IT field

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Sonic1

IT field

Post by Sonic1 »

I am thinking of taking a course in IT but am unsure of what kind of carrer opportunities are available in a field such as this. What sort of career streams are available to someone with an IT diploma? Where are the best places in Cape Town to study? What kind of requirements do you need to be able to enter such a stream of study? Can anyone help? 8)
skunkymunky
Permanently Banned

Post by skunkymunky »

i do I.T @ cape technikon.

they mostly focused on the commerce side of things, so they still teaching us cobol & shyte.

but there is also c++ programming, web design, e-cormmerce all tht shyte.

maths is a pre-requesite (spelling)
Fool people into thinking youve got a horse by taking off a unicorns horn
SquattingDog

Post by SquattingDog »

CTI is also a ggod place for studies, they have a very good track record.
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

The IT sector is pretty messy at the moment. there are lots of people looking for jobs, but all the companies want experienced employees! very few of them are willing to take fresh graduates, and when they do, the number of available jobs greatly exceeds the number of graduates.

My advice to anyone would be to only do IT if that is what you really want to do for the rest of your life.
Thrall wrote: "Find something you'd gladly do for free the rest of your life - then work out a way to make a living from it".
Also, don't do IT if you heard that there is a fortune to be made. 10% of the people make 90% of the money, and the rest of us do the work for an average salary.

If this is how you feel go and do IT, but find your field of interest and also what you're good at. Don't do an MCSE because you heard they make lots of money. If you don't like what you do you won't be happy in your job. On the other hand, if you like programming, but suck at it, there's no point really.

Another thing to considder is that whatever you study, think about the time frame. If you decide to do a BSc or a BTech, thats 4 years. the situation and need for IT personell can change a lot in 4 years.

I did a 1 year Computer science course at CTI. Luckily, I found a job before I was even done with the course.

Hope this helps a little.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Kronos makes some good points.

I'm completeing my National Diploma in IT this year (4 years par time).
I already work in IT, but did not when I started this course. In my case, I will still go on to do an MCSE after this as it will help me move up the ladder faster.

Your best bet is to decide whether you enjoy working with hardware and troubleshooting problems (MSCE) or whther you prefer working with software and designing applications (MCSD\BTech IT\BSc CompSci).

Theres also web development, Databases like Oracle, JDE and SAP.

You can even go the project management or systems analyst route (BCom IS) - alot of money there....

Its wide open - do some research and find out what most appeals to you
g3ck0

Post by g3ck0 »

Development wise, I'd say C# (in conjunction with a thorough knowlege of the .NET Framework) is the way to go!
Athlon64 3700+ San Diego || DFI NF4 Sli-Dr || Chaintech 6600 GT || 80GB Seagate ATA100 || 2x512 Mushkin Redline XP4000 || Cooled by: VapoChill PE
SquattingDog

Post by SquattingDog »

Some very good advise here. Regarding the MCSE or MCSA. You guy and gals where right sayen that you won't make a living out of it, but it is a great launch block for starters.

I did my MCSE and if it was not for that backgrouns i wouldn't have been here today. Like they said, there is alot of IT patchs you can take just make sure you follow the right one.

Wnat some advise.....FOLLOW THE WHITE RABBIT...heheheh...saw some previews of Matrix:Revolutions last night....1 word.....WOW
LordRage

Post by LordRage »

cant just say do sap, you know how much it costs??? IT IS A FORTUNE like 100K