Disappointed in the Ed (Walt)

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
LomWoss

Disappointed in the Ed (Walt)

Post by LomWoss »

Hi all

It is probably just me but I was a little disappointed in the Ed this month. I was reading the letters and was really unhappy to see the 3 year old attitude of the ED in response to one of the letters. I really think that he should have taken a bit more time in answering that letter. He could have taken a more mature approach... Yeah the guy was ranting on about PSP and he wants only PC etc etc, but really Walt, did you have to take the 3 year old approach - of I'm going to take my ball now as you don't want to play by my rules.

I like some of the extra things that you have brought to PCF, like the GEAR mag etc, so I was really disappointed with the reply that you made. I realise that it could have been done it when you were reading the letter and answered when a little stressed, but dude, you need to make sure to explain things in a different light in future.

A simple answer of yes we are a PC magazine but we also like to keep you informed about other Technologies, especially things that have a bearing on PC games, would have been far better. You are always going to find people that will rant about the mag as you have changed it, but better to politely put them in a box than to carry on like a 3 year old.

Thanks
LomWoss
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Lemme guess. You're the author of the letter in question, right? Right. To tell you the truth I fully understood Walt's reply and I agree with it. PC Format is a technology mag with the PC as it's main focus. This does not mean that other platforms will never be covered. Besides, you can't make an informed choice if you're not aware of all the options. So stop ranting already. :roll:

P.S. - Welcome to the forums. :)
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Having just reread that letter, and the response to it, I have no option but to believe that it is in fact you who wrote it.

You complain about Walt's Response, when He actually AGREED with the fact that console stuff won't take over PCF.

The letter however is written by a closed-minded, prejudiced person, in 3 year old fasion.

Talking about how he went through the early stages of the mag, and even with a woman editor

WHAT!?!?!

Are PCs supposedly now only reserved for men? What kind of a neanderthal mentality is that?

Then, he is so devout in his following of PCs ONLY, that he fails to see the bigger picture.

Consoles are here to stay, whether you like it or not.
Not everyone requires (or wants) a PC where you have to continuously update the OS, get service packs, bug fixes, new drivers, etc. etc. just to keep it in good running condition.
Some people just want to pop in a Disc, and play. No questions asked, no tinkering, no tweaking, just instant fun.
Get with the times man.

As for the mag content: There is bound to be mention of consoles here and there. They can't just carry on in a closed minded world, pretending that consoles don't exist, and then maybe they will go away.
As walt said, consoles WON'T take over PCF, but just because he hates consoles doesn't mean that PCF must remove all references to consoles in the mag.
Also, they print Adverts for ANYONE who wants one and is willing to pay the price. They're not gonna tell Sony, no sorry, we don't want your money, because you build consoles and not PCs.
Besides, PCF is not a health mag, and consoles aren't fast food chains.

Just so you know. I don't have a console, and I never will, because I can do everything I want to do on my PC. But I don't smack Consoles down as useless, because I prefer PCs

Lastly, there is nothing wrong with Walt's response. He answered the problem, and expressed his dissappointment in the mentality of the author of that letter.

If you still believe that Walt's response was childish, then at least consider the fact that the letter he was answering was so childish, and it doesn't deserve a mature response...

PS. Welcome to the forums. :D
Don't just dissappear after 2 posts like so many of the new users do, we like more company.
LomWoss

Post by LomWoss »

Hi All

Thanks for the responses, and just to let you know, NO I AM NOT THE PERSON WHO WROTE THE LETTER. Firstly if you look at my topic here you would have seen that I would not have written a letter like that. As to the person who wrote the letter, yeah you are both right he does deserve to get slapped around the head for his comments, and yes he is very narrow minded. To this end I do applaud the old Ed (or should that be young??) for saying that he is very narrow minded, and yes the comment about the woman editor did make me unhappy (I would rather use stronger language here but that too might place me in the 3 year old bracket).

What I am saying though is that the answer was not the best thought out in my opinion. As stated I would have slapped him over the head too, but I just think that he could have done it in far more subtle and clever way.

Just to make things clear I do not agree with his letter in the first place. Sorry I realise that I should have made that clear in the first post. If you had read my post a little more carefully you would have noticed that I do in fact like the idea of having content in PCF other than just PC. My reasoning is plain and simple, most game houses develop games for not only PC but also console, and unfortunately most gameing house these days are actually more driven by consoles than PCs so to turn a blind eye to that is in my opinion is very naive. I like the fact that PCF does carry other technologies like consoles etc, as I think that this adds to PCF.

Anyway I think that I have carried on far too much here. To those that I have made unhappy about my post I do appologise. I was merely stating my opinion that Walt could have slapped him around the head in a far better and humorous way.

Thanks
LomWoss
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

LomWoss wrote:To those that I have made unhappy about my post I do appologise.
No worries mate. we were just pointing out that we don't find Walt's response childish. At least not anymore than the letter.
LomWoss

Post by LomWoss »

Kronos wrote: No worries mate. we were just pointing out that we don't find Walt's response childish. At least not anymore than the letter.
No Problems. I think I just thought as the ed he would be above that kind of response. It just made me sad that he lowered himself to the other persons level thats all.

Thanks
LomWoss
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Yeah, that's the problem when arguing with idiots...

...They bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience. :lol:
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Um, yes, what they said...

To be honest, maybe I was a little harsh in my response - but it's the result of many years of hearing this same argument. It gets me a little... worked up.

Personally, I had a good chuckle when I wrote the response... ah, well, I guess I am just a weirdo.
Futs

Post by Futs »

Yes you are, please don't let us stop you from being who you are ;)

Trust me when I say that people don't understand until they have been there.
but it's the result of many years of hearing this same argument. It gets me a little... worked up
I know the feeling when dealing with difficult clients, each one of them asking the exact same thing fifty times a day.
LomWoss

Post by LomWoss »

Ramjet wrote:Um, yes, what they said...

To be honest, maybe I was a little harsh in my response - but it's the result of many years of hearing this same argument. It gets me a little... worked up.

Personally, I had a good chuckle when I wrote the response... ah, well, I guess I am just a weirdo.
Yeah well I don't mind the harsh bit as really he did deserve that, what got to me was the fact that you lowered yourself to his level, when really you should probably should have just taken the piss out of him. But then in a way you did do that, so I guess it works out.

Not to worry about the answering the same letter again and again, don't worry I'm sure we can find some others that are willing to send you the same letter over and over again if you would like. Actually come to think of it perhaps I will build an auto mailer just for you so that every month I can send you the letter complaining about he fact that there is too much stuff on PCs int he mag and I want more console stuff :) (joke)

Any way I think that I am now starting to stray from the reservation. Thanks for the reply, the mag, the ... (what ever else it is you do), greatly appreciate it.

Thanks LomWoss
LomWoss

Post by LomWoss »

Futs wrote:Trust me when I say that people don't understand until they have been there.

I know the feeling when dealing with difficult clients, each one of them asking the exact same thing fifty times a day.
It was because I have been there, done that, ate the breakfast cerial, that I made this post in the first place. I really do understand the letters, emails, phone calls from abusive clients, I get them all the time, and no matter how hard you try, the guy on the other end is just not listening. So I understand why he did it, my post which obviously was not so well worded, was to say how disappointed I was of the fact that he unfortunately got worked up about it.

Thanks
LomWoss
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Ramjet no response would have been hard against that letter. Anyways it was good for a :lol:

And oh yeah before I forget. Ed shouldn't take all of the reader comments too serious especially those by say a guy called ChApS saying that the cover girls should wear less. :lol: Nice idea but after a while the mag will turn ro pr0n
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932