Rock / Metal heads.

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Ark
Processor: E4400
Graphics card: 8800GTX
Memory: 4GB DDR2

Post by Ark »

If you're reading this, Gerbz, CHECK YOUR PM!
16-bit Corpse
Spoiler: (show)
I like scrota.
cOokie_mOnster

Post by cOokie_mOnster »

WTF! Where you posting in the right thread?
Ghost_of_Darkness

Post by Ghost_of_Darkness »

Does anyone know if Trivium's new album is going to be released here in SA, or if it's been released?

In life there are only two certainties, you live and you die
cOokie_mOnster

Post by cOokie_mOnster »

Ascendency?
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Ascendancy US release date was : Mar 15, 2005

Very similar style of music to Soilwork and Killswitch Engage. But no Trapt, Breaking Benjamin or Linkin Park though.

It's at Look And Listen but for 200 bucks!

Here
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
-PhoeniX-

Post by -PhoeniX- »

its not a bad cd but i don't like the band much anymore. i got that roadrunners mix thing. its not super amazing but its not too bad. the new arch enemy is still the shiz (doomsday machine)
bullets are my only weakness!

Spawn Recruiter For the Pride! show me boobies if you want to get in!

...()_()
...(^,#)=3 bunny is a skater!
...(")(")
.\_____/
...O...O
Basipooh
Permanently Banned

Post by Basipooh »

Zenith, Feedback and Sub-Nature will be performing at the Independant Armchair Theatre

Date: Thursday 1st December
Price: R20
Address: 135 Lower Main Road, Observatory, CTN.
P4 3.0E LGA 775 1mb L2
Chaintech v915p
MSI Geforce 6600 Diamond Edition(425/1200)
512 Mb Dual DDR 400
80 Gb ATA 100 Hd
SB Live 7.1

3Dmark 2005: 3012
CHECK OUT MY BAND @ www.the-zenith.com
v1c

Post by v1c »

Hi guys

Im looking at getting an electric guitar, maybe a fender/gibson/ibanez. Im new but I dont want to waste cash on a really cheap crappy thing just to get started, I want something that will still be usefull once I improve even if only as a backup. Also which shops in Joburg would you recommend, preferably randburg/roodeport area. Any advice for a beginner also appreciated.

Thanks
shlebib
Permanently Banned

Post by shlebib »

Wat style of music r u playin?
i wud go for ibanez. (i love ibanez's)
Get a nice ibanez RG
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film. :lol:
v1c

Post by v1c »

shlebib wrote:Wat style of music r u playin?
i wud go for ibanez. (i love ibanez's)
Get a nice ibanez RG
Im not really into the heaver stuff like the other posts ive read here, more of the older stuff like rolling stones, aerosmith, guns n roses, led zeppelin. Some of the newer ones like red hot chili peppers, foo fighters, green day, white stripes, audioslave, coldplay, lenny kravitz etc.
shlebib
Permanently Banned

Post by shlebib »

Wats ur budget?
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film. :lol:
v1c

Post by v1c »

shlebib wrote:Wats ur budget?
With the research Ive done on the net and general opinions, I was leaning more towards a fender strat standard which according to the US website shows it as $530.00, adding duties to that and the shops add on would make it anywhere between R3500 and R5000? Then a small amp aswell, but Im not sure how they price, the only decent review of an amp Ive seen was for the Marshall MG10CD at around 50 pounds (sterling) Not looking for anything hectic amp wise, I'll be jamming (torturing myself) with headphones till Im at a decent level.
Hellfury

Post by Hellfury »

Too bad you don't live in Cape Town. Paul Bothners have the best guitar deals in the country. My dad has bought seven top end guitars(15K +) and basses there.

EDIT: He has been playing bass, guitar and piano foor 16 years
AMD FX 8120 @4.7Ghz |Antec Kuhler 920 |ASUS Sabertooth 990fx| 16Gb DDR3 1866 Vengeance|GTX 460 1gb |OCZ Vertex 3 60gb (OS) + HyperX 240Gb (Games)|2tb+320gb+250gb(x3)+160gb hdds| CM Silent Pro Gold 1000w| Aerocool Strike X ST| Dell 23" LED LCD |Windows 8 Pro x64
Road_Kill

Post by Road_Kill »

If any of you are really metal fans, then you have to be excited about the new KORN album. Listen to the previews and new songs.They are going to redefine nu-metal again. It's a whole new style. It's freaking brilliant! Anyone else here korn fans?
Painkiller

Post by Painkiller »

Cookie-Monster wrote:Roadrunner all stars.

All of roadrunner making a mix cd.
Yeah I got a copy last week
Truly inspirational old school mixed with
new school RoadRunner Artists.
Robert.T also play bass for Suicidal Tendencies.
-PhoeniX-

Post by -PhoeniX- »

v1c most of the bands you mentioned use either gibson or fender guitars. i recommend gibson (cos i play one but they are quite expensive) so if you can find a nice epiphone les paul custom or a nice epiphone sg (preferred) they'll serve you well. or fork out a little extra and buy a gibson sg special! you cant go wrong with one of those. isnt there a music connection in joburg? and remember the prices are really flexible at music stores. you can get discounts on everything!

...()_()
...(")(")
.\_____/
...O...O
v1c

Post by v1c »

-PhoeniX- wrote:v1c most of the bands you mentioned use either gibson or fender guitars. i recommend gibson (cos i play one but they are quite expensive) so if you can find a nice epiphone les paul custom or a nice epiphone sg (preferred) they'll serve you well. or fork out a little extra and buy a gibson sg special! you cant go wrong with one of those. isnt there a music connection in joburg? and remember the prices are really flexible at music stores. you can get discounts on everything!
Thanks -PhoeniX-, I'll check out the gibson website and have a look at the ones you mentioned. When you say flexable, how flexable do you mean? A couple hundred flexable? more? What should I expect to pay roughly for an entry level fender strat (not a squier) and an entry level gibson down here in SA?

