? Ur suggestions r very valuable guyz, plz help
Daughters and sons of the soil, I greet you with my revolutionary, unapologetic, Afican greeting in saying "Izwe Lethu!"
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Use the access database to store the filename and path to the text file and image pertaining to the recipe.

4 fields:

PK (seeded int)
Recipe Name (64 bytes?)
Path to txt file (64 bytes?)
Path to image (64 bytes?)

Use date and time to "seed" your filenames. Eg "20060220112310.txt" would be a recipe method created on 2006/02/20 11:23:10.

NB: I would not be impressed if someone wrote a program for me designed like this. You should do it with a MS SQL database and embed the text and images in the table. Its a very simple table and you can run it off MSDE (or SQL Server 2005 Express) which is free for your clients as long as you own a licence. It will work, but when you get 2000+ recipes windows will start to freak out because there are too many files in the folder.

Not sure how you would link it to crystal reports.

Can I get 10% of your raise if you manage to sneak this past your boss?:)
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

if you are using a database, you would store large text objects as CLOBs and images as BLOBs, (OLE type), ... so I fail to see the issue here?

or am I just being extraordinarily dense? what is your level of experience with db normalisation? do you know how to open db io streams?

<edit>
you also failed to mention which db you are using....
</edit>
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
skunkymunky
Permanently Banned

Post by skunkymunky »

uyanya fraud uliqaba awazinto sidennge :-)
Fool people into thinking youve got a horse by taking off a unicorns horn