DHCP not working via wireless with Firestarter running

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
AlphA

DHCP not working via wireless with Firestarter running

Post by AlphA »

Hi guys,

My gateway is a SuSE 9.3 box. I am running Firestarter on that machine. My network setup is as follows.

I have a D-link wired switch, to which my gateway and another client are hardwired to. I also have wireless access point connected to this switch. I have a laptop which connects wirelessly to the Access Point, which provides the laptop with access to other machines on the network. I am running DHCP on my server, and it works great. The laptop always gets its IP address from the server, so does my other machine (hardwired to the switch).

The problem is whenever Firestarter is running, the laptop is unable to receive an IP address from DHCP. The hardwired client gets its IP everytime, without problems. If I close firestarter, the laptop is then able to receive its IP address and is able to surf the internet.

Does anybody know why this is happening? Any input would be appreciated ...
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

I have managed to resolve this issue. I had the firewall set to use my existing SuSE DHCP settings. For some reason, that setting did'nt assign an IP address to my notebook via wireless.

I changed the firewall to use its own DHCP configuration and the problem is sorted out...

Strange....but true..