Good C++ Compiler with GUI

Get help on programming - C++, Java, Delphi, etc.
SuperQuaise

Good C++ Compiler with GUI

Post by SuperQuaise »

Are there any good freeware C++ compilers with a GUI ? Besides Visual Basic.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

I suppose .net falls under VB... then I cant help you. Google ?

s
Fishzn

Post by Fishzn »

Well the only one i can remember is the one by Devsoft, there hasn't been a recent build but it used to work fine for me. It was called DevC, and i think it used the MingW compiler. Just search for it, i'm pretty sure it will come up. Thats the only freeware one i know of. Though i think there are others under the GPL, will check and let you know.
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

also... check out the Eclipse Project... it will require that you download some plugins, here, but is one of the more respected IDE's out there.... very nifty...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Good C++ Compiler with GUI

Post by Y0da »

andre20033002 wrote:Are there any good freeware C++ compilers with a GUI ? Besides Visual Basic.
Hmm...

VB is not a C++ compiler and neither is it free. I would strongly suggest you check out the free C# package over at Microsoft's site. ;)
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
bhangie

Post by bhangie »

Hi

Try Bloodshed, used it once it's not bad at all.

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Y0da wrote:Hmm...

VB is not a C++ compiler and neither is it free. I would strongly suggest you check out the free C# package over at Microsoft's site. ;)
:?
C# is not a C++ compiler either.

Clouding your vision the darkside is... :D
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Kronos wrote:
Y0da wrote:Hmm...

:?
C# is not a C++ compiler either.

Clouding your vision the darkside is... :D
Ja ja...I'm suggesting he rather uses that because you'll be hard pressed to find a free c++ compiler with a decent gui/inteface. And C# is the in thing at the mo...;)
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Touche. That Visual MingW seems pretty cool. Of course mingw is a well know c/c++ compiler so this might be worth it. Good find Kronos! :)
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Thanks.

On your previous post:
Yes, C# (see sharp) is the in thing at the moment, but C++ is still IMHO the big daddy of programming.

It is still, and will still continue to be the Game Developers choice. (well, actually leaning more towards standard C for speed)
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

That is true. But I suppose a newbie would be better off learning the current tools of the trade. I batteled to switch to .net because I was adept in my old ways of writing code. But alas, you have to adapt or die...;)
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Y0da wrote:.... But alas, you have to adapt or die...;)
You tell John Carmack that! :wink:
SuperQuaise

Post by SuperQuaise »

Thanx for the advice is there any really good way to get into a new programming language. I did Pascal at school for a while but want to move on to more practical stuff.
axe346

Post by axe346 »

How about Linux Qt or KDevelop (availible with Mandrake 9.3 or Mandrivia 10.2 Retail Edition) it almost free and has C++ , OpenGL , JSCRIPT and Window / Linux / MacOS Compyling options. It is s little diffrent from C++ 6.0 code but it is cross platform. Qt must compile in Console but Kdevelop has a GUI compiler .Both Have a GUI interface. QT with GUI compiler is availible for Windows at a cost.

I program in C++ 6.0 , .net and Kdevolop and I can port my projects between them with a little port of Qt reader.

Play in Windows , Work in Linux , Check out the Ports to MacOs
Believe is for those who aren`t sure. I know -The Collector. It was my brother who broke it , I just fixed it (and know it will never work) - Personal qoute
Fishzn

Post by Fishzn »

Hi

Try Bloodshed, used it once it's not bad at all.

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
Yep, same one i was on about! True its not bad at all. The interface is easy to get used to and its rather fast as well. Try it, if i recall correctly its a small download <20mb.
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Last-Attacker

Post by Last-Attacker »

andre20033002 wrote:Are there any good freeware C++ compilers with a GUI ? Besides Visual Basic.
Try wxWidgets with wxDevCpp. Ever since I've discovered this, I never want to go back.
wxWidgets is a very large vast library that supports stuff more than GUI's. You can program with it in C++, LUA, Python and I guess something else aswell. Its got XML, HTML, Image manipulation(JPG, BMP, GIF, PNG, etc), Network sockets, Threads, etc. Plus it allows you to write stuff in windows and (if you have basically used wxWidgets with platform independant code) compile & run it directly in Linux (GTK version of widgets needed).

wxDevCpp is a modified version of DevCpp which supports wxWidgets : help files, already compiled version of widgets & a form designer like VB. Read the documentation, its your best friend and also very well documented. Infact, it tought me so much about threads that it was basically on the same standard as my Computer Sciene class that was on threads.

If you have any problems, you can visit this thread

EDIT : Oh, and it uses your Windows XP skinning theme aswell as your Linux themes. Now thats also cool about wxWidgets. Try it man its TOTALLY worth it. A bit to learn in the beginning and a bit intimidating but when you get the hang of it, you'll like it! But start off with the wxDevCpp's form editor (remember to create a widgets form project first).
Last edited by Last-Attacker on 11 Nov 2005, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
Last-Attacker

Post by Last-Attacker »

andre20033002 wrote:Thanx for the advice is there any really good way to get into a new programming language. I did Pascal at school for a while but want to move on to more practical stuff.
If you can do C++ fluintly, then moving to another language is not a big problem, because basically most of the languages uses the C++ syntax. Java uses the C++ (but modified) syntax. C# uses C++ & Java. VB, well, is in a class of its own I have to say :wink: .

If you want to explore the wonderfull world of C++, you have to keep looking for tutorials, tips & tricks, ask questions, etc. It took me 2 years TIME to fully master C++ and there are still a few things I would like to discover. So get GOOGLEing! :lol:

EDIT : Also, a good site to keep your eyes on is http://www.gamdev.net
axe346

A good Place to start

Post by axe346 »

For Java , C , C# , C++ , Console C++ (also know as Borland C) , C++ OpenGL & C++ Directx
It is based on game writing but should be usefull.
http://www.gametutorials.com/default.aspx?sp=main

A good SA based programers Cominity.
http://www.Sadeveloper.net

Google "NeHe OpenGl" for Visual C++ 6.0 OpenGl Help.

If U are just going to write OpenGl games try Basic4Gl. Linux and Windows version are available for free. It takes care of a lot of coding for you trough setting. It is just a little slow at compileing an .exe file
Believe is for those who aren`t sure. I know -The Collector. It was my brother who broke it , I just fixed it (and know it will never work) - Personal qoute