Uninstalling Mandrake Linux

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
hail10

Uninstalling Mandrake Linux

Post by hail10 »

Hey guys,

i'm a bit new to this sort of stuff, i took a chance and recently installed linux off the pcf dvd, the install was smooth but after 5 min of playing around in it i realised its not for me, the problem is getting rid of it.

i have two hard drives, a 30gig (fat32) and a 200gig (ntfs). i've got winxp on the 30gig and linux on the 200gig. during the install i allocated about 5 gig for linux.

i eventually got a bit frustrated and used partition magic to delete the linux partitions and then i merged the free 5gig with the remainder of the 200gig HD. I don't know why but i thought this would work but now i stil get the linux menu on booting (though i can't load linux, xp loads fine when selected). i expected it all to be erased when i deleted the 5 gigs of linux, i guess it didn't... :roll:

can any one advise me, i'd like to remove the boot menu...
and just for future reference, whats the proper way to uninstall linux?

any help would be appreciated, thnks. :)
Android

Post by Android »

wookie
Last edited by Android on 22 Aug 2005, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
\\\\\\\" irc.darkhaven.org.za \\\\\\\"
Android

Post by Android »

"Use the Recovery Console. You can use the fixmbr command in Recovery Console to repair the MBR. You can start Recovery Console by booting from the Windows XP Professional operating system CD; so this troubleshooting method is available even if Windows XP Professional does not start in normal or safe mode. However, you cannot use Recovery Console to repair partition tables that were damaged by viruses or other corruption.
Use DiskProbe. You can use DiskProbe to restore both the MBR and the partition table, but you must have previously backed up this information by using DiskProbe, and you must be able to start Windows XP Professional"

BLAH BLAH BLAH "vomits on Xp"
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

Or you can manually edit the boot.ini file. Click on start - run and type in msconfig.

Goto the boot.ini tab and you should see a line referencing linux, delete this, or you could just select xp as the default os and select not to display the boot menu if you not sure what to delete.
hail10

Post by hail10 »

thanks guys, i'll try that out asap :)
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

No prob ............
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

You dont know what you missing out on by removing Linux!~ ;-)
Android

Post by Android »

BeOS
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

AlphA wrote:You dont know what you missing out on by removing Linux!~ ;-)
To each his own .................. but really take another look before you just delete it. Maybe even take another look at another distro but don't just forget about linux
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Stevo - Correct......to each his own. I was just spreading the word of good ol' Linux ;-) As I learn more and more of its flexibilty, the more I love it!
hail10

Post by hail10 »

dont get me wrong guys, i've always wanted to try out linux and i stil wanna play around with it properly, but i'm sure it'll take some time to get used to and right now i don't have the time to fiddle with it. i got 10 ubuntu cd's lying around somewhere, maybe i'll try those out next time...

hopefully pcf will keep d linux coming :)