What about amps? Have you heard any reviews on the Marshall MG10CD, and how much should I expect to pay amp wise?

Doesnt anyone know of any shops here in joburg? I want a decent place I can go if I run into any problems. I looked at the musicconnection.co.za but its under construction.
deadhands

Post by deadhands »

just popping in to say keep the METAL flowing!!!!!
M1K3

Post by M1K3 »

Am i correct in saying that fenders are better for higher pitched punkish bands whereas Gibson or Jackson is better for deeper harder sound?
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

Depends what pickups (single vs. humbuckers) are installed and where ie. bridge or neck - the closer the pickup is to the bridge, the sharper the tone. The Gibsons tend to have a lot more sustain because they are made of heavier wood than the Strats and have a solid neck/body - the Strat's neck is typically a bolt-on.
v1c wrote:Doesnt anyone know of any shops here in joburg? I want a decent place I can go if I run into any problems. I looked at the musicconnection.co.za but its under construction.
Try Toms
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
M1K3

Post by M1K3 »

Hey thrall, dig the avatar's mod.
-PhoeniX-

Post by -PhoeniX- »

when i say flexible i mean anywhere between 10 and 25% depending on what youre buying and how well you kno the peeps. i spend so much time at bothners in plumstead that everyone knos my name. creepy. don't go for that marshall mg10cd. rather look for a 40 watts or plus amp. the 10 watters sound crappy and empty and its not gonna get you amped up to play. i play on stage with a 40 watt elephant amp (by choice)(all transistor) and its perfect. im getting a new amp soon tho. probably a marshall jcm 800 100 watt full valve head and a marshall 1960's cab loaded with celestions. (5 grand what a bargain) for the sound that you are looking for definately opt for a guitar with humbuckers. gibson sg special will set you back between 8500 and 10000. don't bother with the cheaper jacksons (ie not the usa models) cos they are cheap and sound bad for the money. les paul studio will set you back around 12000. usa fender strat will set you back about 10000. look in the papers as well. i always find real bargains and stuff in there. as far as playing thru head phones you can forget about it unless your amp has an emulated out. cos normally when you plug the head phones in it bypasses the sound the amp + the speaker would be giving you and just gives you the amp sound. (no bass and tinny rubbish tone) but if the amp has an emulated out it takes into account thru circuitry what the speaker would sound like which is a million times better! i would recommend for beginners or someone on a tight budget the roland cube 30. would be a good start. its got built in effects (delay, flanger, phaser, tremolo) and reverb.6 or 7 built in distortions so you can mess around with which direction you want to go in terms of playing. also has amp modelling and an emulated output as well. should go for about 1000 or so.

...()_()
...(")(")
.\_____/
...O...O
v1c

Post by v1c »

Thanks, I emailed one place and they say an american fender strat for R9000.00 or a mexican for R4000.00, none of the other stores I found via the yellow pages had an email address, so I'll have to do the foot work for the rest of the stores. What should I look out for when buying a guitar? general problems I should know.

@Thrall - Thanks for the link.
-PhoeniX-

Post by -PhoeniX- »

there is a long list of things but i'll try sum it up for you

fretboard mounting on the neck. must be plush and even. also no cracks in the fretboard.

nut mounting must be plush with the headstock and the fretboard.

pickup mountings must be nice. don't get confused cos gibson mount their pickups very loosely.

ask the peeps how long the guitar has been on the floor for. (cos the longer its been on the floor the more people have played on it.

scan it thoroughly for dings and dents of any kind.

neck mounting to the body must be solid solid! don't make any exceptions especially to this area!

input jack musnt pop or crackle at all. the input jack must be solid.

pickup selector switch must click solidly into the different positions and not pop out by itself.

tuners musnt slip out of tune or anything.

if you have a tremolo on your guitar of choice (then you didnt take my advice about the gibsons)
make sure it doesnt go out of tune easily when you do whammy dives or anything like that.

if the guitar doesnt come with a hard case get one as soon as you can. preferrebly before you even leave the shop.

anything else you need to kno dont be afraid to ask

...()_()
...(")(")
.\_____/
...O...O
v1c

Post by v1c »

-PhoeniX- wrote:there is a long list of things but i'll try sum it up for you

fretboard mounting on the neck. must be plush and even. also no cracks in the fretboard.

nut mounting must be plush with the headstock and the fretboard.

pickup mountings must be nice. don't get confused cos gibson mount their pickups very loosely.

ask the peeps how long the guitar has been on the floor for. (cos the longer its been on the floor the more people have played on it.

scan it thoroughly for dings and dents of any kind.

neck mounting to the body must be solid solid! don't make any exceptions especially to this area!

input jack musnt pop or crackle at all. the input jack must be solid.

pickup selector switch must click solidly into the different positions and not pop out by itself.

tuners musnt slip out of tune or anything.

if you have a tremolo on your guitar of choice (then you didnt take my advice about the gibsons)
make sure it doesnt go out of tune easily when you do whammy dives or anything like that.

if the guitar doesnt come with a hard case get one as soon as you can. preferrebly before you even leave the shop.

anything else you need to kno dont be afraid to ask
Thanks, I was told a solid case is better than the flexable ones, why is this? I also found this artical http://www.gibson.com/reference/eghowto/index.html if anyone else is interested.