Linux Questions - Answer this

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Linux Questions - Answer this

Post by StarBound »

Ok, I want to know about linux and I've already asked a lot of questions but I can't really get to the point. So now I'll ask this in an entirely now post. Anyone who knows please give me the answers. And please be patiant. I don't have linux yet and I need to know as much as possible before I give windows the boot. So here we go...

General:
1 - What is linux? A OS to rival Microsoft but who are the programmers and how do they fix my problem or anyone elses problems?
2 - What are the different distributions and what makes them different? Are they just as much different technology as NT and 95?
3 - What are the features of each (or your recommended distro) and it's user-friendliness for someone who is almost a solid windows user?

Gaming:
I am a gamer but I'm moving away from pc games and focusing on a console for dedicated and no non-sence gaming. I still have a rather impressive pc collection I'd still like to play though so...
1 - How compatible is linux with windows games? What is the directX equivilant and how would I ensure my games work?
2 - My hardware might not be state of the art but it is the out going impressers of a year and more gone by. What support is there for hardware from ATI,nvidia,creative,logitech and other possible gaming hardware?

Media:
I use the k-lite pack because it provided the most compatibility for media. Might not be the best but it works for me so...
1 - What media players and codecs are avalible for linux?
2 - What cd/dvd writing software is there to choose from?
3 - Can it or does it have a codec to play mp3/wmv/wma/mpeg/dvd/avi/real media/mov/ogg/ogm?
4 - Are the common picture format supported like jpeg, bmp, gif?
5 - What kind of encoding and decoding software exists?

Work and security:
Obviously my system isn't built for just gaming and I'm not a millionare either. But I need some form of protection so is there any advice on this...
1 - Does linux have virusses and if so is there an anti-virus or are there too few to make an AV program?
2 - I'm almost sure that anything connected to the internet can be hacked so are there any firewalls or things like that or doesn't linux require the same protection and baracade windows needs?
3 - What office suites are there? And how do they compare?

Other:
Almost finished...
1 - How does a network over and internet work?
2 - Is lanning with windows and linux compatible or will I require another piece of software?

Well that's all I can think of right now. I know there are more questions but I can't think of any right now. Please help if you can.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
RuadRauFlessa

Re: Linux Questions - Answer this

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

StarBound wrote:General:
1 - What is linux? A OS to rival Microsoft but who are the programmers and how do they fix my problem or anyone elses problems?
Linux is a Operating System Kernel (OSK) developed by a joung aspoiring developer that had way too much time on his hands during Univarsity. Oh and as if you couldn't have guessed his name is Linus Trovals. The thing with support is that you never really know who has conrtibuted what to the complete OS since each distribution is as diffirent from each other as night to day. Each of these distributors has their own method of support and thus diffirent channels through which to log a problem.
StarBound wrote:2 - What are the different distributions and what makes them different? Are they just as much different technology as NT and 95?
The kernel of all the availalbe distributions are the same otherwise it wouldn't have been Linux. However the version of the kernel might differ for diffirent releases by diffirent vendors. The main vendors would be Red Hat, SUSE, Debian, Caldera, HP, Symbian, Mandrake in no particular order of merit.
StarBound wrote:3 - What are the features of each (or your recommended distro) and it's user-friendliness for someone who is almost a solid windows user?
This is a difficult one as I have said they can diffier verry much from each other. The preffered distro would depend on your specific needs. If you simply want to do wordprocewssing @ home I would advise Red Hat if you are planning on rolling it out in a big organisation I would advise SUSE, if you want to play games go for Debian or Mandrake. They are all good but you would have to look at what you need it for. It is not like Windows where you have a one OS sollution on a desktop or server level.
StarBound wrote:Gaming:
I am a gamer but I'm moving away from pc games and focusing on a console for dedicated and no non-sence gaming. I still have a rather impressive pc collection I'd still like to play though so...
1 - How compatible is linux with windows games? What is the directX equivilant and how would I ensure my games work?
Well there is a couple of windows emulators which would be of use. From my experience they do not work verry well but there are ppl I have seen to have been able to run games on these emulators at greater performance levels than on Windows. There are OpenGL versions for linux obviously but for the DirectX stuff I am not so certain.
StarBound wrote:2 - My hardware might not be state of the art but it is the out going impressers of a year and more gone by. What support is there for hardware from ATI,nvidia,creative,logitech and other possible gaming hardware?
All of those you have named has Linux versions of their drivers available from their download sites. If that is what you are referring to.
StarBound wrote:Media:
I use the k-lite pack because it provided the most compatibility for media. Might not be the best but it works for me so...
1 - What media players and codecs are avalible for linux?
There are as many as the ammount of fingers and toes which I do not have. All of the codecs which works on Windows will be available for Linux. You can even get Quicktime and Realplayer for linux.
StarBound wrote:2 - What cd/dvd writing software is there to choose from?
Not much from my experience but they all seem to work equally well. I am using K3B which isn't too bad. They all come standard with your chosen distribution and are thus tested on the OS.
StarBound wrote:3 - Can it or does it have a codec to play mp3/wmv/wma/mpeg/dvd/avi/real media/mov/ogg/ogm?
Check No1. Also it is standard in any of the latest distros.
StarBound wrote:4 - Are the common picture format supported like jpeg, bmp, gif?
Yip.
StarBound wrote:5 - What kind of encoding and decoding software exists?
countless you just have to search for them on the net.
StarBound wrote:Work and security:
Obviously my system isn't built for just gaming and I'm not a millionare either. But I need some form of protection so is there any advice on this...
1 - Does linux have virusses and if so is there an anti-virus or are there too few to make an AV program?
There are Av programs for linux out there but if I were you I wouldn't worry about virusses on Linux sice there are only three known virusses fo linux at this time.
StarBound wrote:2 - I'm almost sure that anything connected to the internet can be hacked so are there any firewalls or things like that or doesn't linux require the same protection and baracade windows needs?
Well there are firewalls you could use. Nothing and I mean nothing is unhackable. It is just more difficult to get into some systems than others. However I have learned a couple of things which would make it impossible for someone to hack a system over the net but that is costly and only viable for big companies.
StarBound wrote:3 - What office suites are there? And how do they compare?
KOffice and OpenOffice are the two most widely used office suites available. OpenOffice can read and write to any Office2K+ format files. It is also the one that is derived from Corel Office.
StarBound wrote:Other:
Almost finished...
1 - How does a network over and internet work?
Linux wise. Quite simple actually. The main catch to the matter is that it is not quite as transparent as in windows yet. However they are getting there. You can take my word for it when I statye that browsing from a linux computer and opening a share on a windows machine is even faster than browsing that same share from a windows box.
StarBound wrote:2 - Is lanning with windows and linux compatible or will I require another piece of software?
I see no reason why it shouldn't be compattable. They both adhere to strick regulations regarding network data transmission lain down by the IEEE community (RFC's).

