Chroming Help needed

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
DAE_JA_VOO

Chroming Help needed

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I'm working on a huge mod inspired by the Orac case (bit-tech.net). As you know, the Orac case has alot of stuff inside that's chromed.

So where can i have this done? i found a place here in PTA, but they charge about R120 just for a PSU cover, which is not really alot of cash, but when you want to chrome a PSU cover, 2 Optical drives, a motherboard cover, a card cover etc etc... it all adds up.

I also saw some chrome vinyl.

Anyone got any ideas?
iREADyourEMAIL

Post by iREADyourEMAIL »

schweet - fancy looking into my case and seeing my own face

LOL
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

You can get sticky backed chrome paper. Just peel off the back and stick it on. Obviously the surface has to be flat, else it ain't gonna work properly.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

That's what i meant about chrome vinyl. Where can i get that stuff? (the sticky back chrome paper)
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:That's what i meant about chrome vinyl. Where can i get that stuff? (the sticky back chrome paper)
Oh right, my bad.

I haven't seen it anywhere actually, besides modding websites. You can buy chrome wrapping paper though and just glue it down.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

LOL! that would be the cheapest and crappiest mod ever!
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

actually you are in luck, we do printing on all sorts of vinyl, including the chrome stuff. SO! you can come to us, or you can go to our suppliers, but they will probably only sell you 50/25 m rolls. PM me.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
J2theT
Permanently Banned

Post by J2theT »

I might be able to still have a contact for vinyls just need to confirm first if they have chrome.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

okay, well please let me know as soon as you can. thanks
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
naughty

Post by naughty »

i got a 2 metre roll of chrome vinyl from maizey plastics in durban - you have to be real careful when laying it or you will get bubbles on the surface - also you need to know which sides are going to be visiblew since joins in the vinyl can look really ugly

i would suggest spending the extra on really chroming metal parts since it looks a whole lot better in the long run

use the chrome vinyl on plastic or perspex - or on materials that cannot be really chromed
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

See, I knew you wouldn't resist.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

i found a place in jhb that does chromiing on plastics, but it's unaffordable. so does the chrome vinyl look real?
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
naughty

Post by naughty »

well heres a pic of the roll - i still havent used it - but im gonna use it on my upcoming mod - hopefully its going to look good

sorry for phonecam pic - also reduced in size - cos it was huge

the light wasnt too great when i took the pic so it shines a bit more - but its not a mirror finish - but its good enough for the purpose i require it for ie all flat surfaces - so it wont get the chance to have joins or bumps - but im gonna try and really get it flat so no bubbles appear on the surface