Any more don't hesitate to shout.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I've bought Linux format since I didn't want to download the 3 cds. I've got Mandrake 10.1 installed.

This is now a gaming question.

Where can I find the code (whatever its called) to install and run:
1 - Doom3
2 - UT
3 - Unreal2
4 - Red Alert 2 and Yuri's revenge
5 - Warcraft 3 + TFT
6 - FarCry
7 - HL2
8 - NFSU
9 - Max Payne 2

Another question. Does mandrake 10.1 have the most updated drivers for a Radeon 9700 pro, nforce2 motherboard, SBA2zs and logitech mouse?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

Hello, here you can find Cedega: Read the page, follow the links and download.

http://www.transgaming.com/subscriber_benefits.php

Enjoy.
Phreak

Post by Phreak »

I also have a few questions.

I have a Lucent Winmodem, and the only thing that is keeping me from switching to Linux, is this. Winmodems are not supported by Linux. Now, I know there are drivers for Winmodems, but I cannot seem to get them to work.

I want to use Linux Ubuntu, hoary version. So, can someone post COMPLETE, and I mean 110% complete tut on how to do this. I have read many before, and they all talk in a language that I do not completely understand. so, please help!
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

phreak - Winmodems DO work in linux. From what I understand, ISDN is even more of a problem; but my ISDN modem works with the bundles drives in SuSE 9 Enterprise and SuSE 9.3. Its an ACEEX modem - chipset --> Winbond 6692.

I have never used a 56K modem in Linux so I can't give you specifics on how to go about this.
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

Phreak: Try this link, it should point you in the right direction: http://www.linmodems.org/

Alpha: Yes, the Winbond 6692's are pretty well supported ISDN chipsets, quite simple to get them going :) Especially with Knoppix Bootable cd.....just imagine.....no virii able to destroy your harddrive...worst that can happen is a reboot, and any mem resident virus will be flushed....lekker....
DEeRaY

Post by DEeRaY »

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsection/

Also a nice how-to section on how to get your games going in linux
Phreak

Post by Phreak »

linmodems.com is exactly my problem, because one they are difficult to navigate and they do not give me the information. People always send me to that website, but they dont help me. Their help is so...technical. :'(
Kiran

Post by Kiran »

Hopefully I can answer some:

General:
1. There are'nt any fixed list of programmers per se. It's sort of like this forum, where a few people (moderators) keep everything running smoothly, sometimes throwing out the trash, and basically anybody and everybody can contribute, no matter how trivial. Linux has certain levels i.e. the kernel, and the distribution. The official kernel is maintained by Torvalds & gang, while you can modify and recompile should you wish. The distribution is just the nicely packaged CD with graphics and all the other goodies, anybody can create one.

In terms of "fixing your problems" anybody can offer support which is the main business model of open-source. If you're willing to pay, check out www.canonical.com or google for SA companies. If the moola is low, everything you need can be found by googling "howto" and some keywords of your problem. Also local user groups are a great help, check www.lead.org.za, or GLUG or CLUG.

2. Basically their differences lie in what packages (apps) they come with and some other technical stuff, but for all intensive purposes, you can regard them all as Linux since they all interact harmoniuosly. One noteworthy difference is how your apps are packaged...

Yusses bru, your list is long and I've been awake for 48hrs so sorry but maybe later I'll answer more.

In the meantime check out the LUG's.